Who hopes Palace get relegated and Guehi leaves on a free?

Marc Guehi  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

a case so flimsy it would be dismissed before going trial. 

we are debating whether it's worth spunking our entire summer budget on guehi - you appear to assume a bullshit artist on a message board should have inside knowledge of which players are available and willing to join us. how the fuck would any of us know about any of that? 

Who’s said it’s our whole budget ? We equally could have more to spend but we aren’t because the right player, for us, isn’t available.

Eddie basically laid it out in that press conference you took Hope’s twisted words for, he said it’s about bringing in players who improve the squad with their whole game, with and without the ball and how they’ll fit into the group. It’s multi-faceted, it’s not just “ooh he’s great at going forward” it’s the players whole game/character they’re looking at and I’m personally fine with that.

• Like 1

Just now, Toonpack said:

Who’s said it’s our whole budget ? We equally could have more to spend but we aren’t because the right player, for us, isn’t available.

Eddie basically laid it out in that press conference you took Hope’s twisted words for, he said it’s about bringing in players who improve the squad with their whole game, with and without the ball and how they’ll fit into the group. It’s multi-faceted, it’s not just “ooh he’s great at going forward” it’s the players whole game/character they’re looking at and I’m personally fine with that.

I mean, no one said it but it's hard to imagine they have much more to spend if they drop £70m on Guehi. I may be wrong, but it seems unlikely given what they have done in recent windows - we haven't done a Todd Boehly style supermarket sweep and I wouldn't expect them to. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think the club should sign a RW better than Murphy and MIggy, yes. This is not a controversial opinion, you know. it's the only position in the squad that hasn't been upgraded since the takeover. 

i could throw plenty of names at you but i have no clue whether they would join or not and neither do you 

You can be certain Eddie/the club know who they are and we’re only not moving on it because a) CB is a higher priority, and b) that player isn’t available.

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I mean, no one said it but it's hard to imagine they have much more to spend if they drop £70m on Guehi. I may be wrong, but it seems unlikely given what they have done in recent windows - we haven't done a Todd Boehly style supermarket sweep and I wouldn't expect them to. 

If Guehi signs for £70 mill and on a 5 year deal that’s only a £14 mill hit on this years accounts, there’s money there but the players that tick all our boxes mustn’t be.

Just now, Toonpack said:

You can be certain Eddie/the club know who they are and we’re only not moving on it because a) CB is a higher priority, and b) that player isn’t available.

that was exactly my point to craig - i'm not pretending to have a clue about who the realistic targets are, or who is available because who knows how much money they want or whether they would contemplate joining us?

eales and mitchell will ultimately be judged by what they've managed to do before the window closes. we obviously aren't as attractive since missing out on european football, but i still find it hard to believe we can't improve both problem positions. leaving it till the last three days of the window is testing the faith. they haven't done it like this to date - howe said as much in a recent press conference that this has been his most difficult window so far. 

I suspect the difficulty is down to who’s available, or lack thereof, rather than anything else, someone said pages ago we’re fishing in a small pond.

• Like 1

Howe saying it was a difficult window was in reference to selling Minteh and Anderson for non-football reasons. He wasn't talking about Guehi going to the last few days. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Howe saying it was a difficult window was in reference to selling Minteh and Anderson for non-football reasons. He wasn't talking about Guehi going to the last few days. 

“The June part of the window was incredibly difficult and now this part hasn’t been exactly easy either. It’s always going to be difficult because you’re competing for a very small pool of players and the competition is high from other clubs.” 

When asked directly about the chances of signing Guehi, Howe replied: “There’s no news. I’m a step removed, but I’m aware there’s still work going on behind the scenes.”

“It’s been the most difficult window I’ve experienced,” said Howe ahead of Sunday’s match against his former club Bournemouth. 

Mate, I watched the press conferences. He's talked about how difficult it was to sell Anderson and Minteh, and how Anderson was a player he liked and a great lad. That's the bit he focuses in on. 

You're wrong here, not me.

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Yeah he made particular reference to 'the first part of the window' which has to be interpreted as having to meet PSR requirements by the end of June. 

If this situation doesn't succinctly demonstrate how fucked modern day football is, I don't know what will. We've allegedly got the richest owners in world football, we've traded moderately in the transfer market over the past 30 months, we've invested in improving our aging and creaking infrastructure and we've severed existing/brokered new commercial deals to increase our operating revenue. Yet we STILL found ourselves in a position where we had to trade in players to settle the books. 

Where is the incentive for external investment in football? Trying to break into the 'top table' and creating ROI is tough to say the least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Mate, I watched the press conferences. He's talked about how difficult it was to sell Anderson and Minteh, and how Anderson was a player he liked and a great lad. That's the bit he focuses in on. 

