Euro 24

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

He’s getting the worst out of Foden too. When he plays there for Man City they’ve got width supplied by the leftback. This naturally creates options for him to come inside. Trippier, apart from not playing much in recent months, is far less comfortable overlapping on that side. Seeing Foden hugging the touchline (exactly where you’d be happiest if you were our opponents), isolated and frustrated was fucking soul destroying. I bet there’s loads of the players having a go at the manager in their private conversations. 

Except Trippier who has left them all on unread in the group chat whilst he frantically tries to find a suitable divorce lawyer.

• Haha 4

Honestly wish I had not watched any of these England games, insipid stuff.  

Just fucking have a go you boring cunt.  It's worse that watching Davis v Hendry back in the 80s.  BORING CUNTS

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Honestly wish I had not watched any of these England games, insipid stuff.  

Just fucking have a go you boring cunt.  It's worse that watching Davis v Hendry back in the 80s.  BORING CUNTS

Yes Yes Yes Nod GIF by FX Networks

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Alex said:

He’s getting the worst out of Foden too. When he plays there for Man City they’ve got width supplied by the leftback. This naturally creates options for him to come inside. Trippier, apart from not playing much in recent months, is far less comfortable overlapping on that side. Seeing Foden hugging the touchline (exactly where you’d be happiest if you were our opponents), isolated and frustrated was fucking soul destroying. I bet there’s loads of the players having a go at the manager in their private conversations. 

reminds me of the days when we tried to shoehorn lampard, gerrard and scholes into midfield instead of playing players in their best positions 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Who do we play next?  I am so rancidly disgusted by it all I refuse to research. 

Either the Netherlands or whoever finishes 3rd in the Romania/Belgium/Slovakia/Ukraine group, depending on nerdy permutations (surely the best kind of permutation).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think after the relative success of WC 2018 the England squad/team largely picked itself. Southgate has never had to deal with “generational” talents emerging and upsetting his cosy wee set up. Now for the first time he’s got to properly think about team selection he’s fucked. Which was very likely always on the cards.

Tbf he had Foden and Bellingham at the WC in Qatar but neither of them at that point had come off the back of what might prove to be the best seasons in their club careers’ which makes them completely different propositions in terms of how they’re perceived by the general public and more significantly for Southgate personally the English football media. He knew he’d be fuckin crucified if he didn’t pick them both.

He probably knew without a proper left back the logical pick on the left was Gordon with his Kenyan marathon runners’ stamina combined with a sprinter’s electric pace he would’ve been able to patrol the entire left hand side single handed and interact with the attacking midfielders as he’d done very effectively in the recent firiendly games, rather than relying on an an overlapping full back to provide support more often than not. Looks the same the other side re Saka/Palmer.

Southgate has got it half right, he picked the PL’s form players in the squad. Then he went with loyalty to those in his pecking order and has shown signs this week that he’s willing to ditch them if it’s not going right. Has he got the balls to start Gordon, Palmer and Mainoo on Sunday?… for me he needs to drop one of the two that have caused all this bother for him this summer too..  two of the best half dozen attacking players in Europe… thing is, his coach at Euro 96 Terry Venables has shown him the way him. No fuckin way would virtually any other manager have stick with Shearer before the tournament started. The strikers ignored by Venables in favour of Shearer and the 30 year old Sheringham is fuckin jaw dropping. Venables told him not to listen to the press and he was his no.9.  He told STEVE FUCKIN HOWEY in the winter of 1996 that he was in the squad, not only that but he was starting 2 out of the 3 group games (Howey said all this in a podcast) That’s the sort of single mindedness required but I don’t think nice guy Gareth has ever been remotely equipped to think along those lines. He wants to make everyone happy including the media. Venables knew he knew more about football than the craven tabloid wankers that followed the England team around in the mid 90s . More importantly he made damn sure that they all knew he knew more than them too. That’s a rare gift. We’ll see if Gareth has learned anything on Sunday…

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, trophyshy said:

Who do we play next?  I am so rancidly disgusted by it all I refuse to research. 

