Euro 24

52 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Right now that that's fucking ngbsorted, how are the Newcastle boys looking?

Gordon should be nicely rested, Schar got through unscathed, right? Trippier looked tired and hanky but that's what he looked like at the end of the season so...

Any other of our boys at the tournament?

49 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Schar and Dubravka. 

Trips off to Saudi and Dubs back to ManU as 4th choice, so it doesn't really matter to our first team.

Disappointing game, thankfully the Copa final starts in an hour or so, so we can watch some entertaining football.

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Learn how to post twitter links. Fool!

Would have gone back to fix it but seeing as a hysterical Irishman beat me by about 3 seconds why bother :lol:

Foden was absolutely horrendous bar 30 minutes against the Dutch. All tournament long. Pure shite. Wretched showing, no excuse. 

Bellingham wasn't much better. Flashes of quality but largely anonymous. 

Kane was fucking dogshit for the entire tournament. Neville was running his idiotic mouth before the game about how Kane is England's greatest ever player. If that's the case no wonder we never fucking win anything as he is DOGSHIT. He's been a nothing player for years, but this was the first time he really went into past-it territory. But why take it from me today? You could always go back to this post from March '23 and see how many of you were lining up to sing his praises - a year later he is UTTERLY FINISHED and I don't give a fuck how many goals were put on a platter for him at Bayern. If any of you watched that "performance" today and thought there's still life in this guy as an international player you're living in delusion. Le Normand and Laporte could've fucked off for a kebab and would've been back before he even made it into the box. And that is the essence of Southgate as a manager - he's a safety-first coward who only makes changes when he's forced into them and has no tactical nous whatsoever. The only times we've looked good in this tournament is when we've been behind and therefore have of necessity had to cast off his desperately defensive instructions and try to make something happen. He needs to resign. I realise that's harsh on someone who has led us to two major finals and a major semi-final, but the evidence is plain to see. He is holding this team back. We can progress no further. If we ever want to win anything we won't do it with him. 

Player of the tournament for me was Saka. Guehi would be runner-up. Mainoo also came into his own during this tournament. I think the likes of Watkins, Toney, Bowen, Eze, Gordon and Palmer can all be astonished at their lack of game time especially as not one of them put a foot wrong when called upon. 

• Like 3

England had the players to have a go at winning, but didn't play them enough. Well played Spain. Deserved winners, had a great tournament.

2 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

Foden was absolutely horrendous bar 30 minutes against the Dutch. All tournament long. Pure shite. Wretched showing, no excuse. 

Kane was fucking dogshit for the entire tournament. Neville was running his idiotic mouth before the game about how Kane is England's greatest ever player. If that's the case no wonder we never fucking win anything as he is DOGSHIT. He's been a nothing player for years, but this was the first time he really went into past-it territory. But why take it from me today? You could always go back to this post from March '23 and see how many of you were lining up to sing his praises - a year later he is UTTERLY FINISHED and I don't give a fuck how many goals were put on a platter for him at Bayern. If any of you watched that "performance" today and thought there's still life in this guy as an international player you're living in delusion. Le Normand and Laporte could've fucked off for a kebab and would've been back before he even made it into the box. And that is the essence of Southgate as a manager - he's a safety-first coward who only makes changes when he's forced into them and has no tactical nous whatsoever. The only times we've looked good in this tournament is when we've been behind and therefore have of necessity had to cast off his desperately defensive instructions and try to make something happen. He needs to resign. I realise that's harsh on someone who has led us to two major finals and a major semi-final, but the evidence is plain to see. He is holding this team back. We can progress no further. If we ever want to win anything we won't do it with him. 

Player of the tournament for me was Saka. Guehi would be runner-up. Mainoo also came into his own during this tournament. I think the likes of Watkins, Toney, Bowen, Eze, Gordon and Palmer can all be astonished at their lack of game time especially as not one of them put a foot wrong when called upon. 

