Who hopes Palace get relegated and Guehi leaves on a free?

Marc Guehi  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

no idea, but they have had months to figure all of this out.

we have days left of the window now. they need to do something - in both positions - but it looks like the time invested in the guehi "saga" has been time wasted.

hopefully they don't end up panic-buying. it's not something we've seen since the takeover so far, which i why i think people are questioning the new recruitment system. it's in its infancy, so they're might be a period of adjustment while eales and mitchell find their feet, but we never saw anything like this play out when amanda was in charge. deals were concluded without the media getting wind of it and most signings were concluded so the players could be bedded in with a bit of pre-season behind them. 

Right, so they absolutely must buy a RW but you've no idea who? Compelling argument. 

We don't have European football this season so the appeal to come to Newcastle won't be as great as it was this time last year. Compound that with the fact we've clearly had to satisfy PSR by selling two players. 

I'd love us to buy a CB and a RW before the window shuts but none of us have visibility of the balance sheet so we have no idea if that's viable or not. If it's not, then the priority is absolutely a CB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

Look man, no-one is disputing an upgraded RW would be good, but from a priority perspective CB is streets ahead, not only for now but for the very near future (because our current 2 best ones are all but codgers)

disagree, like i said. i like schar and burn. i could grow to like kelly. 

murphy and miggy starting at RW makes me want to smoke crack 

• Haha 1

Just now, Toonpack said:

Look man, no-one is disputing an upgraded RW would be good, but from a priority perspective CB is streets ahead, not only for now but for the very near future (because our current 2 best ones are all but codgers)

Plus the risk associated to Botman’s injury. We have no idea on whether he comes back the same or not. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

disagree, like i said. i like schar and burn. i could grow to like kelly. 

It might cheer you up a bit tbf. Crack on I say.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The frustrating thing for me is how some other clubs seem to conclude big deals in a matter of days. Liverpool close to signing Chiesa and just signed Mamardashvili, despite only being linked with them a few days ago. City's Gundogan deal was done in about 48hours. Felix to Chelsea was done quickly too. 

Agree it's frustrating, but they all have the benefit of European football to offer whilst we don't. Our bargaining position is not as strong as last summer - people need to appreciate that.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The frustrating thing for me is how some other clubs seem to conclude big deals in a matter of days. Liverpool close to signing Chiesa and just signed Mamardashvili, despite only being linked with them a few days ago. City's Gundogan deal was done in about 48hours. Felix to Chelsea was done quickly too. 

We haven't really done any "deals" yet. 2 x free agents, a GK as part of a swap deal, an automatic purchase for Hall and a reserve striker from a relegated team.

Im all for not spunking money on the wrong players, but the likes of Isak, Bruno, Tonali, Gordon and Joelinton aren't here to challenge for 7th again with zero additions to the 1st XI

yup, we've had months to upgrade two positions which clearly need addressing. chelsea slightly fucked up our pursuit of a RW by gazumping us on tosen but it has felt a bit rudderless since then. we are getting into panic-buy territory now. i hope they still have long-term targets which they have managed to keep under wraps which they will announce before the window closes. 

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

Right, so they absolutely must buy a RW but you've no idea who? Compelling argument. 

We don't have European football this season so the appeal to come to Newcastle won't be as great as it was this time last year. Compound that with the fact we've clearly had to satisfy PSR by selling two players. 

I'd love us to buy a CB and a RW before the window shuts but none of us have visibility of the balance sheet so we have no idea if that's viable or not. If it's not, then the priority is absolutely a CB. 

the club aren't paying me to identify and sign the players :lol: 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

Agree it's frustrating, but they all have the benefit of European football to offer whilst we don't. Our bargaining position is not as strong as last summer - people need to appreciate that.

it didn't prevent the old recruitment team from getting business done with time to spare. they signed bruno and trippier in a january window when relegation was on the cards. 

the new set up might yet get it right, but they're cutting it fine. if the window closed tomorrow, it would be the worst since the takeover. that's why people are moaning on social media. 

If Guehi is the statement signing, then we need him on board.  From the POV of the top level players we have so far retained, it doesnt look like the club is moving forward, certainly not at the rate that the owners and senior figures have promised. When you look at all the other top sides making signings despite supposed PSR concerns there seems to be no lack of will to continue buying players. 

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

disagree, like i said. i like schar and burn. i could grow to like kelly

Based on zero evidence, aye OK 🙄

Your RW obsession would lead me to believe you already do smoke crack, a wee bit too much at that.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chaser said:

If Guehi is the statement signing, then we need him on board.  From the POV of the top level players we have so far retained, it doesnt look like the club is moving forward, certainly not at the rate that the owners and senior figures have promised. When you look at all the other top sides making signings despite supposed PSR concerns there seems to be no lack of will to continue buying players. 

When did they tell you this ?

