Newcastle United vs Nottingham Forest

LongTimeAdmirer

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Shit day all round. I remember now why I generally don't drink much nowadays, probably shouldn't drink at all given my medical history. My serotonin levels are rock bottom, gonna have to drive to the in-laws in county Durham soon without the crutch of a drink to take off the edge. Depression, anxiety. Then I'll have insomnia tonight. Oh, and Liverpool away to look forward to ffs. Fucking hate this time of year. Humbug fuck sticks 

winnie the pooh love quotes GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

See I don't blame Trippier for our lack of threat from set pieces, it's the lumps he's aiming at that don't do what they should. We've got a tall squad, but are so often beaten in the air by defenders. The best corners are where we reposition with a short ball then loft in a ball from somewhere other than the corner flag. 

For what it's worth I think Tonali is good with a dead ball, but we haven't got to see that much at all.

I'd love to see us do something different from corners.

Like take them quickly before the opposition get set.

Seems to be about a 45 second pause when we get one, while Trippier ambles over and delivers erratically into the box.

Surely if the nearest player grabbed the ball and got it back into play the rest of the league would at least get a surprise?

1 minute ago, ackas said:

I'd love to see us do something different from corners.

Like take them quickly before the opposition get set.

Seems to be about a 45 second pause when we get one, while Trippier ambles over and delivers erratically into the box.

Surely if the nearest player grabbed the ball and got it back into play the rest of the league would at least get a surprise?

I'm all for innovation at set pieces, I don't mind a well worked routine. I can't remember the manager, but didn't we used to stack up 4-5 big lads, then dart off in seemingly random directions? That was fun. 

There should be variation though, inswinging and outswinging, near post/far post, drilled or lofted. Which I guess is the point we're both making. One of Eddie's strategies is to overload one flank, switch the ball to the other during the attack, then switch back to the overloaded flank.

No reason we can't do a version of that; overload the near post, play a short corner, loft to a now isolated player on the far side, then have him play it back in to the now far post, or if the better option is to have a shot have the winger do that instead. It's the same basic plan, but from a set play instead of open play.

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Shit day all round. I remember now why I generally don't drink much nowadays, probably shouldn't drink at all given my medical history. My serotonin levels are rock bottom, gonna have to drive to the in-laws in county Durham soon without the crutch of a drink to take off the edge. Depression, anxiety. Then I'll have insomnia tonight. Oh, and Liverpool away to look forward to ffs. Fucking hate this time of year. Humbug fuck sticks 

I read that through the singing voice of Cliff Richard to great amusement.

Anyway, I feel like returning the favour - try the Wim Hof breathing technique and give it a week.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2023 at 16:27, PaddockLad said:

This is it. If this season fades away into mid table nothingness it may well be dagger to heart of some punters’ pride but I don’t have the “THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE” gene. That phrase has been trotted out over the last month by people supremely unqualified to utter it. If what we’re dishing up isn’t acceptable to to you as a fan what’s your next move? I’d suggest it’s out the door with the rest of the fuckin Jonny come latelys. I’ve always thought that there 11 shirts to support every weekend and then it’s a personal choice thing, and for that last couple of months it’s been about every three days which is where the problem mostly lies, not that people want to accept that as the main reason seeing as their association with a winning side is now looking precarious 🙄 The current squad indisputably deserve our unqualified support. The personal criticism of individuals visibly running out of  steam and ideas is frankly bollocks. Howe has question to answer though. 

I was in the very back row of the upper tier of the gallowgate yesterday. I shuffled me way along to my seat about 30 seconds before kick off only to find there was somebody occupying the space of my seat. bloke there (mid 30s) announced the seat i had was the only one in the entire row which was not owned by a season ticket holder. his was the empty seat next to it and would i mind having that one so he could stand next to his mate? 

no problem.

not sure if the fucker was having a slight dig that I wasn't a season ticket holder or not but I couldn't get much more than a grunt out the cunt to any comment I made about the match.

fair enough.

before it was announced how much stoppage time was to be added I was literally the only person left in the back row of block t, by the time the final whistle was blown I was one of only several left in the entire section.

our support on the whole was shite yesterday, but it extends way beyond the jonny come latelys.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I'm all for innovation at set pieces, I don't mind a well worked routine. I can't remember the manager, but didn't we used to stack up 4-5 big lads, then dart off in seemingly random directions? That was fun. 

There should be variation though, inswinging and outswinging, near post/far post, drilled or lofted. Which I guess is the point we're both making. One of Eddie's strategies is to overload one flank, switch the ball to the other during the attack, then switch back to the overloaded flank.

No reason we can't do a version of that; overload the near post, play a short corner, loft to a now isolated player on the far side, then have him play it back in to the now far post, or if the better option is to have a shot have the winger do that instead. It's the same basic plan, but from a set play instead of open play.

We have shown more variations of set pieces in the last four weeks than some clubs do in a decade tbh. We had quite a few efforts where we did pass it around instead of just whipping them in like all clubs do about 99 times out of 100. We did create some decent efforts either way by the way.

I am really not sure if I watch different games these days.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

We have shown more variations of set pieces in the last four weeks than some clubs do in a decade tbh. We had quite a few efforts where we did pass it around instead of just whipping them in like all clubs do about 99 times out of 100. We did create some decent efforts either way by the way.

💯 agree with this. I thought I was taking stupid pills or something.

We literally try something inventive every game we play.  We must be one of the only teams that do. 

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 3

Bit of perspective as gutting and disappointing as recent results have been and I know expectation goes up a lot….but fuck me, I’ve seen Glen Keeley and Graham Oates score own goals that Shearer would be proud as fuck to put in the right net! …Wayne bastard Fereday failing to be a footballer on every level, Bobby fuckin Shinton, John Cornwell (his goal celebrations with Gazza excluded) Marce bastard lino the fuckin de jongs…Nile Ranger, that Fumaca or whatever his bastard name was…we’ve had managers and chairmen(owners) with the charm and charisma of a lump of shite and the intelligence and ambition to match. We now have a team and manager and staff and owners who all want and crave success, like us lot. There’ll be ups there’ll be downs, but the downs won’t last for what seemed like an eternity previously. Also from my personal memories of going, more often than not we have always seemed to hit our crap run in December and January …no idea why but it just seems to happen…mostly.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

💯 agree with this. I thought I was taking stupid pills or something.

We literally try something inventive every game we play.  We must be one of the only teams that do. 

Going Crazy Will Ferrell GIF

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Isegrim said:

We do show innovation from corners.

The routine against Luton that gave Bruno a shot at goal was a good example, but we do just throw it in the box more than we probably should.

I'm pretty sure the Lacelles goal against Chelsea originated from a set piece on the other side of the pitch, that was played across to Gordon to put in.

We definitely could do more though, as per the explanation above...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Of course Wood got his head to practically everything in their box as well. 🙁 

What are you talking about Robin, everyone knows kiwi Chris is shit!

TBH I'd be willing to put money on Wood scoring more in the league than Wilson in January - 20 quid to the SBR Foundation, any takers who aren't landscapers?

• Haha 1