You're wrong here, not me.

:lol: okay, i was just pasting the verbatim quotes back from the press conference so take it up with howe's words

i don't know why the window has been so "incredibly difficult", as howe puts it.

i suspect a lot of it might be to do with the change in the way the club is structured. this is all speculation on my part as i haven't got a clue what's going on behind the scenes, but howe came out and said he was concerned after amanda left, which is not like him at all. 

we've had to scramble to sell two young players because of psr, the first team hasn't really been improved and now we've had this protracted guehi transfer saga - the first of its kind since the takeover. 

whether this is all part of a masterplan and we're all happy with the outcome after the window closes remains to be seen - there is still time for them to pull off a blinder - but its the first period since the takeover that it hasn't felt like everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet. 

I think we're kidding ourselves if we're expecting transfer sagas to not be protracted. We don't have the geographic pull of London (or Manchester / Liverpool for that matter) and the footballing world thinks we've pockets deeper than Scrooge McDuck's swimming pool. Expect clubs to take the piss with 'Newcastle Tax' when we're involved. 

There's been a lot of noise behind the scenes since January. The situation with Ashworth and subsequent replacement is one we really could have done without and then to compound matters, Staveley & Ghodoussi left. Bound to be unsettling to some degree for Howe given the structure between him and PIF was completely replaced. 

• Like 1

Botman was protracted. The bloke where we signed Bruno from was an absolute bellend that strung us along for a bit. 

I don't think for a second this has been a masterplan. I think the window has been shite and we're once again constrained in what we can spend. 

But if we get our number one target signed, and if that's all we've got to spend, then that's a qualified success. Qualified because we've got other positions that need strengthening, but that will be one for a future window. We clearly have deprioritised a RW this window because we want Guehi and he's costing too much. 

If Guehi falls through and we don't have an alternative lined up we've had a straight up shocker. As of right now though, the jury is out. 

Eales and Mitchell will be fucking desperate for their first window to have a successful outcome. That's for certain. 

• Like 3

The idea that other clubs get their transfer done in days is nonsense. Just because it’s the first you’ve heard of it doesn’t mean it hasn’t been going on for weeks or months behind the scenes.

This one feels protracted cos Palace can’t hold their piss in.

I think we might still sign a right winger, but if we don’t it won’t be because we have been scrabbling around in the last few days.

We will have a list of numerous players we like for every position, and will move when we know that they are available. If none are available right now for a price we want/are able to play then we won’t buy for the sake of it. Which is the correct way to do it imo.

Buying for the sake of it means you end up like Chelsea or Man Utd, with a squad full of toss on high wages that you can’t shift.

Obligatory, fuck transfer windows, fuck Twitter and fuck sky. Dumbed down football discussion beyond recognition, lowest common denominator shite.

• Like 6

The "we should have walked away by now" narrative is idiotic BTW. If we only sign players where the selling club bends over for us, we're gonna be buying an awful lot of shite. 

It started on twitter and it's found its way on here. 

• Like 2

Just now, Gemmill said:

The "we should have walked away by now" narrative is idiotic BTW. If we only sign players where the selling club bends over for us, we're gonna be buying an awful lot of shite. 

People's memories are also still scarred by the Ashley era rhetoric of "we just couldn't get it over the line....". It was pure waving the carrot in front of the donkey stuff and it's imbedded in some people as the way we should conduct ourselves in the market. 

It's absolutely not because, as you point out, we'll end up with a bunch of average shite that won't move us forward. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

so never walk away? Even if the selling club is taking the piss? Palace are negotiating from a position of strength. They’re flush with cash from other sales and already lost their other centre half. They’re only selling if we pay silly money, by the looks of it. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

so never walk away? Even if the selling club is taking the piss? Palace are negotiating from a position of strength. They’re flush with cash from other sales and already lost their other centre half. They’re only selling if we pay silly money, by the looks of it. 

If we want the player and the price is still within valuation, don't walk away. People want us to hoy a blob strop and just fuck our number one target off cos Parrish is a bellend. Parrish has always been a bellend. 

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

go then....

at what point do you say enough's enough then?

Just now, Gemmill said:

If we want the player and the price is still within valuation, don't walk away. People want us to hoy a blob strop and just fuck our number one target off cos Parrish is a bellend. Parrish has always been a bellend. 

it feels like £60m plus add one or whatever the last bid was might be the top end of our valuation. It was the fourth bid, I think? Usually if the selling club is serious about selling you’ll reach an agreement by the third bid, right? Unless one side is trying to take  the piss out of the other  

2 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

go then....

at what point do you say enough's enough then?

If you make an offer which is absolutely your best offer and it’s knocked back, that’s when.

• Kid Dynamite changed the title to Who hopes Palace get relegated and Guehi leaves on a free?