Euro 24

The early subbing of TAA must be the end of that nonsense now. It hasn't worked at all.

Otherwise I agree with what everyone is saying and to be honest, it feels like these sentiments are being said everywhere. The thing that gets me then is why Southgate is so immune to it.

He should have put Gordon on over Eze who offered very little IMO. Watkins was a big improvement on Kane but even with him on and the side better balanced, I still didn't think things clicked.

I hope he changes it up for Slovenia.

The sole left back in the squad, Luke Shaw, is still not training with his teammates. 

He might be just about recovered by the time England get dumped out. 

• Haha 1
  • Jaysus... 1

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The sole left back in the squad, Luke Shaw, is still not training with his teammates. 

He might be just about recovered by the time England get dumped out. 

This is the other thing, why has he only brought a single left back to start with? Even if the other options are not quite up to the same "high" standards are the rest of the team, surely someone who is used to playing the position is better than forcing it on Tripps who is defending well enough but otherwise is quite invisible. Did he ever explain that?

13 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

Just another couple of games 🙂 

I really don't think he's going anywhere tbh. Especially now Ten Slag is staying on at Man Utd.

Just now, Rayvin said:

This is the other thing, why has he only brought a single left back to start with? Even if the other options are not quite up to the same "high" standards are the rest of the team, surely someone who is used to playing the position is better than forcing it on Tripps who is defending well enough but otherwise is quite invisible. Did he ever explain that?

It's ridiculous. Shaw has been out for 4 months. He was still injured when Southgate selected him as the only LB in the squad. 

If your first choice LB is injured, you find the next best English LB and you pick them. That's Chilwell, also injured, so on to the next. It's not ideal, but picking a lad who will be rehabbing for at least the first 3 games of a 7 game tournament is insane. 

I know Chilwell was second choice and was injured too, but you go to your third choice, you don't take a fucked first choice. 

You do mad shit like this with a Messi or a Ronaldo, where the psychological impact of not taking them is worse than them being there injured. You don't do it with a Luke Shaw. 

• Like 5

I'm not saying Southgate is the problem but his £500m or so midfield were dominated by someone who died three years ago but even more damning struggles to start games for Man United. 

• Haha 11

It's so ridiculous that he's still in charge, at this point he's morphing into a Steve Bruce who knows when to keep his mouth shut (both in the media and in the fridge/kebab shop etc).

9 minutes ago, OTF said:

It's so ridiculous that he's still in charge, at this point he's morphing into a Steve Bruce who knows when to keep his mouth shut (both in the media and in the fridge/kebab shop etc).

Did mention to a mate that that performance felt very Brucey.

Southgate played most of the usuals in the Iceland game, except Foden at 10, HC on the left, and Palmer on the right. England looked terrible and lost 1-0. I guess he saw everything he wanted to see from that game.

d5NI38Z.gif

• Thanks 1

It was a long time ago and many substances have passed since, but as I remember it, pressure from the red top media got Gazza in the team in Italia '90. Rice with Bellingham, Foden just ahead and Gordon on the left may seem like the obvious thing to do, but this lot boast of not listening to 'outside noise' so I fully expect this bullshit to carry on like the band on the Titanic.

17 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Southgate played most of the usuals in the Iceland game, except Foden at 10, HC on the left, and Palmer on the right. England looked terrible and lost 1-0. I guess he saw everything he wanted to see from that game.

d5NI38Z.gif

Because we've been absolutely fucking brilliant in the opening two games of the Euros. You seriously need to up your game with with the WUMery, you're getting lazy tbh and it's sad to see.

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Because we've been absolutely fucking brilliant in the opening two games of the Euros. You seriously need to up your game with with the WUMery, you're getting lazy tbh and it's sad to see.

There's no wum action happening here, stop being sensitive. Just trying to help you see some of Southgates decisions. Relax and breathe 

3 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

There's no wum action happening here, stop being sensitive. Just trying to help you see some of Southgates decisions. Relax and breathe 

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

giphy.gif.bee8dd6b4434358729a74313faeae95c.gif

• Haha 1

Already quite a few Scots down here in Stuttgart, might join the on Sunday for a couple of pints discussing how to keep Southgate in charge of England,

• Haha 5

Members of this forum: "We need to play Foden as a 10 and start Gordon and Palmer, Goddamnit!" 

Me: "Southgate tried that before the tournament against a team that didn't even qualify, and it worked out poorly. It might be influencing Gareth's decision to not try that again.'"

Members of the forum: Booing Rick And Morty GIF by Mashed "WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!" "HOW DARE YOU provide A LOGICAL ARGUMENT that could possibly explain the manager's decision!!! WUUUUM!!!" 

Wild times we live in

5 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

You know what's needed? 

Games that don't have anything riding on them where you can test different players and formations. Games where you can rest large parts of your main team and try and blood in new players. 

You know, in a friendly atmosphere sort of a way? Maybe against lesser ranked teams like so that the pressure isn't high. 

Maybe someone should put that to Safegate. 

Thing is, qualification is relatively easy these days so you can do that a bit in those matches too. Instead of just playing Kane, for example, to bolster his goal record. And I’m not singling out Kane. I’ve only seen the highlight plus thought the criticism in the previous match was a bit OTT. But you get the point 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Members of this forum: "We need to play Foden as a 10 and start Gordon and Palmer, Goddamnit!" 

Me: "Southgate tried that before the tournament against a team that didn't even qualify, and it worked out poorly. It might be influencing Gareth's decision to not try that again.'"

Members of the forum: Booing Rick And Morty GIF by Mashed "WUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!" "HOW DARE YOU provide A LOGICAL ARGUMENT that could possibly explain the manager's decision!!! WUUUUM!!!" 

Wild times we live in

Probably worth giving it more opportunities rather than just one game though. Otherwise it feels like he’s trying something he hopes will fail, just to shut people up. He comes across more and more as an overly loyal, one dimensional and limited manager. If you’ve got a talented set of players whose particular strength is going forward, then I don’t think criticism of the manager is out of order. Especially when it’s not working and he seems bereft of a decent plan b. His only tactic seems to be get your noses in front and hold on. Which is fine but only if it works. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

Probably worth giving it more opportunities rather than just one game though. Otherwise it feels like he’s trying something he hopes will fail, just to shut people up. He comes across more and more as an overly loyal, one dimensional and limited manager. If you’ve got a talented set of players whose particular strength is going forward, then I don’t think criticism of the manager is out of order. Especially when it’s not working and he seems bereft of a decent plan b. His only tactic seems to be get your noses in front and hold on. Which is fine but only if it works. 

This is exactly what I think Southgate does.

• Like 3

I have a sneaky feeling he’ll start Gordon next game and play Bellingham as an 8. I hope he does anyway…

I hope he doesn’t end up just putting Gallagher in.

id also swap out Trips for Gomez. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

I hope he doesn’t end up just putting Gallagher in.

For Arnold - this is the only change he'll make and it'll be the same turgid performance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MMXXVIII said:

It was a long time ago and many substances have passed since, but as I remember it, pressure from the red top media got Gazza in the team in Italia '90. Rice with Bellingham, Foden just ahead and Gordon on the left may seem like the obvious thing to do, but this lot boast of not listening to 'outside noise' so I fully expect this bullshit to carry on like the band on the Titanic.

Robson persisted with Hately for too long when playing Beardsley was the correct option. Took him one game in to realise his error. 

• Like 1