St James’ Park

Craig

Definitely my preferred option. Can the issue with buidling on Leazes park be solved? I mean, if they convert the current SJP footprint into a linked pocket park, I can literally see no downsides with the plan. It would be great for Leazrs Terrace too which would be opened up to face the new park on both sides. For those reasons, surely objections would be limited and the listing status cancelled? 

• Like 3

Think I’ve mentioned before that Leazes Park is grade Ii listed. Which would be less of an issue for a building. As grade I is the higher designation. But there’s a lack of existing, Victorian city centre parks outside of London. I think that is surmountable with a will by local government to achieve the project, move existing structures to the ‘new’ part of the park on the old SJP, like Renton mentions. It would also probably by an improvement on the part of the current park they’re looking to build on too. Presumably the NUFC owners would look to help in costs around maintaining it as well. 
All, imo, better options than rebuilding the current one, and losing capacity in the meantime and moving out of the city centre. The latter would be a real shame 

• Like 3

Stadium plans discussed as Fan Advisory Board reconvenes

The latest Newcastle United Fan Advisory Board (FAB) meeting has taken place between supporters and senior club executives.

The FAB consists of supporter representatives and is a key part of Newcastle United's ongoing commitment to structured, strategic fan engagement.

During Monday's online meeting, a number of representatives from FAB were joined by Chief Operating Officer, Brad Miller, Chief Commercial Officer, Peter Silverstone and senior representatives from the club's supporter services, communications and commercial venue teams.

Peter Silverstone provided FAB members with an insight into the club's growing commercial department, which has added 12 new club partners since last summer, introduced a new website and app, and recently launched the new St. James' STACK, presented by Sela.

At the FAB's request, the club summarised the due diligence process that goes into building out a successful commercial partnership, which is supported by 'big four' professional services firms, and outlined plans to attract even more leading brands to the club's family of partners in future.

STADIUM FEASIBILITY

Brad Miller delivered an in-depth update on the club's stadium feasibility work to FAB members. As part of a comprehensive presentation, the club outlined that the study has now entered a crucial second phase, with more detailed analysis currently taking place to investigate project-related risks and opportunities before a decision stage in early 2025.

Brad said: "This is an exciting but extremely complex project, and I'd like to thank supporters for their patience as we conduct this key phase of the feasibility process.

"We aren't quite at a decision-making stage yet, but we are targeting the early part of 2025 to complete the next essential tasks.

"We know what a transformed St. James' Park would give us and we now have a significant amount of data and feedback on our stadium footprint and surrounding area, so we are several steps forward.

"But it is also clear that this option has several risks associated with it, so we need to fully analyse those risks against the opportunities to reach truly informed and intelligent outcomes.

"We are challenging our appointed design team, and ourselves, to make sure our eventual chosen route delivers a fantastic fan experience - one that represents the fans, city, region and club, and aligns with the long-term ambitions of our ownership group.

"But it must provide an investable return, and not least deliver strong revenue growth to increase our PSR headroom, which, as everyone knows, means we can invest more in football.

"Part of the process is also to understand alternative options so that we see the bigger picture and, again, find the right balance between risk and opportunity. This is a once-in-a-generation investment, so we don't want to look back in years to come, as a club or as a city, and regret an opportunity missed.

"Our objective is to select a scheme that is deliverable, affordable, and sustainable, so we are investing this time to make sure we are only going to spend money on the project where it will make the biggest difference - to fan experience, revenue, competitiveness, investment in football and operational efficiency.

"All this requires a robust process that leaves no stone unturned.”

Representatives of the FAB asked a number of critical questions throughout the presentation relating to the feasibility study, which the club will consider as the decision-making process continues.

Brad continued: "We are very grateful to the members of FAB for taking on board some of the detail behind our reasoning, and we look forward to their continued input as we move this historic project forward in the near future."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig said:

Stadium plans discussed as Fan Advisory Board reconvenes

The latest Newcastle United Fan Advisory Board (FAB) meeting has taken place between supporters and senior club executives.

The FAB consists of supporter representatives and is a key part of Newcastle United's ongoing commitment to structured, strategic fan engagement.

During Monday's online meeting, a number of representatives from FAB were joined by Chief Operating Officer, Brad Miller, Chief Commercial Officer, Peter Silverstone and senior representatives from the club's supporter services, communications and commercial venue teams.

Peter Silverstone provided FAB members with an insight into the club's growing commercial department, which has added 12 new club partners since last summer, introduced a new website and app, and recently launched the new St. James' STACK, presented by Sela.

