Who hopes Palace get relegated and Guehi leaves on a free?

Marc Guehi  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, let's go into another season with murphy and miggy as first choice RW (six goals between them last season) - they're sure to fire us back into top four contention. 

i like both players, they're honest grafters and always try but let's get real - they should be rotation options. if our saudi overlords are to be believed and they want us to get to number one, we can't be going into another season with steve bruce-era players fighting it out to start in a key forward position. 

Their out of possession work might just do that, you know, the bit no-one (apart from Eddie) ever mentions.

When we do (and we will) upgrade RW it's be someone who's more dynamic going forward than those 2 and as workaholic going backwards. Who that is, I have no idea, but I bet the club have an eye on him.

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Why? Let's be honest, none of us have any idea what offers the club have put forward as it's not loose-lipped like the Ashley era. We haven't a clue man, we're basing it all on media speculation :lol:

parish isn't letting his superstar, english central defender whose just been roundly accepted as the stand out performer at the euros go for £45m.  :lol:

not happening man.

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You literally just said we started two full backs at CB in the last game. :cuppa:

I was under the impression that Kelly was signed as a CB who could provide occasional cover at LB, a bit like Dan Burn so I won't dig him out too much for struggling at LB the other day. Hopefully he'll be able to do a job in that position in some games, a bit like Burn can. 

I actually said we've got full backs playing at CB, I didn't put a numeric figure on it. The point I'm getting at is we've no cover there so in my mind it has to be the priority. It was that way for me ever since the 2nd ACL happened. 

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

parish isn't letting his superstar, english central defender whose just been roundly accepted as the stand out performer at the euros go for £45m.  :lol:

not happening man.

He's a bag of hot air, that one. And he's got previous - he wasn't going to sell Zaha to Man Utd a decade back for anything less than a British record. It ended up being no more than £15m :lol:

I don't expect we'll get him for that amount, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it happened.

22 minutes ago, Craig said:

It cracks me up how people are absolutely convinced of the numbers being banded around as well. Since the takeover, this club has played their business very close to their chests so I take the reporting of £60m / £65m / £70m by the rags with an absolutely massive pinch of salt. 

Too many of our fans have decided they don't want him on the basis that the deal is taking too long to conclude / he's obviously not wanting to come as he keeps playing for Palace (serious, WTAF?!) / the cost is too much. 

I'll absolutely crease up if we end up signing him on Friday for £45-50m and he's in the squad for Sunday. What are the pissy-pants brigade going to do then? :jesuswept:

We could equally end up with no-one which comes off bad when you’ve been publicly chasing a player for month solid. (I’m sure we are looking at other players but it’s the illusion it gives off)

ill be glad when it’s all over.

Just now, Craig said:

He's a bag of hot air, that one. And he's got previous - he wasn't going to sell Zaha to Man Utd a decade back for anything less than a British record. It ended up being no more than £15m :lol:

I don't expect we'll get him for that amount, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it happened.

you've listed another reason why parish doesn't let him go for £45m, the two acls.

he is a cunt, but probably not a stupid one.

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

IF we do sign him I wouldn't be surprised at 'undisclosed fee' 

It'll almost certainly be that if it happens.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

you've listed another reason why parish doesn't let him go for £45m, the two acls.

He has just sold Joachim Anderson for £30m which seems low when you’re asking to get £70m for Guehi.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

I actually said we've got full backs playing at CB, I didn't put a numeric figure on it. The point I'm getting at is we've no cover there so in my mind it has to be the priority. It was that way for me ever since the 2nd ACL happened. 

i mean we do have cover in that position - we have Schar, Burn, Kelly, Krafth and A Murphy to cover two positions - plus Botman and Lascelles to return half way through the season. a stop gap loan or a cheaper younger player with potential, to eventually replace Schar, would give us the cover we need until the other two get back from injury. it would also mean we have more to invest on a much-needed RW. 

i hope we can do both. we need a RW and a CB. i think the window is a failure however if we begin yet another season with miggy and murphy at RW as they're no longer good enough for where we aspire to be.

the ideal scenario is they secure Guehi (if he is indeed their top target) AND a quality RW, but the mood music around the club doesn't suggest that will happen and i think that would be a mistake 

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

He has just sold Joachim Anderson for £30m which seems low when you’re asking to get £70m for Guehi.

is guehi better than anderson? let's forget about the english player tax for a minute. i'm not sure. perhaps @The Fish can give is another player comparison. 

1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

Successful businessman so you've absolutely nailed him here. 

He's in the strong position where he doesn't need to sell so I don't blame him for pushing the figure up. True understanding will be what Guehi is thinking privately. If he wants the move, then Parish runs the risk of him playing his contract down for 18 months and losing him for nothing. Even a 'not-stupid cunt' of a businessman is going to ponder that than just think of the maximum £ signs.

• Like 1

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

Only a few more days until he signs or transfer window shuts. I cannot wait for this thread to end.

yeah, i for one cant wait to get back to talking about the shitty ticketing ballot system

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

is guehi better than anderson? let's forget about the english player tax for a minute. i'm not sure. perhaps @The Fish can give is another player comparison. 

from the eyeball inspection (admittedly I haven’t watched them that closely) but Anderson seems stronger (in both air and tackle) but Guehi has good recovery pace. Guehi might be slightly better on the ball.  Anderson is more a shithouse as well.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Conventional wisdom dictates that we must have been lead to believe that Guehi would be available within a price range we were willing to go to. Then Palace have moved the posts thinking we would just pony up the extra. We haven't because we were already stretching and we've not managed to sell anyone.

