Pre Season Friendlies 2024

9 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

It was Hibs away back in the 80s.  George Best played for Hibs as a guest for a half, he was impressive even though he didn't move much from the center circle.

After the match trains to the right coaches to the left, most went by train so the two bus loads  from the supporters club had to go left, hell on as  a load of Hibs fans attacked  us  as we got spilt up from the train lot. I always remember one of those massive bottles of bells whisky came bouncing across the road towards us.  Scuffles all the way up this road that seemed to last forever 'till we got to our bus.

I was proper shitting myself until I got back on the bus, then I thought i was hard as nails!

Must have been early 80s before they became spoon burners.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

It was Hibs away back in the 80s.  George Best played for Hibs as a guest for a half, he was impressive even though he didn't move much from the center circle.

After the match trains to the right coaches to the left, most went by train so the two bus loads  from the supporters club had to go left, hell on as  a load of Hibs fans attacked  us  as we got spilt up from the train lot. I always remember one of those massive bottles of bells whisky came bouncing across the road towards us.  Scuffles all the way up this road that seemed to last forever 'till we got to our bus.

I was proper shitting myself until I got back on the bus, then I thought i was hard as nails!

Was probably a bit too young for that but was at Hearts in 87, Gazza scored the winner near the end and we bounced out on to Gorgie Road only to be met by a reception committee of the CCS Hibs casuals…most lads turned left to head towards Haymarket for the train and ran straight into them but we’d driven and avoided it as our car was parked in the other direction 😒

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Must have been early 80s before they became spoon burners.

You’ll observe from the first few Irvine Welsh novels that the football hooligans and the junkies were all from the same council estates with a fair bit of cross pollination….by the mid 80s Hibs were one of the “top firms” in Britain…

17 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You’ll observe from the first few Irvine Welsh novels that the football hooligans and the junkies were all from the same council estates with a fair bit of cross pollination….by the mid 80s Hibs were one of the “top firms” in Britain…

I was joking 

12 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Well that was random but nice anecdote anyway. Bet the Bells whiskey bottle was empty. 

Reminds me of my own random anecdote. Sometime in the 70s I was with my family visiting my jakey uncle Jimmy in Glasgie. Great uncle really. I remember he won this insanely large bottle of Grouse somehow, the ones you collect coins in when empty, honestly not sure how. Anyway, somehow he dropped it getting out of the car, it smashed, and at least 5 litres of amber blend went trickling down the drain. 

I remember being terrified he'd kick off as this must have been like losing a child to him, and to me he was terrifying at the best of times. But no, he just laughed and said "Ah well, nevir mind, what can ye dae?". Good old uncle Jimmy. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 9