Euro 24

4 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Two touches.

I don't think he looks fit.  He played well second half in terms of relieving pressure and winning free kicks. But as an attacking threat he didn't offer anything.

dare i say it, but he reminds a lot of shearer toward the end of his england career after his legs went. 

he doesn't have much pace, he doesn't press anymore, he doesn't make runs in behind so when he isn't scoring he can look like a passenger. and, like with shearer, his goal record combined with the fact he's england captain leave his manager unwilling to sub him when he's having a bad game - even though we have strikers on the bench with pace who could come on and stretch the game. 

if that header went in maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation 

• Like 2

Yeh very much.

Hopefully in the next game he gets more service too.  The physicality of the Serbs didn't help and I thought he did well against them but the lack of runs didn't help.

We all see things differently. That's fair. But to say not agreeing with those heatmaps means you don't understand football is just not correct. There is more to football than heatmaps.

1 hour ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Fodens heatmap for 2024

fIEkAhp.png

Heatmap for 2023

yQreBmf.png

Southgate spelling it out for you:

Guardiola and Southgate BOTH telling you he is a wideman but you're still trying to argue.

Honestly, its time to admit, talking football just isn't for you.

Go sit in the corner of your bedroom with a glass of water ready for Callum when he needs to rehydrate in between rounds.

4 hours ago, LondonBlue said:

most effective? coming inside.

as for theoretical positions, he does play out wide sometimes but not as much as he used to.

you'll normally see chalk on doku, guardiol or grealish's boots on the the left wing with bernado, foden or walker out on the right.

but we change it around so much

so pretty much what i said earlier. 

he starts out wide but not as much as he used to. a comparison of the heatmaps shows that.

he drifts inside. his 2024 heatmap shows that,

his average ratings are higher when he plays inside.

image.png.d4c2a58aeb653a9882485f1c3837b465.png

And to quote Guardiola this month... 

Having yet to deploy Foden there in his career, Guardiola claimed the midfielder has the potential to flourish in a deeper role.

That is despite the 24-year-old scoring 27 goals last season and largely being seen as an attacker, either through the middle or on the wings.

"When Phil plays as a right-winger, he can do it," said Guardiola.

"In the beginning when he played as a left-winger, he played well. In the middle he can play right, left, in the pockets - no problem.

"What I would like in the end is that he plays as a holding midfielder, or one of two holding midfielders. For that, he needs to understand the game as a whole, in everything, not just 'me'.

"But at the same time, he has this instinct, natural, like the big talents, in the final third. I’m not going to stop him. I’m not going to step in and say, 'Don’t do that!' Because he’s unique."

Discussing the prospect of Foden moving further back in midfield, Guardiola added: "Sometimes it is the step one has to gain as a football player, playing in that position which carries some duties for the team."

Right i best get back to earning a living developing software.

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

dare i say it, but he reminds a lot of shearer toward the end of his england career after his legs went. 

he doesn't have much pace, he doesn't press anymore, he doesn't make runs in behind so when he isn't scoring he can look like a passenger. and, like with shearer, his goal record combined with the fact he's england captain leave his manager unwilling to sub him when he's having a bad game - even though we have strikers on the bench with pace who could come on and stretch the game. 

if that header went in maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation 

Na, I think we would because despite that he was well below his standard last night.

I always think he looks shite in an England shirt when he isn't scoring because England don't play to his strengths IMO.

Tbf Baddiel has a point here. Which leaves only one conclusion; it’s the fuckin coach who can’t find a way to do it :D :thumbup:

If he can’t do it, Foden should be dropped and Gordon or Eze should start… 

Edited by PaddockLad

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Tbf Baddiel has a point here. Which leaves only one conclusion; it’s the fuckin coach who can’t find a way to do it :D :thumbup:

If you he can’t do it, Foden should be dropped and Gordon or Eze should start… 

it wouldn't matter as the bellend wouldn't pass to them anyway. he just runs with ti until he loses the ball or scores.

play the bellend in place of kane then the team can function behind him

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i thought that was class. 

Yep. The other fella had been trying to physically intimidate him / rough him up and he wasn’t having any of it. Nowt wrong with that.