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

the club aren't paying me to identify and sign the players :lol: 

The point I'm getting at is perhaps they haven't been able to identify a player in that position who improves the situation, is available, interested and fits into the financial illustration alongside other transfer priorities. 

So who do you believe fits into this bracket?

Edited by Craig

28 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it didn't prevent the old recruitment team from getting business done with time to spare. they signed bruno and trippier in a january window when relegation was on the cards. 

the new set up might yet get it right, but they're cutting it fine. if the window closed tomorrow, it would be the worst since the takeover. that's why people are moaning on social media. 

No, people are moaning on social media because they're clueless cunts who think buying a new player is no more complicated that walking into Tesco and buying a block of cheese :lol:

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Craig said:

The point I'm getting at is perhaps they haven't been able to identify a player in that position who improves the situation, is available, interested and fits into the financial illustration alongside other transfer priorities. 

So who do you believe fits into this bracket?

how the fuck should i know? :lol:

i don't speak to players' agents. it's their job to get the business done in good time - not mine 

Edited by Dr Gloom

36 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Your RW obsession would lead me to believe you already do smoke crack, a wee bit too much at that.

nope. never tried it, but my god i could be tempted if we have to endure another season of miggy and murphy 

37 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

zero evidence? did i miss something?

i always thought he looked like a canny player for bournemouth, though he didn't impress me on sunday. i think he's a more natural CB than LB

I find it quite funny that within the twattersphere you seem to have the same groups of people going ballistic that the club got into a PSR hole that saw them sell Minteh and Anderson. And yet think the club should’ve spent about £200m on three first teamers this window. Without joining the dots. Putting the idiots to one side though, PSR clearly has a big knock on impact on what the club can currently spend. Given that, you do have to question why so much time and effort seems to have been expended on a CB for £60+. It would be different if we were talking about a world class talent at their peak. He’s the next level down imo. Just seems odd the way the window has played out. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

how the fuck should i know? :lol:

i don't speak to players' agents. it's their job to get the business done in good time - not mine 

I rest my case :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Craig said:

I rest my case :lol:

a case so flimsy it would be dismissed before going trial. 

we are debating whether it's worth spunking our entire summer budget on guehi - you appear to assume a bullshit artist on a message board should have inside knowledge of which players are available and willing to join us. how the fuck would any of us know about any of that? 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I find it quite funny that within the twattersphere you seem to have the same groups of people going ballistic that the club got into a PSR hole that saw them sell Minteh and Anderson. And yet think the club should’ve spent about £200m on three first teamers this window. Without joining the dots. Putting the idiots to one side though, PSR clearly has a big knock on impact on what the club can currently spend. Given that, you do have to question why so much time and effort seems to have been expended on a CB for £60+. It would be different if we were talking about a world class talent at their peak. He’s the next level down imo. Just seems odd the way the window has played out. 

I think his value is driven by a) he's English and b) he raised his profile at the Euros. 

The situation IS compounded by the fact Palace know we need a CB. As for his value, he's worth as much as we're prepared to pay for him. Rather than measure him against all options out there we reluctantly have to look at whether he'd improve the situation we find ourselves in. Our CB offering is frankly dire and if we've any ambitions of getting back into the European qualification places, we have to address that, and quicky. 

On the basis of last season, going forward isn't the primary concern. We scored more goals (85) than we have in any Premier League season previously (Previous record was 82 in 1993/93). Defensively we let in as many (62) as we did when we were relegated in 2008/09 and on par with both the final full Bruce season, and the one where we eventually got rid of him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

a case so flimsy it would be dismissed before going trial. 

we are debating whether it's worth spunking our entire summer budget on guehi - you appear to assume a bullshit artist on a message board should have inside knowledge of which players are available and willing to join us. how the fuck would any of us know about any of that? 

"We need to sign a RW, we need to sign a RW."

"Who?"

"I don't know, I don't care, but it has to be a RW..."

Fuck me gently :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

100%. i hope the media have got it all wrong and we announce two signings that the football reporters had no clue about whatsoever. that would be more keeping with our style since the takeover so far - players in the £30-50m range, announced out of nowhere with none of this very public and protracted increased bidding that we've seen play out in the media with the guehi story. it all feels a bit odd and not in keeping with they way they've done their business so far. 

• Like 1

Just now, Craig said:

"We need to sign a RW, we need to sign a RW."

"Who?"

"I don't know, I don't care, but it has to be a RW..."

Fuck me gently :lol:

i think the club should sign a RW better than Murphy and MIggy, yes. This is not a controversial opinion, you know. it's the only position in the squad that hasn't been upgraded since the takeover. 

i could throw plenty of names at you but i have no clue whether they would join or not and neither do you 

• Kid Dynamite changed the title to Who hopes Palace get relegated and Guehi leaves on a free?