Euro 24

16 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

oldham.jpg.fe8158fb3b6bf1a05fa2c19548a5ea95.jpg

12.6 miles. In the States they call that "next door." 

Spent all last weekend at my cousin’s, basically where the M60

is indicated on the map. They're all no more than a 10 minute drive from each other but were formerly independent towns before “conurbanisation” … 

Lewis Hall might be looking at a full England call up next year if he continues his form for us. If Luke Shaw is it, followed by a right back, there's a clear opportunity for him. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 3

Listened to TalkSport on my commute in.

It was pretty sensible as the alcho Brazil wasn't on.  They said it how it was pretty much.  Decent first half, but second half boring and Southgate isn't proactive enough.

The shit Foden is getting IMO is a little harsh on him.  He had a poor game by his standards, but I also this a lot of that is down to what is a) asked of him by his managed and b) how our midfield is set up.  One caller said he isn't brave.  That's horse shit.  He spent most of last season getting the fuck kicked out of him.  He is targeted a lot because of his size and he isn't phased by it.  When you have Sir Trent and Batty Rice in midfield what are we expecting?  We spent a lot of the first 15 minutes passing from side to side.  Fine lets find our feet, but we have players like Foden who can push forward.  Foden likes the ball played into him when he has players tight on him, but we didn't pass it then.

Kane btw in the first half touched the ball twice!  Second half he did his job well, but I also think him dropping deeper invited their back line higher up the pitch too.

We got the win that's the most important thing.  But against a better side we will struggle IMO.

England got the win.  It wasn’t a particularly inspiring performance and the team will change as we go. As I’ve said before the team that flies out the traps never really wins it.

Im sure if they win every game win 1-0 then the nation will be delighted (bar Wykiki wanting us to play like Brazil 1970).

Its not about wanting to play like Brazil.  Its about taking your opportunity.  We clearly had and have the better players and they're hamstrung by Southgates reluctance to use them as they are for club.

Media all banging on how between Foden, Bellingham, Kane etc we have over 100 goals this season.  That means fuck all with Southgate as he's the sort of cunt who goes on Millionaire and cashes out at £100.

I’m just going to throw this one out there. It might be a bit left field but stay with me…..maybe the players aren’t as good as the media thinks.

We’ve heard it so many times over the years. 

Eni Aluko is being fuckin battered on Elon’s abuse app due to being simultaneously black, a woman and having an opinion. She said Rice should hold the midfield on his own and she wanted to see both Bellingham and Foden at 10. It’s this last bit she’s being picked up on by every arsehole with a broadband connection. It was fairly clumsily put, but it’s basically putting players in the space between the defensive line and the holding midfielders…. Germany annhilated Scotland with 3x 10s because they’ve got probably one of the top 3 tactical coaches at the tournament but England have that nice chap Gareth, reasonable female pundits at least putting some thought into it and thousands of armchair football Neanderthals who are just cunts :cuppa: 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I’m just going to throw this one out there. It might be a bit left field but stay with me…..maybe the players aren’t as good as the media thinks.

Walker, Stones and Foden who last season (22/23) x4 major trophies and then this season won the league. Foden being one of the best players in the world this season.  But that's all down to all the foreign players?  Then you have Bellingham & Kane. One willing the CL and having the season of a dream in his first season at Real.  Kane scoring goals for fun?

There are certainly limiters within the squad.  But the biggest is Southgate himself.  IN that second half around say 55/60 minutes he should have been brave.  Foden, Kane, TAA off.  Gordon,  Toney, Gallagher on.  Go for them, stretch them as they were pressing onto us.  But no.  He is far too cautious and IMO that's reflected onto the players.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

we've got some of the best attacking players in the world:  the player of the season in la liga (and potential ballon dor winner), player of the season in the PL, the top scorer in Germany etc etc 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Walker, Stones and Foden who last season (22/23) x4 major trophies and then this season won the league. Foden being one of the best players in the world this season.  But that's all down to all the foreign players?  Then you have Bellingham & Kane. One willing the CL and having the season of a dream in his first season at Real.  Kane scoring goals for fun?

There are certainly limiters within the squad.  But the biggest is Southgate himself.  IN that second half around say 55/60 minutes he should have been brave.  Foden, Kane, TAA off.  Gordon,  Toney, Gallagher on.  Go for them, stretch them as they were pressing onto us.  But no.  He is far too cautious and IMO that's reflected onto the players.

We are missing a good number 8. Someone with a great engine who can get box to box. Step forward...