Edited by Alex

11 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

it wouldn't matter as the bellend wouldn't pass to them anyway. he just runs with ti until he loses the ball or scores.

play the bellend in place of kane then the team can function behind him

Someone is salty Bellingham chose Real Madrid :lol:

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Taking Luke Shaw when he's been out for 4 months looks like a mental decision tbh. 

Or is it genius? That selection misstep may have made him less attractive to the Manchester United board?

Modern problems need modern solutions.

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Taking Luke Shaw when he's been out for 4 months looks like a mental decision tbh. 

i agree. the problem is he's the only natural left back in the squad.  part of the problem for foden last night was didn't have an overlapping full back to link up with. trippier is not the answer at left back. lewis hall is a better bet in that position as is tino, neither of whom southgate fancied, and chillwell, the other obvious player in that position is also injured. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Someone is salty Bellingham chose Real Madrid :lol:

quite possibly, but i don't think so. but it's hard to separate i guess.

it was his antics in the games between city and dortmund then real madrid then made me not like him.

took me a few years to warm to kyle walker as i couldn't stand him at spurs.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Or is it genius? That selection misstep may have made him less attractive to the Manchester United board?

Modern problems need modern solutions.

It's not genius for the rest of us. Now we have to suffer through them fluking the Europa League next season (because you know they fucking will) whereas Southgate would have had them relegated by March.

2 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

quite possibly, but i don't think so. but it's hard to separate i guess.

it was his antics in the games between city and dortmund then real madrid then made me not like him.

took me a few years to warm to kyle walker as i couldn't stand him at spurs.

What did Bellingham do?

5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

What did Bellingham do?

Assassinated Spencer Perceval 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

the usual stuff that $#nts do, diving complaining, just being a general cheating, um, so and so.

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I knew SP is the only UK PM to be assassinated but I had to google the assailant. You’ve just gone up (yet again) in my estimation Dave :good: 

Did you know Germany are playing three no. 10s with effortless ease this month? :D 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i agree. the problem is he's the only natural left back in the squad.  part of the problem for foden last night was didn't have an overlapping full back to link up with. trippier is not the answer at left back. lewis hall is a better bet in that position as is tino, neither of whom southgate fancied, and chillwell, the other obvious player in that position is also injured. 

He shouldn't be there imo. If he's not fit, you work your way down the list of English left backs and take the best one that's actually fit. Even if Shaw miraculously recovers to play the last group game, he'll either break down again or spend the rest of the tournament off the pace. 

I could understand taking Beckham years ago when he'd broke his foot, cos he was the captain and the talisman, but Luke Shaw's just a good left back. Find another one that will actually play games. 

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I knew SP is the only UK PM to be assassinated but I had to google the assailant. You’ve just gone up (yet again) in my estimation Dave :good: 

Did you know Germany are playing three no. 10s with effortless ease this month? :D 

When you start in the gutter, there's only one way to go.

No I didn't... does this mean I go down again?

• Haha 3

I see The Rest Is Football podcast has the show titled 'Underwhelming England and how to get the best from Phil Foden'

Shearer can't have picked that title as he was banging on how great we were most of the match.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I see The Rest Is Football podcast has the show titled 'Underwhelming England and how to get the best from Phil Foden'

Shearer can't have picked that title as he was banging on how great we were most of the match.

Shearer's not on the episode YOU BIG JUDGY FANNY! 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

He shouldn't be there imo. If he's not fit, you work your way down the list of English left backs and take the best one that's actually fit. Even if Shaw miraculously recovers to play the last group game, he'll either break down again or spend the rest of the tournament off the pace. 

I could understand taking Beckham years ago when he'd broke his foot, cos he was the captain and the talisman, but Luke Shaw's just a good left back. Find another one that will actually play games. 

Could have been remedied by taking Burn over Dunk - but Southgate is gonna Southgate - Now we have an unfit right back shoehorned into the position until the natural, yet unfit left back is ready. Could have even taken Joe Gomez, who can cover the whole back line. Surely Lewis Hall is looking at this England set up and thinking it's his by the end of next season if he puts the graft in.

• Like 2

Just now, Gemmill said:

Shearer's not on the episode YOU BIG JUDGY FANNY! 

:lol: I've not listened to it yet so but disappointed to hear that.  I wanted to hear him tell us how amazing 'Trent' was.  How intelligent he was at sticking a leg out to stop a ball.

• Haha 2