Rate this season

Out of 10 everyone.

Overall, I'd give it a 6.5/10. The season had a great start and an enjoyable ending, but the middle was quite wonky.

I was really worried about Eddie's future for a moment, especially with the way results were going in the middle of the season. I understand he clearly doesn't like some of the options left on the bench after all those injuries, but come on, Eddie. It is what it is; they were running on fumes. A little rotation would have been good—use some of those lads.

Hopefully, the return of Tonali and another 2-3 extra signings will mean Eddie rotates more because they'll be players he wanted. In that respect, the Conference League competition should be great. It's a competition we should go deep in, so it will give Eddie good practice for the 25/26 season when we're back in the Champions League and ready for a title challenge!

Cant for the MINTEH as well.

I had a lad tell me today that he followed Man City through "some tough times." 

I used to be this child's teacher and coach and I know for a fact he's about 23, so unless he was wrapped in a City scarf as a bairn, there's no fucking way he knew anything about "tough times" at City. So I asked him what tough times those were, and he goes "well, we didn't win any titles until 'Aguero.'" 

6.5 :lol: :lol: 

• Haha 8

8/10 .. Managed to get on the brink of Europe despite an unprecedented injury list. Battered PSG and only missed out on the knock out stages due to a dodgy VAR decision. Got to the quarters in both cups.

• Like 6

It's hard to judge the season because of  the horrific injuries we had.  I maybe hoped we could kick on but there are still a lot of average players in the squad that didn't hit the same heights as last season.

7.5/10.. Some great memories and also some hammerings.

• Like 1

8 feels too high given the levels of frustration for extended periods of the season. 

7.5 seems too low for a season in which we nearly got out of the CL group of death and made it to two cup QFs, despite a ludicrous injury record. 

7.75 it is. 

• Haha 3

Bigger achievement than last year considering the injuries and some key wrong decisions against us. Impressed with all the summer signings (from what little I saw of Tonali), lots of potential there. There were some lows, like Forest at home, but overall a solid 9/10 for me. Genuinely think next year might be our true breakthrough year and there is not a manager in world football I'd want over Howe. 

• Like 3

7/10. 

we overachieved last season by a few places. I think we're a place or two lower than we could have been this season. 

there is obviously mitigation: the injuries, the tonali suspension, the ffp nonsense, the cup draws, a trusted player such as trippier costing us several points etc. plus howe wasn't backed by the saudis in the winter window when it was clear we needed reinforcements and when you take all of that into consideration, howe has done brilliantly yet again. 

and yet, it does feel like we slightly blew it at the death, when 6th place was in our hands with three games to play. we also threw away points too often, particularly away from home, in games where we should have been getting something. and for months, we were playing with a massive hole between our midfield and defence which he struggled to address.

i think, had we finished 6th and secured europa league football, it would have been as big or even a bigger achievement than last season. 7th is a good effort, but falls slightly short of last season, despite the mitigation, if we end up with no european football. 

and for balance, howe needs to be called out for what he got wrong: not trusting the kids on the bench more when we were restricted to 11 senior players who were all fatigued. loyalty to certain players who weren't performing for various reasons (dubravka, burn and longstaff all spring to mind), and a lack of tactical flexibility though to be fair to howe, this is something he rectified as the season progressed. 

questions remain: do howe/the players have the mindset for the big games? will howe learn from mistakes made this season? will we be able to hang on to gordon, isak and bruno while adding more players of their quality? 

i back the manager's ability and i hope the owners continue to support him too. a lot will hinge on the transfer business. it needs to be better than it has been for the past 12 months. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Renton said:

Bigger achievement than last year considering the injuries and some key wrong decisions against us. Impressed with all the summer signings (from what little I saw of Tonali), lots of potential there. There were some lows, like Forest at home, but overall a solid 9/10 for me. Genuinely think next year might be our true breakthrough year and there is not a manager in world football I'd want over Howe. 

9/10 seems a bit generous. 

i agree there's no other manager i can think of that i would want for this project more than howe but he definitely made mistakes this season. 

i'd say the summer window was good, but not great. obviously there was the tonali disaster, which can be forgiven if he returns next season and lives up to his price tag. 

i'm still not sure barnes was the best use of £40m, given how tight the finances are due to ffp, when we were crying out for a third striker and we had gordon in that position plus decent rotation options in joelinton, miggy, isak - even murphy can play on the left.

barnes has shown occasional quality and looks like the best finisher out of our wide forwards, but he can go missing from games quite a bit when he's not contributing with goals. definitely not as busy as gordon but perhaps i'll judge him better if he can play more games next season. 

the two young full backs have impressed but trippier still seems to be howe's first choice RB and it took for all of our CBs to get injured to force howe to move burn inside and finally give hall a run in the team. 

1 hour ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Out of 10 everyone.

Overall, I'd give it a 6.5/10. The season had a great start and an enjoyable ending, but the middle was quite wonky.

