Euro 24

Hey lads, do you think Southgate will play two defensive pivots next match? Surely not! :lol: 

Southgate is single-handedly ruining England's long track record of innovation in football tactics. Let's run through the list of tactical innovations in painstaking detail from the beginning. shall we?

1. England invents the game.

2. Southgate plays Bellingham at 6 (pending).

I probably say this every 2 years, but just imagine this group of players under a coach with actual guts. At the very least they'd play exciting football, go down guns blazing in a semi final. Likely win something sooner or later. 

What you instead have is the most dour, tedious, boring man in football manage of the most talented squads around tournament after major tournament; getting to latter stages a couple of times due to a mix of favorable draws and individual player ability slotted on top of an ultra pragmatic strategic setup; making the football fan want to rip their insides out at the absolute torture of having to sit through England performances. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they manage to scratch and claw their way to the semis or the final again, take it to penalties. Football can work that way as we all know. But much like the last championships I hope they don't win, just because somebody who sucks the life and joy out of football shouldn't be allowed to succeed at life. The world is messed up enough as it is. 

For England's sake I hope we are not repeating this conversation AGAIN after 2 years.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toonotl said:

Hey lads, do you think Southgate will play two defensive pivots next match? Surely not! :lol: 

Southgate is single-handedly ruining England's long track record of innovation in football tactics. Let's run through the list of tactical innovations in painstaking detail from the beginning. shall we?

1. England invents the game.

2. Southgate plays Bellingham at 6 (pending).

:lol:

This fucking cheeky socceroo! 

• Haha 3

Their 2.26 expected goals from the three games ranked 19th among the 24 teams at the competition and they have only mustered the 17th most shots.

Only Southgate could take a squad with attacking talent that is the envy of world football and come up with those stats.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

This is football podcast. Liniker needs to back off the wine 😂 thinks kane had more energy. Fuck me. My dead old man made more runs. 

It took them almost half way for a pissed up Lineker to say Bellingham hasn't played well.  Like I said (Casey Stylee) He's had one decent half of football.

Now, this isn't on Jude, it's on Southgate.  

But when you have people like Matterface wanking all over him and he's done fuck all it's embarrassing. 

Bellingham has done ok. It’s not really the system imo. It’s the way it’s being implemented. But what I find weird is, at club level you usually have a system at one time that a manager believes in. Then you recruit and use players that fit into it. Whereas at international level, you obviously can’t go out and sign players. So you tailor your tactics and formation to suit your best players. Southgate is obsessed with the system even though it’s to the detriment of some of the best attacking players in the world. Which I think Foden, Bellingham and Saka are when you consider the sort of fees they’d command if anyone could even afford them. Even then I think it’s fairly obvious that you could shuffle those players in this system / add the likes of Gordon and/or Palmer and make it work better. He’s such a limited coach it’s untrue. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Only Southgate could take a squad with attacking talent that is the envy of world football and come up with those stats.

The bloke’s still on about Kalvin Phillips, man. A lad who did a decent job for England. But who’s also, even at his best, a limited, defensive-minded, safety first robot. Who also arguably held the team back as an attacking unit even when he was a mainstay. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

He'd never say it and might not want the job yet but deep down you'd imagine Howe thinking how he'd go about managing and coaching those England players. 

Klopp and Postecoglu would give winning a tournament a good crack as well. Realistically, I'd hold off for the latter to get sacked by Levy and appoint him in November.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ohhh_yeah said:

:lol:

He’s also scored one goal in a team that’s created next to fuck all over three games and has only managed two goals. He’s a central midfielder being shoehorned into a no. 10 as well imo. He’s only 20 ffs. I wasn’t making a case for him being brilliant. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

He’s also scored one goal in a team that’s created next to fuck all over three games and has only managed two goals. He’s a central midfielder being shoehorned into a no. 10 as well imo. He’s only 20 ffs. I wasn’t making a case for him being brilliant. 

You inboxed me last night saying he’s been player of the tournament 

• Haha 5

Just now, wykikitoon said:

Aye hence why I said it's not his fault but Southgates.

He’s getting the worst out of Foden too. When he plays there for Man City they’ve got width supplied by the leftback. This naturally creates options for him to come inside. Trippier, apart from not playing much in recent months, is far less comfortable overlapping on that side. Seeing Foden hugging the touchline (exactly where you’d be happiest if you were our opponents), isolated and frustrated was fucking soul destroying. I bet there’s loads of the players having a go at the manager in their private conversations. 

• Like 2