One of the as yet to be decided 3rd placed teams. But it’s Sunday at 5pm

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think after the relative success of WC 2018 the England squad/team largely picked itself. Southgate has never had to deal with “generational” talents emerging and upsetting his cosy wee set up. Now for the first time he’s got to properly think about team selection he’s fucked. Which was very likely always on the cards.

Tbf he had Foden and Bellingham at the WC in Qatar but neither of them at that point had come off the back of what might prove to be the best seasons in their club careers’ which makes them completely different propositions in terms of how they’re perceived by the general public and more significantly for Southgate personally the English football media. He knew he’d be fuckin crucified if he didn’t pick them both.

He probably knew without a proper left back the logical pick on the left was Gordon with his Kenyan marathon runners’ stamina combined with a sprinter’s electric pace he would’ve been able to patrol the entire left hand side single handed and interact with the attacking midfielders as he’d done very effectively in the recent firiendly games, rather than relying on an an overlapping full back to provide support more often than not. Looks the same the other side re Saka/Palmer.

Southgate has got it half right, he picked the PL’s form players in the squad. Then he went with loyalty to those in his pecking order and has shown signs this week that he’s willing to ditch them if it’s not going right. Has he got the balls to start Gordon, Palmer and Mainoo on Sunday?… for me he needs to drop one of the two that have caused all this bother for him this summer too..  two of the best half dozen attacking players in Europe… thing is, his coach at Euro 96 Terry Venables has shown him the way him. No fuckin way would virtually any other manager have stick with Shearer before the tournament started. The strikers ignored by Venables in favour of Shearer and the 30 year old Sheringham is fuckin jaw dropping. Venables told him not to listen to the press and he was his no.9.  He told STEVE FUCKIN HOWEY in the winter of 1996 that he was in the squad, not only that but he was starting 2 out of the 3 group games (Howey said all this in a podcast) That’s the sort of single mindedness required but I don’t think nice guy Gareth has ever been remotely equipped to think along those lines. He wants to make everyone happy including the media. Venables knew he knew more about football than the craven tabloid wankers that followed the England team around in the mid 90s . More importantly he made damn sure that they all knew he knew more than them too. That’s a rare gift. We’ll see if Gareth has learned anything on Sunday…

Spot on, mate. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dazzler said:

Am I missing something about Shearer in Euro 96, he was coming off the back of a season where he scored nearly 40 goals. Was he injured heading into it?

He hadn’t scored in something like 10 England matches and there were several other candidates. Cole, Ferdinand and Wright in particular 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

He hadn’t scored in something like 10 England matches and there were several other candidates. Cole, Ferdinand and Wright in particular 

I hope the three you picked were one of many, otherwise it makes Venables look a bit racist tbh :lol:

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Robbie Fowler too I think which may have kept the KICK IT OUT attack dogs off his back :D 

Aye. The four strikers in the squad were Fowler, Ferdinand, Shearer and Sherringham. Cole and Wright along with Beardsley missed out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

He will probably go with palmer and Mainoo as they got the most positive comments from his media mates last night, despite the fact that nothing really changed in the 2nd half when they came on. 

The real issue is his incessant, inherent cautiousness which isn’t going away in the next 5 days. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye. The four strikers in the squad were Fowler, Ferdinand, Shearer and Sherringham. Cole and Wright along with Beardsley missed out. 

Yeah. I think they took Nicky Barmby in front of Beardsley. High point of that cunts career by several light years tbh :cuppa: 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah. I think they took Nicky Barmby in front of Beardsley. High point of that cunts career by several light years tbh :cuppa: 

They did, that’s right. Venables always rated him iirc. A very ordinary number 10 compared to Pedro. And wouldn’t have been close to being in the top 5 in Italy in that position at that time. 

• Like 2

I’m just away to Amsterdam for a work do.  Will still be there on Sunday so now really hoping we play the tulip-shaggers.  I’ll get utterly fucking cunted to ensure entertainment.  

• Haha 5