At the FAB's request, the club summarised the due diligence process that goes into building out a successful commercial partnership, which is supported by 'big four' professional services firms, and outlined plans to attract even more leading brands to the club's family of partners in future.

STADIUM FEASIBILITY

Brad Miller delivered an in-depth update on the club's stadium feasibility work to FAB members. As part of a comprehensive presentation, the club outlined that the study has now entered a crucial second phase, with more detailed analysis currently taking place to investigate project-related risks and opportunities before a decision stage in early 2025.

Brad said: "This is an exciting but extremely complex project, and I'd like to thank supporters for their patience as we conduct this key phase of the feasibility process.

"We aren't quite at a decision-making stage yet, but we are targeting the early part of 2025 to complete the next essential tasks.

"We know what a transformed St. James' Park would give us and we now have a significant amount of data and feedback on our stadium footprint and surrounding area, so we are several steps forward.

"But it is also clear that this option has several risks associated with it, so we need to fully analyse those risks against the opportunities to reach truly informed and intelligent outcomes.

"We are challenging our appointed design team, and ourselves, to make sure our eventual chosen route delivers a fantastic fan experience - one that represents the fans, city, region and club, and aligns with the long-term ambitions of our ownership group.

"But it must provide an investable return, and not least deliver strong revenue growth to increase our PSR headroom, which, as everyone knows, means we can invest more in football.

"Part of the process is also to understand alternative options so that we see the bigger picture and, again, find the right balance between risk and opportunity. This is a once-in-a-generation investment, so we don't want to look back in years to come, as a club or as a city, and regret an opportunity missed.

"Our objective is to select a scheme that is deliverable, affordable, and sustainable, so we are investing this time to make sure we are only going to spend money on the project where it will make the biggest difference - to fan experience, revenue, competitiveness, investment in football and operational efficiency.

"All this requires a robust process that leaves no stone unturned.”

Representatives of the FAB asked a number of critical questions throughout the presentation relating to the feasibility study, which the club will consider as the decision-making process continues.

Brad continued: "We are very grateful to the members of FAB for taking on board some of the detail behind our reasoning, and we look forward to their continued input as we move this historic project forward in the near future."

Tired Sick Of It GIF by U by Kotex Brand

just get on with it and tell us where the new stadium is going to be ffs 

• Thanks 1

They do mention stadium footprint and surrounding areas so I wouldn't count anything out ... and they're inferring a rough timetable for decisions to be made. 

It's as complex as fuck, man and as they allude to, it's a once in a generation decision. 

Lack of patience from Gloomy is off the scale :lol:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If they have to buy land, announcing they're definitely moving will affect negotiations on price. It'll affect contract tendering for the different possible builds too. 

Patience. 

There's also the added matter of the CEO stepping down on health reasons. No doubt they will want Eales's replacement in post and to be able to add influence to any decision which probably accounts for the extended timeline.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

They do mention stadium footprint and surrounding areas so I wouldn't count anything out ... and they're inferring a rough timetable for decisions to be made. 

It's as complex as fuck, man and as they allude to, it's a once in a generation decision. 

Lack of patience from Gloomy is off the scale :lol:

Dick Wolf Question GIF by Wolf Entertainment

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Craig said:

There's also the added matter of the CEO stepping down on health reasons. No doubt they will want Eales's replacement in post and to be able to add influence to any decision which probably accounts for the extended timeline.

it's no small task to trawl through all the karaoke bars in downtown tokyo.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Not sure if this has been posted before or who’s come up with it but it looks fuckin great…. tiny footprint though, it would be a very tricky project… 

There’s further pics in the comments :good: 

This would be my preferred option, and it's still technically on the original site of SJP.

Build the inside to be state of the art, with the outside looking like this to honour the original SJP! I don't want it to be some awful Saudi looking birds nest of a thing. If the numbers in the online queue for season tickets was anything to go off, you could fill an 80k stadium no bother. 

IMG_3306.thumb.jpeg.29dd93de0a234c650c157589a5bfb4f7.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

This would be my preferred option, and it's still technically on the original site of SJP.

Build the inside to be state of the art, with the outside looking like this to honour the original SJP! I don't want it to be some awful Saudi looking birds nest of a thing. If the numbers in the online queue for season tickets was anything to go off, you could fill an 80k stadium no bother. 