There must be better value options out there that still offer a strong long term replacement for Schär, but from what we've been told about we're not very advanced on anyone. Sure they might not be English or have Premier League experience but neither was Botman (or Schär for that matter).

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i mean we do have cover in that position - we have Schar, Burn, Kelly, Krafth and A Murphy to cover two positions - plus Botman and Lascelles to return half way through the season. a stop gap loan or a cheaper younger player with potential, to eventually replace Schar, would give us the cover we need until the other two get back from injury. it would also mean we have more to invest on a much-needed RW. 

i hope we can do both. we need a RW and a CB. i think the window is a failure however if we begin yet another season with miggy and murphy at RW as they're no longer good enough for where we aspire to be.

the ideal scenario is they secure Guehi (if he is indeed their top target) AND a quality RW, but the mood music around the club doesn't suggest that will happen and i think that would be a mistake 

Who's the rabbit of a RW they're going to pull out of a hat? 

As for Kelly, Krafth & A Murphy as cover (assuming you're conceding Schar & Burn are first choice), it devalues, IMO, your argument for a RW ahead of a CB. Miggy / Murphy at RW are far better cover than Kelly, Krafth & A Murphy at CB. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Read that back again and tell me how that is anywhere near great at the heart of our defence, and you go on continuously about RW where we have a choice of Murphy/Miggy/Gordon/Barnes. From where I'm sat the latter is a much healthier position. Could be better, sure, but it's not desperate and in comparison to CB it's great.

• Like 1

I’m bowing out of this thread but this will be my guess:

Guehi won’t sign and if he does then I don’t think he’ll be anywhere near a rolls Royce CB.

i think we’ll get a RW in on loan at the last minute.

Pray Episode 8 GIF by Law & Order

Just now, Toonpack said:

Read that back again and tell me how that is anywhere near great at the heart of our defence, and you go on continuously about RW where we have a choice of Murphy/Miggy/Gordon/Barnes. From where I'm sat the latter is a much healthier position. Could be better, sure, but it's not desperate and in comparison to CB it's great.

Inspiring Tim Tebow GIF by Home Free

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

i'm going to respectfully disagree. burn and schar are good players. we are led to believe kelly is too. krafth is an emergency option and has played more often in that role than we would have liked - solid defender, but he doesn't have the technical ability required to be called upon regularly, which is why i think a loan signing or a younger centre back with potential could fill the gap until botman and lascelles return. 

murphy and miggy man - do i need to say more? they're not good enough anymore. 

maybe barnes/gordon is the solution down the right, but we haven't seen much evidence that howe fancies either player in that position so far. it feels like murphy and miggy are the players he is going to use in his sytem at RW - not good enough, sorry. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

10 minutes ago, Craig said:

Who's the rabbit of a RW they're going to pull out of a hat? 

As for Kelly, Krafth & A Murphy as cover (assuming you're conceding Schar & Burn are first choice), it devalues, IMO, your argument for a RW ahead of a CB. Miggy / Murphy at RW are far better cover than Kelly, Krafth & A Murphy at CB. 

no idea, but they have had months to figure all of this out.

we have days left of the window now. they need to do something - in both positions - but it looks like the time invested in the guehi "saga" has been time wasted.

hopefully they don't end up panic-buying. it's not something we've seen since the takeover so far, which i why i think people are questioning the new recruitment system. it's in its infancy, so they're might be a period of adjustment while eales and mitchell find their feet, but we never saw anything like this play out when amanda was in charge. deals were concluded without the media getting wind of it and most signings were concluded so the players could be bedded in with a bit of pre-season behind them. 

12 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I’m bowing out of this thread but this will be my guess:

Guehi won’t sign and if he does then I don’t think he’ll be anywhere near a rolls Royce CB.

i think we’ll get a RW in on loan at the last minute.

Pray Episode 8 GIF by Law & Order

guehi and a RW on loan isn't the worst outcome. both positions need to be improved

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm going to respectfully disagree. burn and schar are good players. we are led to believe kelly is too. krafth is an emergency option and has played more often in that role than we would have liked - solid defender, but he doesn't have the technical ability required to be called upon regularly, which is why i think a loan signing or a younger centre back with potential could fill the gap until botman and lascelles return. 

murphy and miggy man - do i need to say more? they're not good enough anymore. 

maybe barnes/gordon is the solution down the right, but we haven't seen much evidence that howe fancies either player in that position so far. it feels like murphy and miggy are the players he is going to use in his sytem at RW - not good enough, sorry. 

Look man, no-one is disputing an upgraded RW would be good, but from a priority perspective CB is streets ahead, not only for now but for the very near future (because our current 2 best ones are all but codgers)

• Like 1

The frustrating thing for me is how some other clubs seem to conclude big deals in a matter of days. Liverpool close to signing Chiesa and just signed Mamardashvili, despite only being linked with them a few days ago. City's Gundogan deal was done in about 48hours. Felix to Chelsea was done quickly too. 

We haven't really done any "deals" yet. 2 x free agents, a GK as part of a swap deal, an automatic purchase for Hall and a reserve striker from a relegated team.

Im all for not spunking money on the wrong players, but the likes of Isak, Bruno, Tonali, Gordon and Joelinton aren't here to challenge for 7th again with zero additions to the 1st XI

• Kid Dynamite changed the title to Who hopes Palace get relegated and Guehi leaves on a free?