He doesn't need to resign as his time is up at the end of the year IIRC.

Just hope the FA doesn't offer him another contract through to the WC because... you know, perhaps this time etc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

IMG_8910.jpeg.f1a9ebe6fe78c97a153f2452354efbdd.jpeg

Eamonn to all of that. Bar maybe a send-off fixture, Kane and Southgate should both be put out to pasture. It’s right that a lot of players didn’t perform but a lot of the way the team played was restricted by having Kane upfront. Not so much a cart horse. More an overladen one running through treacle. And persisting with him is 100% on Southgate. 
Also, and apologies if it’s been mentioned elsewhere - isn’t Pickford in the side for his ability with the ball at his feet? I might be being unduly harsh but I thought that almost every time he had the ball he played it long to the centre forward. Which is Sunday morning stuff 

• Like 1

I will not be the one to criticize the conservative and defensive game. I love when Atlético did it (2013-2020), I love when Howe did it with us last year.

Even I, in the times in which I have been a coach of neighborhood teams, used to be quite defensive because it was the best way to win in a football where there is hardly any level and the tactics shine.

Going into the tournament, I believed England potentially had the best team. I had no doubts, in fact. But once I saw the real list and saw that players like Grealish, Rashford, Henderson, Maddison and Chilwell were left out and that they only had Shaw (injured) as left back, I thought things might not go so well.

There is no doubt that Southgate, by results, is perhaps the best English coach in history. He has played 4 major tournaments and has achieved two runners-up finishes in Europe and has reached the quarterfinals in the last World Cup (where England did play well in my opinion and deserved to beat France in that game).

The problem is that England has a team and selection to play something different and, making the most of it, have won a title.

I think the best years of a great generation have been wasted, although now another one is coming. The one led by Foden, Bellingham, Saka, Gordon, Rice... Still young players. And it is essential to find the ideal coach for this.

It makes no sense that, with the poor performance that almost all the players have given in this tournament, you have not given more minutes to players like Watkins, Gordon, Eze...

As for yesterday's game... It was typical of a final. England were very good without the ball. Spain was not too superior, even if it tried harder. He barely managed to create chances. Anyone could have won it. England, after tying, had good minutes to score the second. He was even able to force extra time with that last corner that Olmo took under the sticks.

I have been a defender of Southgate because results always rule, but I think it is time to make a change. The problem is that I don't know if there is an English coach qualified to handle this great team or you would have to go look for a coach outside.

• Like 7

If Howe doesn't want it, and I really hope he doesn't, there's Potter, O'Neill, or someone non-English. 

And Howe (or a potential foreign candidate) would be streets ahead of Potter or O'Neill. 

• Like 3

Poch maybe? I honestly don’t really care though. I had a slightly weird experience about 30 minutes into the match last night. It was an almost blissful realisation that I didn’t give a fuck. It’s not something you can force, because even as a ‘neutral’ when I watch a game I almost always end up wanting one team to win. I didn’t want England to get beat. And I quite like the squad. I just had next to no emotional investment in the result. 

• Like 5

The worst thing about this tournament is that the team and the manager should have LOADS of regrets. Wrong team selections, horrendously negative/conservative tactics, mistakes in the squad selection. 

Then the fact the team could clearly play when it needed to - evidence having an ability to constantly recover from falling behind - but whenever the scores were level, he was happy to sit back and just... I don't even know what. Wait for someone to produce something magic? There was no attempt to make things happen for ourselves. 

We went into the tournament with this wealth of attacking players and Southgate treated it like it was a weakness rather than a strength, and negated the squad's biggest asset with his pathetic tactics.

On tactics too, Eddie Howe had a year and a bit off when he left Bournemouth and he travelled the world honing his coaching skills and trying to learn. Most of Southgate's job as England manager was down time. The FA would have happily funded him to do something like Howe did, but he didn't bother his arse as far as I can tell. I remember saying in earlier tournaments that he seemed like the sort of bloke that would address the shortcomings in his abilities, but if anything they just became more entrenched. 