IMG_3306.thumb.jpeg.29dd93de0a234c650c157589a5bfb4f7.jpeg

I think they’ll go for 65-70k with more room for corporate hospitality than normal fans, which is better from a psr perspective (if not atmosphere)

I’d like to see them do what spurs did with their stadium and build a single tier kop behind one of the goals. Make it all safe standing and hopefully it’l will generate some noise 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think they’ll go for 65-70k with more room for corporate hospitality than normal fans, which is better from a psr perspective (if not atmosphere)

I’d like to see them do what spurs did with their stadium and build a single tier kop behind one of the goals. Make it all safe standing and hopefully it’l will generate some noise 

Aye, I don't recall exactly where but not long after the spurs stadium was finished some podcast with football finances bloke on it (really strong sources eh?) was saying clubs view 60k-absolute max 70k is the sweet spot for being consistently full, having good corporate hospitality etc. 

24 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Aye, I don't recall exactly where but not long after the spurs stadium was finished some podcast with football finances bloke on it (really strong sources eh?) was saying clubs view 60k-absolute max 70k is the sweet spot for being consistently full, having good corporate hospitality etc. 

The club will have a good idea of the demand for tickets from the ballot system. Obviously it isn’t completely accurate as someone unsuccessful in one ballot may apply for the next whereas they wouldn’t if they’d got that ticket but it’s definitely a great dataset to work from.

I think most clubs will try to build their ideal capacity for now but ensure that the stadium is designed with the potential for future development.

65k seems right to me from a commercial viewpoint. Slightly lower supply will induce demand through fear of missing out (FOMO) factors and encourage day trippers to upgrade. As soon as there are gaps people will pick and choose when they come. 

Fuck me, I'm a hard nosed business bitch. 

michael douglas greed GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

• Haha 4

I just hope it's big enough to house everyone that wants a season ticket. I had one for the best part of 10 years, gave it up when money got tight and haven't been able to get near a regular ticket for 3 years now. It will be pretty galling if they spunk £2bil on a new stadium and there are still fans locked out 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I just hope it's big enough to house everyone that wants a season ticket. I had one for the best part of 10 years, gave it up when money got tight and haven't been able to get near a regular ticket for 3 years now. It will be pretty galling if they spunk £2bil on a new stadium and there are still fans locked out 

I wouldn't hold your breath on them making  any significant amount of season tickets available,  no matter whether they go down the expansion or new stadium route..

pretty sure during anfield's latest 8,000 increase in capacity they only released 1,000 to new season ticket holders and they've had a waiting list in operation for donkey's years, think I read that folk who'd been on the list for 20 years still didn't get one.

at the end of the day we've a rumoured 80 to 100 thousand people all paying £37/47 a year for a membership to be in a ballot to buy a ticket which is about £13 more than a 19th of the cheapest season ticket price. each ballot is massively over subscribed.

I'd be astonished if we didn't go down a similar route.

15 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I think "The King" is discovering that there are limits to his powers. 

Kings are notoriously out of touch, tend to be inbred and have a predilection for young boys. Just saying.

Man like Eddie shutting down talk of a move to Leazes park. 

I can’t imagine the club haven’t explored this option. It’s the obvious solution as far as the council is concerned because it keeps SJP in the city centre, meaning the local economy doesn’t lose out from a move to an out-of-town site. And the Saudis don’t have to spend the best part of a billion to tart up sjp while only adding another 8-10k seats.

I appreciate Eddie is trying to report facts, and the people he talked to say there’s been zero contact from the club but I suspect he isn’t as informed as he makes out 

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Man like Eddie shutting down talk of a move to Leazes park. 

I can’t imagine the club haven’t explored this option. It’s the obvious solution as far as the council is concerned because it keeps SJP in the city centre, meaning the local economy doesn’t lose out from a move to an out-of-town site. And the Saudis don’t have to spend the best part of a billion to tart up sjp while only adding another 8-10k seats.

I appreciate Eddie is trying to report facts, and the people he talked to say there’s been zero contact from the club but I suspect he isn’t as informed as he makes out 

Based on absolutely nothing bar common sense and a will to stay where we are I can't believe we won't go down the Leazes park route unless it's absolutely, categorically impossible. If they can have three stands of the new stadium completed and open you could possibly stay at SJP if done right, play at a stadium 3/4s full while SJP is demolished then build the last stand whilst landscaping the remaining footprint of SJP. The infrastructure is already mostly in place for transport etc and thoroughfares through to the RVI etc so think this'll be the option if they can do it.

• Like 2