Who hopes Palace get relegated and Guehi leaves on a free?

Marc Guehi  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Spunking this amount of money on a CB seems a little out of proportion with our previous transfer dealings. It could be that the change of leadership structure has meant a change in direction. But I wonder if this is a bit of an educated gamble by the club in the sense that perhaps it's been concluded that we absolutely need to make significant strides this season in order to keep the likes of Isak, Bruno & Gordon long-term.

Either way, it's a good move in principle even if personally I'd prefer a slightly cheaper CB that doesn't come with the England international tax and for more money to be committed to RW. But I can also see the excitement and message behind going out and getting a current England CB who is likely to be at the core of the international team for the foreseeable future. 

Hopefully we can raise some good coin from a few sales and get Guehi & a top top RW.

• Like 4

This RW fixation does my head in, we had no problem at all creating chances and scoring gosls last season, we were regularly taken apart defensively.

Sure upgrading RW would be great, but it's not/isn't the biggest hole we had IMO.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, strawb said:

Harry Maguire was 80 about 4 years ago 

He's looking well for 84 mind.

• Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

This RW fixation does my head in, we had no problem at all creating chances and scoring gosls last season, we were regularly taken apart defensively.

Sure upgrading RW would be great, but it's not/isn't the biggest hole we had IMO.

I agree, the biggest problem was the defence which was pretty much all down to Pope's injury, and Dubravka's phobia of the 12 yard box. Now he's back that should sort some of the issues out. However, with Lascelles and Botman both paggered for the foreseeable and Schar and Burn not getting any younger it's imperative we get the defence sorted. Guehi fixes an immediate problem and a separate problem a year or two down the line when Schar retires. It's sensible and given the Euros he's just had shows we're here to compete.

Also, if we sell Miggy and Trips we might have the dosh to splash out on Guler like the rumours have suggested and then that would just be lovely. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

I agree, but it's also the only position we haven't improved on since the takeover. And Almiron is great at breaking down our attacks over and over again. If we had a Gordon level player on the RW the difference would be very noticeable 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I agree, but it's also the only position we haven't improved on since the takeover. And Almiron is great at breaking down our attacks over and over again. If we had a Gordon level player on the RW the difference would be very noticeable 

I certainly think we can upgrade but if I had to choose I'd look to upgrade the weakness (defence) before what is already pretty decent (attack).

59 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I certainly think we can upgrade but if I had to choose I'd look to upgrade the weakness (defence) before what is already pretty decent (attack).

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

6 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Defensive issues were perhaps more structural than down to individuals. That's the difference. Dazzler covered the goalkeeper part which was massive because Dubravka was absolute horsehit. But there was also the issue on the left with Burn being exposed time and again without the legs of Joe and Willock to protect him. And then Hall was not ready.

With Joe and Willock back (staying fit hoepfully) and the engine of Tonali to call on now we should be much better protected from midfield, plus Hall has been really good recently and should be our first choice LB now. 

I dont disagree we had defensive issues but we're well on our way to addressing them, plus surely there's no way the bad luck from last season repeats without the European fixtures. The RW issue is far more simple, upgrade the player.

• Like 2

• Kid Dynamite changed the title to Who hopes Palace get relegated and Guehi leaves on a free?