Banter or Hate Crime?

CovJet

Dear Toon fans,

I’m a Wolves fan – coming in peace and hoping you can help me out…but before I start, congrats on an unbelievable season.

I’m a senior Lecturer at Birmingham City University, writing academic papers as part of my PhD portfolio (Koln University). My research has a focus on the language used by football fans at games – for some people it’s ‘banter’ and for others, it has become a ‘hate crime’. It is a complex, emotive issue.

I want to find out what you think of the language used – I want you to be honest. 

The questionnaire is entirely voluntary and completely anonymous. I will only use the data I obtain for academic papers and once complete I will share the data with you on this forum. I have ethical approval granted from Koln University.

I will be comparing your answers with those from supporters of Arsenal, Wolves, Blackburn and Watford. 

The questionnaire should only take you a couple of minutes and I would like to thank you in advance. Here is the link:

https://questionpro.com/t/AX3LcZyJou

One last thing – we should definitely have had a penalty up at your place, shouldn’t we?

Kind regards,

Peter Evans 

Done and no re the pen 😂

Fwiw when experts, pros etc call em what you want say 'we don't want racism in our sport' imo they're failing to see it's what's in society and that person /people. 

You don't hang your suit up at a weekend, go to the game with the lads and suddenly change character do you? 

• Like 2

Thank you to all those who have replied so far. The replies so far are as follows:

Watford 60

Newcastle 35

Arsenal 5

(I haven't posted on Blackburn sites yet). Now we can't have the Toon behind Watford, so come on guys...

6 minutes ago, CovJet said:

Thank you to all those who have replied so far. The replies so far are as follows:

Watford 60

Newcastle 35

Arsenal 5

(I haven't posted on Blackburn sites yet). Now we can't have the Toon behind Watford, so come on guys....

No Way Reaction GIF

To be honest, who the fuck says 'we can see you holding hands'? Homophobic? 'banter'? It's just an absolute shit chant/song. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, CovJet said:

Watford 60

Newcastle 35

Arsenal 5

(I haven't posted on Blackburn sites yet). Now we can't have the Toon behind Watford, so come on guys...

Sarcastic-yes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

On 29/06/2023 at 10:00, Howmanheyman said:

No Way Reaction GIF

To be honest, who the fuck says 'we can see you holding hands'? Homophobic? 'banter'? It's just an absolute shit chant/song. 

I agree, but fans are getting ejected and arrested for singing it.

19 minutes ago, CovJet said:

I agree, but fans are getting ejected and arrested for singing it.

The finger wagging was for the 'guys' bit at the end, by the way. Not for me, Clive. :D

• Haha 1