Smart Watches

Anybody have one?

I’ve been totally uninterested in them since they came out as I always have my phone like most people. However when I started this 10,000 steps a day carry on, I got pissed off with my phone rattling in my pocket.

So, being me I ordered myself the £800 apple ultra for Father’s Day. :lol:  Anyway, as I still wasn’t that convinced by them I was very sensible and sent it back without even opening it. Next I convinced myself the cheaper SE model at about £300 was a better bet so ordered that and cancelled due to a fear of a better watch being launched in September.

Finally, I bought one off Market place for £95 from a very nice young chap who lives next door to the back page in china town. (My family all thought I was mad going to meet a chap in Chinatown whose Facebook profile has him posing with a rifle). :lol: 

Anyway, can’t believe how much I love it! Should have seen me in Aldi paying for my shit on my watch like some sort of international spy. Lobbing it out and doing my stuff while looking round for gasps of wonder from my fellow shoppers :lol: 

It’s much better than my phone for keeping up to date with notifications and I love how it wakes me up with just a little tap on my wrist.

As I have no friends, I just need one of you to ring me at lunchtime when I’m in the pub so I can talk to my wrist. Feel free to hang up when I’ve answered. 07723417645

Edited by Christmas Tree
  • Haha 1

If that's your real mobile number, take it down now. :lol:

There's not just the people that post on here viewing the forum. 

I've got a Garmin, cos I'm an athlete. 

• Haha 5

Screenshotted that number before it’s taken down. :lol: 

I had a Garmin for years but ‘upgraded’ to an Apple Watch to see what the hype is about and sold it again two weeks later. I can’t be doing with charging it every day. I get over a week out of my Garmin so ended up getting a newer version. The screen on the Apple Watch is better but other than that my Garmin does everything I need it to at a fraction of the price.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

(My family all thought I was mad going to meet a chap in Chinatown whose Facebook profile has him posing with a rifle). :lol: 

:crylaughin:

Really nice lad though

IMG_6076.thumb.jpeg.d13bf182486b6270ef3a156a2024e3a0.jpeg

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Anybody have one?

I’ve been totally uninterested in them since they came out as I always have my phone like most people. However when I started this 10,000 steps a day carry on, I got pissed off with my phone rattling in my pocket.

So, being me I ordered myself the £800 apple ultra for Father’s Day. :lol:  Anyway, as I still wasn’t that convinced by them I was very sensible and sent it back without even opening it. Next I convinced myself the cheaper SE model at about £300 was a better bet so ordered that and cancelled due to a fear of a better watch being launched in September.

Finally, I bought one off Market place for £95 from a very nice young chap who lives next door to the back page in china town. (My family all thought I was mad going to meet a chap in Chinatown whose Facebook profile has him posing with a rifle). :lol: 

Anyway, can’t believe how much I love it! Should have seen me in Aldi paying for my shit on my watch like some sort of international spy. Lobbing it out and doing my stuff while looking round for gasps of wonder from my fellow shoppers :lol: 

It’s much better than my phone for keeping up to date with notifications and I love how it wakes me up with just a little tap on my wrist.

As I have no friends, I just need one of you to ring me at lunchtime when I’m in the pub so I can talk to my wrist. Feel free to hang up when I’ve answered. 07723417645

The best advice I can give is do not, under any circumstances, mess with the Triads 👍🏻

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Screenshotted that number before it’s taken down. :lol: 

I had a Garmin for years but ‘upgraded’ to an Apple Watch to see what the hype is about and sold it again two weeks later. I can’t be doing with charging it every day. I get over a week out of my Garmin so ended up getting a newer version. The screen on the Apple Watch is better but other than that my Garmin does everything I need it to at a fraction of the price.

Aye the charging thing was my main reason for waiting til September to see if it’s improved. That said I just bang it on charge and stick it in the glovebox when I go to work and a few hours later it’s ready for the day ahead. 

Garmin is where it's at. Mines had some dogs abuse and it still looks new over 2 years later. Ridiculously tough. Battery gets hammered if you're using the mapping function in activity mode but generally get about a week before charge.

Garmin Fenix shits all over the Apple watch and from what I've seen all of the others too. 

A charge lasts about 4 weeks and that's with a constant display - none of this swiping or movement nonsense. 

I’ve had every form of Chinese government spy equipment from huawei to the xiaomi watches because they came free with the phone.

I’ve got an Apple Watch now because I got an iPhone. Other than charging every 36 to 48 hours it’s absolutely mint. I just charge it up over night because I already know I have sleep apnea from the obesity and I don’t need some know it all AI telling me.

• Haha 3

I'm thinking of getting one now I am getting fitter. Still not sure I like the idea of being constantly biomonitored though. Also nit convinced how accurate the biomonitoring is, not sure a watch can really measure your BP and do I want this information? Also, I pretty take my phone everywhere so not sure a watch adds much - can they use do Google pay etc when not paired to your phone? 

I'll probably try to get an offer to get a wearable with my next phone purchase. But this phone has proven so good that's probably a couple of years away. 

You can't take your phone swimming - obviously only applies if swimming is one of your activities of course. 

3 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

(My family all thought I was mad going to meet a chap in Chinatown whose Facebook profile has him posing with a rifle). :lol: 

:crylaughin:

3 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Really nice lad though

IMG_6076.thumb.jpeg.d13bf182486b6270ef3a156a2024e3a0.jpeg

On the plus side he was wearing a pink carnation as well so it was like silk and steel before he was drugged. 

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I paid for my beer in the pool yesterday with my watch so there is that.

Which Garmin do you have, fellow athlete? I've just got a Forerunner 245 but thinking of upgrading at some point cos I've had it a while.

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Which Garmin do you have, fellow athlete? I've just got a Forerunner 245 but thinking of upgrading at some point cos I've had it a while.

Mines a Venu. It’s a pretty cheap one, I can’t really see what the more expensive ones offer that this one doesn’t.

• Like 1

I did have a Garmin Forerunner 735XT. Lasted a good 4 years but then the battery started to die quickly.  I got a Suunto Vertical in Jan. Very impressed with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Renton said:

I'm going swimming today, for leisure more than exercise. What do I need a watch in a pool for though? 

Heart rate, calories and a couple of swimming metrics for the more serious (not me). 

If you do more than one thing you may as well measure them all.