Euro 24

3 hours ago, Chaser said:

Much like his team selection. 

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

• Like 1

I'm happy it's Netherlands in the semi final and not Turkey.  

England v Turkey would have been hell on.    

If it's France v England in the final they should just go straight to penalties and save us all two hours of watching dross. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Southgate is the Cliff Thorburn of football. It isn’t pretty, but his record in big tournaments is decent. 

I can see us grinding our way to the final. Southgate is lucky, cautious, a tactical dinosaur and reluctant to make changes unless he’s forced to, or to drop his favourites - even when they’re not performing.

However, he knows how to progress in tournament football. I can see us sneaking past Holland then losing to France on pens in the final after 120 minutes of sideways passing and goalless tedium 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Southgate is the Cliff Thorburn of football. it isn’t pretty, but he’s record in big tournaments is decent. 

I can see us grinding our way to the final. Southgate is lucky, cautious, a tactical dinosaur and reluctant to make changes unless he’s forced to or to drop his favourites - even when they’re not performing.

However, he knows how to progress in tournament football. I can see us sneaking past Holland then losing to France on pens in the final after 120 minutes of sideways passing and goalless tedium 

I seen what you did there, very good. Cliff Thorburn's nickname was "The Grinder" 😎

• Like 1

Difficult to judge this one. Who can say whether the build up to the semi final will match the tedium of the game itself? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Difficult to judge this one. Who can say whether the build up to the semi final will match the tedium of the game itself? 

It’s coming…yawn

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Southgate is the Cliff Thorburn of football. It isn’t pretty, but his record in big tournaments is decent. 

I can see us grinding our way to the final. Southgate is lucky, cautious, a tactical dinosaur and reluctant to make changes unless he’s forced to, or to drop his favourites - even when they’re not performing.

I've pretty much fully checked out at this point tbh. I would like our players to play and do well but thats about it.

Whats the point of winning the games or even the tournament if 5 minutes of it is enjoyable?

Nothing is at stake if we don't win it, the country isn't going to get relegated and go out of business, some other bigger country isn't going to come and take our players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

I seen what you did there, very good. Cliff Thorburn's nickname was "The Grinder" 😎

Also my favourite website. 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

🙋🏻‍♂️ obvs 😆

mrs tbd gets hyper watching england play, odd really as she's generally not particularly patriotic. 

anyway, for the greater good I kept mime internal!  :)

14 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

mrs tbd gets hyper watching england play, odd really as she's generally not particularly patriotic. 

I’d like to see England win but I always laugh when they get knocked out…. most folk on here are realistic but there is so much misplaced entitlement across the country that I just can’t hide my amusement….

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I’d like to see England win but I always laugh when they get knocked out…. most folk on here are realistic but there is so much misplaced entitlement across the country that I just can’t hide my amusement….

This 👆Apart from the batshit crazy mental first few words. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, thebrokendoll said:

anybody else cheer when schar scored his penalty?

NUFC 1- 0 Sunderland   

Of course I did. :lol:

• Haha 5

Aye.  I’d rather go out in the semis playing great football and having bad luck than watching that every week and winning the tournament.  

Not sure what the general population would prefer as I don’t particularly care about England. 

43 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Everyone in Scotland 

...and Switzerland.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I want Hurricane Higgins. Or at the very least Kirk Stevens. Failing that, Tony Knowles. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

Aye, it’s funny like. My lass isn’t that into  football but couldn’t watch the pens due to the tension :lol: . I wanted England to win but I really wasn’t that arsed. 

• Like 4

Were in the lakes next week and wor lass was annoyed we've booked a restaurant the day we play. I'm pretty happy about it 😂

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I want Hurricane Higgins. Or at the very least Kirk Stevens. Failing that, Tony Knowles. 

I’d take Bill Werbeniuk at this stage 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

This 👆Apart from the batshit crazy mental first few words. 

So you weren’t born in England, but lived in Newcastle as a lad?… 

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’d take Bill Werbeniuk at this stage 

IIRC, he’d probably be up for it.   

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Were in the lakes next week and wor lass was annoyed we've booked a restaurant the day we play. I'm pretty happy about it 😂

STOP THE INTERNET AND PRAISE THE LORD.  

Wykiki is *fairly*  happy about something. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Haha 5