200.gif?cid=7ad0e14cl8k2yp8okiqfbps2zczk

• Haha 3

Just now, wykikitoon said:

yeah, i agree. i love southgate. he's done an amazing job, when you look at where england were when he took over. he made the national team competitive and likeable again.

but i don't think he has what it takes to win this tournament. qatar and the last euros were our big chance.

the negative coaches rarely win these days. and our defence isn't good enough to sit back after taking the lead. the best way to protect the lead last night would have been to do exactly as you suggest: put on attacking players and regain control by playing in their half instead of dropping off. 

• Like 2

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

We are missing a good number 8. Someone with a great engine who can get box to box. Step forward...

200.gif?cid=7ad0e14cl8k2yp8okiqfbps2zczk

bellingham is one of the best in the world at that. next game he should play rice sitting, with bellingham and foden in front of them, and gordon out wide. 

he also needs to learn quickly that it's okay to sub kane when he's having a stinker 

7 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

oldham.jpg.fe8158fb3b6bf1a05fa2c19548a5ea95.jpg

12.6 miles. In the States they call that "next door." 

See that road labelled A6? I live between Manchester and stockport just off that road, so I am aware.

Thats about an hours drive most of the time 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we've got some of the best attacking players in the world:  the player of the season in la liga (and potential ballon dor winner), player of the season in the PL, the top scorer in Germany etc etc 

In this case we've also got a right back playing left back and a CB that has never even played in a European competition.  It's a good team but defensively I'd worry when up against better teams. Perhaps thats why Gareth is more cautious..

Having said all that, I genuinely don't care how we get on. I just hope the NUFC players do well.

1 minute ago, strawb said:

See that road labelled A6? I live between Manchester and stockport just off that road, so I am aware.

Do you know John from Birmingham? 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

bellingham is one of the best in the world at that. next game he should play rice sitting, with bellingham and foden in front of them, and gordon out wide. 

he also needs to learn quickly that it's okay to sub kane when he's having a stinker 

Bellingham is a class act to be fair. He makes the game look like a walk in the park.

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

Bellingham is a class act to be fair. He makes the game look like a walk in the park.

i love his swagger. the shithouse way he tried to hype up the crowd then deliberately walk into that serbian player who had been kicking lumps out of him was super - as was the arrogant look of disdain he gave another player who tried to hack him down. he's a winner. i hope his mentality can balance out the kane curse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

In this case we've also got a right back playing left back and a CB that has never even played in a European competition.  It's a good team but defensively I'd worry when up against better teams. Perhaps thats why Gareth is more cautious..

Having said all that, I genuinely don't care how we get on. I just hope the NUFC players do well.

If you look at the rankings, we’re the third best team in the tournament. Just behind Belgium. I don’t think the fifa rankings ever tell the full story. But France as the best team, with us in a group of about 4 or 5 others who have a decent chance seems about right to me. I have always thought that Southgate, despite being articulate and intelligent, is a ex-centre half at heart and over cautious. I think the subs last night suggested that. But I also accept getting the balance right is not as easy as some people make out. His tournament record is excellent. I do think we have sone players who are genuinely world class. But at the same time, could you really say there’s been a finals tournament where we’ve been the best team with the best squad? Probably not. So those arguing he should have won something with this set of players are probably oversimplifying it. Like you I have the benefit of not being too arsed though 

5 minutes ago, strawb said:

You’ve wooshed me there I’m afraid 

Just a bit of a typical American question when you meet them on your hols or whatever and they learn you’re from England. 

12 minutes ago, strawb said:

Getting through the Stockport bit took us about  20 mins at rush hour on the Thursday before last… it’s a pain in the arse but fairly standard for a very badly thought out motorway system. Think they built it all at different times without the overall vision for a purpose built orbital like the M25 hence the shitty merging carriageways causing queues whenever there’s more than half a dozen cars on each one 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

@LondonBluewhere has Foden been most effective this season? 

most effective? coming inside.

as for theoretical positions, he does play out wide sometimes but not as much as he used to.

you'll normally see chalk on doku, guardiol or grealish's boots on the the left wing with bernado, foden or walker out on the right.

but we change it around so much

i'm not sure that bellingham passed to him last night. made me wonder if there is animosity between the two from the CL. but then i realised bellingham doesn't like to pass to anyone.

stupid observation. bellingham is obviously way better than kalvin phillips but england seemed to have a better balance when he linked with rice. bellingham has changed the dynamic from a team performance to the bellend show.

just to be clear, KP is rubbish now.

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i love his swagger. the shithouse way he tried to hype up the crowd then deliberately walk into that serbian player who had been kicking lumps out of him was super - as was the arrogant look of disdain he gave another player who tried to hack him down. he's a winner. i hope his mentality can balance out the kane curse. 

he's the kind of player you want in your team for sure. but he is also a massive bellend. the biggest bellend i've seen on a football pitch for sometime. glad he's english mind.