Theres loads to be grateful to Southgate for, but the fact that there won't be a top club offering him a job tells you everything you need to know about his abilities as a manager. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

Lampard is trending on X so I assume his name Is being thrown into the mix. I'd take anyone bar Eddie.

Lineker mentioned Lampard on his pod. Honestly I think he's bright enough to know his limitations and would bring a proper coaching team with him. 

He would be MILES from first choice, but I don't think he'd be any worse than Southgate. 

Only thing to worry about is how he is with the players - he was pretty happy to hang them out to dry in his recent stints as club manager.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

howe will fuck off for the england job if the tight saudi cunts don't start buying him something other than shite goalkeepers.

mark my words.

:lol: That’s quite the take 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The worst thing about this tournament is that the team and the manager should have LOADS of regrets. Wrong team selections, horrendously negative/conservative tactics, mistakes in the squad selection. 

Then the fact the team could clearly play when it needed to - evidence having an ability to constantly recover from falling behind - but whenever the scores were level, he was happy to sit back and just... I don't even know what. Wait for someone to produce something magic? There was no attempt to make things happen for ourselves. 

We went into the tournament with this wealth of attacking players and Southgate treated it like it was a weakness rather than a strength, and negated the squad's biggest asset with his pathetic tactics.

On tactics too, Eddie Howe had a year and a bit off when he left Bournemouth and he travelled the world honing his coaching skills and trying to learn. Most of Southgate's job as England manager was down time. The FA would have happily funded him to do something like Howe did, but he didn't bother his arse as far as I can tell. I remember saying in earlier tournaments that he seemed like the sort of bloke that would address the shortcomings in his abilities, but if anything they just became more entrenched. 

Theres loads to be grateful to Southgate for, but the fact that there won't be a top club offering him a job tells you everything you need to know about his abilities as a manager. 

This is worth an applause. Great post. 

But what makes me chuckle. You'll get people ramming the 'best England manager ever' shite down at you. Oh yeh? He's also first manager to get to two finals and lose em both when he really had the players to win them both. 

The same people wank over Kane. Kane who smashes fuck out of Gibraltar in a friendly (like he should) but for this whole tournament has been missing. Friendlies like that where Southgate should be giving Watkins etc well over an hour of football but he won't.

Hes a very limited manager and is scared of upsetting a few of his pals. 

Foden and Bellingham. Two of the best attacking players in the world last season have looked bang average for half a match of football and then shit the rest all because of Safegate football. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

England should’ve to gone out to Slovakia and were incredibly lucky not to do so. That’s the legacy he deserved for his tactics and selections in this tournament 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

Of course Shearer absolutely scoffed at the idea of "England being managed by a German?!" when Klopp was mentioned, the fucking tit. 

Went on to say that for him the England manager needs to be English. 

Brexit voter, Shearer. I guarantee it. :lol:

• Haha 5

Kane hasn't suddenly become a bad striker, he's still one of the best in world football, it looks to me like a combination of a lack of fitness and a system that doesn't suit him at all.

Looking at this England team and it's hard not to see similarities to Sven's side. Full of top quality players but a manager who is determined to shoe horn them into a team that just doesn't work together. If you're going to play Kane then you need runners in behind and Gordon would have been perfect for that but instead Southgate sticks Foden out there. If you want to play Foden and Bellingham together as No. 10s then you can't have a lone striker as immobile as Harry Kane but you do need a manager with more balls than Southgate to drop your top goalscorer.

It's basically another missed opportunity. Another tournament where England get through playing with the handbrake on which will get you so far but won't get you far enough to win the actual thing.

• Like 6

Just now, Gemmill said:

How much better are this Spain team to watch than the tikitaka lads btw? Tremendous. 

Played 7, won 7.

Their pressing, their intensity etc is what our should be with the players we have. 

• Like 2