Euro 24

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

i think he fancied taking it to pens, which may have been our best chance of a win. 

he was also about to bring on trippier for shaw, which i sort of understood. not that trippier has offered much offensively at left back (not his fault) but shaw was clearly flagging as the game progressed and wouldn't have had the legs for ET. 

gallagher is a weird one. he runs around a lot, but he is he any better than sean longstaff? i dunno. 

@alex - i had a similar moment of clarity to you last night - wasn't really emotionally invested in the game either. i wanted england to win, but really didn't feel that low at the final whistle. totally different following your cub all season, when every poor result stings for a day or two. i can't wait for a return of club football and supporting the team that really matters again 

I had money on Spain so I was happy either way. Im just massively disconnected from supporting England these days.

10 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

Ultimately it was their imagination that won it imo.  We have great players but they are just not as creative. I am not sure this can be coached or is a cultural thing. Southgate doesn't help in this regard.

Foden, Palmer, Saka and Bellingham had 54 assists between them last season. If you want creativity then you have to have a system that allows these players to flourish but ultimately you can't play them all together. 

• Like 1

Just now, ewerk said:

Foden, Palmer, Saka and Bellingham had 54 assists between them last season. If you want creativity then you have to have a system that allows these players to flourish but ultimately you can't play them all together. 

Not saying we are not creative, obviously we are, but I think Spain are on another level, and I am not convinced that is completely down to coaching/tactics.  Spain is an artistically very expressive and flamboyant nation.  England, well, have you been here? 

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, trophyshy said:

You can't make paella with chips, gravy and mushy peas. 

I bet Ray can

IMG_8911.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

You should see my FM24 England team. Win every match 6-5.

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I had money on Spain so I was happy either way. Im just massively disconnected from supporting England these days.

But not Southgate 

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Of course Shearer absolutely scoffed at the idea of "England being managed by a German?!" when Klopp was mentioned, the fucking tit. 

Went on to say that for him the England manager needs to be English. 

Brexit voter, Shearer. I guarantee it. :lol:

I kind of agree with him that your manager should be from the same nation but them's not the rules so it's every country for themselves.

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

No. Glad that interesting topic has been sorted straight away. Let's move onto something really interesting; is it written that travelling England fans have  to be from parochial shitholes like Stoke, Port Vale and Gillingham?

Port Vale is in Stoke. :good:

18 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

But not Southgate 

It all tongue in cheek. To be honest, if you don't watch much of England and then look this record you'd say he has done really well. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I kind of agree with him that your manager should be from the same nation but them's not the rules so it's every country for themselves.

Yeah, interesting topic. We should discuss more.

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

:lol: 

This cheeky cunt admitted in his autobiography that England just wasn't a priority for him. He opted out of the 2002 World Cup so he could focus on Liverpool, and when McClaren was desperate and asked him to come back, he refused. 

So I suppose he'd at least be well informed as to what it looks like when England players don't turn up at big tournaments. 

• Like 6

carragher's got a bit of a point - foden didn't really turn up, other than in the first half against holland, nor did bellingham, other than in rare moments of magic, and kane, who didn't look fit. 

but it's natural to ask why players who are playing for the biggest teams in europe can't replicate their club form for the national team after a tournament where we stumbled to the final without ever really winning convincingly. they appear constrained - often played out of position - and the system which was changed from four at the back, to three at the back then back to four at the back again for the final, doesn't play to their strengths. and for that the manager has to take responsibility. 

no one is denying that southgate has done a brilliant job, taking over when england were in dire straits then going deep in four tournaments, but as manager he has to be accountable. it's always been the way in football - at club and international level. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

no one is denying that southgate has done a brilliant job, taking over when england were in dire straits then going deep in four tournaments, but as manager he has to be accountable. it's always been the way in football - at club and international level. 

I will openly deny it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Port Vale is in Stoke. :good:

I was just going off the flags. I assumed there was a difference. 

No intention of ever going to either.

That is actually fucking mental to watch. 

It's like you're playing against the computer on an early version of Fifa, and it does something completely fucking batshit when it's in an attacking position. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

That is actually fucking mental to watch. 

It's like you're playing against the computer on an early version of Fifa, and it does something completely fucking batshit when it's in an attacking position. 

especially as shaw is hugging the touchline and free for an easy ball to recycle possession and start another attack. Pickford’s long kicking was rank all evening 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I was just going off the flags. I assumed there was a difference. 

No intention of ever going to either.

I've been to both, (well, Stoke's old ground). Think Vale is in the Burslam district without checking? Messrs Robbie Williams and Stanley Matthews both hailed from Stoke. :D

But you're right about the flags, they're the tournament fans because of course they are. (The alternative is lower league football with the occasional cup final against Sunderland). :good:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

Messrs Robbie Williams and Stanley Matt

Show Off Know It All GIF by FX Networks

• Haha 6