St James’ Park

Craig

3 hours ago, Renton said:

It's his first day back from holiday you gaffer cunt. 

Aye, holiday ended yesterday, it’ll take 3 yrs just to get the feckin foundations dug at this rate. 
He can kiss goodbye to his Blob unless he gets stuck in. 

IMG_1977.gif.e4a4fa2b84b176dd6b2e92180b7a9bb7.gif

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

I mean, if they can make it work on the existing site, it’s perfect. Hard to see how they create an arena with 60k+ seats and world class facilities though without demolishing most of it and rebuilding most of it again, which raises a load of other questions previously discussed on here 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Get Carol Smilie and PaddockLad in and they'll have it finished before tea time.

I'd add a few hours on for PL trying to tell her how Scottish he is. 

• Haha 6

• 4 months later...

Newcastle United face £1bn bill to redevelop St James’ Park (telegraph.co.uk)

For £1bn I'd want more than tarting up the Milburn and Leazes and adding an extra 8k seats. 

Also, in that article it says that a new stadium would cost £2-£3bn, which doesn't make a whole heap of sense to me when Tottenham's new stadium 'only' cost £1bn. And given that's a massive build, in London, I cannot for a second think that a build in Newcastle would be two or three times more expensive. 

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

I saw Edwards out jogging again in Palmersville on Sunday. You just reminded me. As you were 

With a bottle of Pinot and a rotisserie chicken?

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

For £1bn I'd want more than tarting up the Milburn and Leazes and adding an extra 8k seats. 

Also, in that article it says that a new stadium would cost £2-£3bn, which doesn't make a whole heap of sense to me when Tottenham's new stadium 'only' cost £1bn. And given that's a massive build, in London, I cannot for a second think that a build in Newcastle would be two or three times more expensive. 

You’re not taking in to account that we’ll need a new Trophy Wing…

IMG_2292.gif.52dc922933f17b9a93b439b1c71b179d.gif

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, The Fish said:

It could cost 10 and not really matter, infrastructure costs dont come in to PSR do they? 

Therefore its just the saudis splurging on something they can splurge on.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

It could cost 10 and not really matter, infrastructure costs dont come in to PSR do they? 

Therefore its just the saudis splurging on something they can splurge on.

Well, sure, but even if "money is no object", it really still is an object, isn't it? PIF aren't going to splurge £2bn on a stadium when it's just a money pit, are they? Especially if Spurs just had a brand spanking new 60k stadium, in the heart of London, for half that price.

First off, it's Luke Edwards so likely to be figures developed inside his own head but even if there is a modicum of truth in it, there could be a whole number of factors which mean a new stadium could cost considerably more than what Spurs paid. 

For starters, Spurs had a relatively straight-forward footprint, once they'd cleared out all the local businesses. We've got to give consideration to grade I listed buildings, parkland that no doubt has significant preservation orders in place and underground tunneling to consider. Complexity in construction adds £s very quickly.

Secondly, Spurs had the luxury of being able to move out during the main construction phase. It's almost certain we won't so they'd have to factor in additional complexity in the build process, or the construction / removal of a temporary location if that's the path they take. 

Finally, if PIF are going to fund a brand new stadium you can bet your bottom dollar it'd be the most opulent stadium in the UK by some margin. They certainly wouldn't be scrimping on the price - particularly as Andrew pointed out, it doesn't impact PSR. 

But ..... I go back to the fact this is Luke Edwards, so likely bollocks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

£1bn for the stadium, £2bn to gold plate it. 

Big fuck off prayer cube that comes up through a trap door in the centre circle at half time - Priceless.

• Haha 1

i think they will eventually spunk their billions on a super stadium on leazes park. convert the existing SJP into new city centre parkland and move the listed Victorian terrace/bandstand brick-by-brick if needed. use the oil money to make sure it happens by promising to regenerate the area, bringing new jobs to the region - money talks and the saudis have bucketloads of it. it might take longer than we'd all like to get it past the various levels of bureaucracy but it's the only logical city centre conclusion given we don't have anywhere else to play if they were to decide to redevelop SJP while work was going on - unless they fancy converting Gateshead stadium into a 50k seater venue while they're at it. i just don't see sjp with a facelift as matching their ambitions. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i just don't see sjp with a facelift as matching their ambitions. 

This is it for me. They're not going to tart up SJP, when they could build something new.

• Like 2