I was really worried about Eddie's future for a moment, especially with the way results were going in the middle of the season. I understand he clearly doesn't like some of the options left on the bench after all those injuries, but come on, Eddie. It is what it is; they were running on fumes. A little rotation would have been good—use some of those lads.

Hopefully, the return of Tonali and another 2-3 extra signings will mean Eddie rotates more because they'll be players he wanted. In that respect, the Conference League competition should be great. It's a competition we should go deep in, so it will give Eddie good practice for the 25/26 season when we're back in the Champions League and ready for a title challenge!

Cant for the MINTEH as well.

That deft, back heeled, looping volley of a finish. 

dirty mind pleasure GIF by Refinery 29 GIFs

7/10 We did remarkable considering all the players we had missing for long periods.

I still find it wonderful but strange that these days we are actually trying to win a cup...any cup.

Next season will be even better.

• Like 2

9 is mental. It means if we win the Conference League (or anything else) next year, that that first trophy in forever is ONLY worth maximum one more point.

Then there's bigger trophies to win beyond that. 

Renton is a man with NO VIABLE FUTURE in "Rate the season" threads. He needs taking in hand and recalibrating to within an inch of his life. 

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

9 is mental. It means if we win the Conference League (or anything else) next year, that that first trophy in forever is ONLY worth maximum one more point.

Then there's bigger trophies to win beyond that. 

Renton is a man with NO VIABLE FUTURE in "Rate the season" threads. He needs taking in hand and recalibrating to within an inch of his life. 

Depends how you look at it. I'm judging the year with full consideration to the appalling injuries and dodgy decisions we've had to endure. If we had maintained a fully fit side and referees were acting on their bungs as they're supposed to, and we finished 7th it would score a 3 for me. Also an extra point for the shear enjoyability of many matches. Been a class year preparing ourselves for next year - the John Smith of seasons before Tony Blair when we notch it up to 11. 

spinal tap GIF by Comic-Con HQ

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

Why has Renton all of sudden become Mr Optimistic? 

I've said it before. I don't do optimism, I don't do pessimism. I do realism based on the facts. It's entirely natural that realism and pessimism have overlapped massively in the Venn diagram under Ashley and the like of Bruce so I forgive you thinking I'm a miserable cunt. But that is over now. I predicted 6th at best for us at the start of the season due to the added stress of the CL but without factoring in the injury crisis and Tonali liking a bettyyy. So we performed above expectations for me. Next year, all things being equal, I think we will advance in the league and have a huge chance at winning a cup, especially the EC. Realism 👍.

• Haha 3

"I forgive you thinking I'm a miserable cunt."

:lol:

The entire forum is forgiven in that case. One of the most benevolent acts of forgiveness since Jesus walked the earth. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I've said it before. I don't do optimism, I don't do pessimism. I do realism based on the facts.  

Drinking Beer GIF by Dude Bro Party Massacre III

• Haha 3

Renton is more correct than he's wrong, you have to consider all the circumstances of the season. To rate as if we'd had anywhere near a full squad all year is bollocks, had that been the case, where we've ended up, this season would have been in the 5-6 range.

Solid 8 for me, next season will be rated on it's own merits, this years numbers are irrelevant.

• Like 1

An 8 for me.

7ths a solid position taking everything into account but there have been so many positives and we've NEVER been boring.

Battering PSG and giving a decent account in the CL, beating city in the cup, embarassing sunderland in the first derby in years.

The emergence/flourishing of Gordon, Isak, Livramento and Miley.

Record goals scored and league results like Villa on the opening day,  8-0 v Sheff U and Man u in the cup then finishing above them, the club I hate above all others for the first time in my life.

Good season that.

• Like 4

7/10. Some memorable days and performances and a superb effort by everyone to be on the brink of Europe after suffering through all those injuries and what not. Away form and tons of indivdual errors things to be worked on for next seaon, having a fuller squad will go a long way of course.

I think it’s very easy now to forget that we are still very much a club in transition. 

Given the state we were in at the takeover, to have made the CL and then finish 7th in these first two seasons is nothing short of miraculous. 

The injuries early on were a great example to the board of the weakness of our squad, but we’ve still managed to finish above Ten Pence’s lads. 

Onwards, boys, onwards. 

5-7. 
Would. 

• Like 4

I'll go for 8/10. I think I predicted a 7th place finish at the start of the season but at the same time I think my prediction was ultimately wrong. I thought we'd be largely full strength and 7th with fatigue and CL playing a part in our dropping off. To be as ravaged as we have been and to be within a whisker of 6th, if not 5th were we running fairly normal levels of injury, is actually a really positive achievement for the club.

I think if our big players stay it will underline that this is the view in the dressing room too.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don’t know why really but it bugs me I’m asked to rate something out of ten and the person asking introduces decimal points :lol: Parky used to do it with films all the time but he’d go down .25s. I realise this is not something worth getting annoyed about :lol: anyway an 8/10*
*IF Man City win on Saturday. 

I’d have given anything for a season like this a few years back 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1