Other Games 22/23

1 minute ago, Toonpack said:

You can, if you are ahead of the ball when it is played.

Yeah I was implying that ball is played backwards to you, as in this example.

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

That's absolutely absurd! If the ball is played backwards, you cannot be offside.

It seems nuts but I think you can if when the ball is played the receiver of the ball is in an offside position. Not seen a replay of last night but this may have been the case? ..is Kane offside when the ball is passed/gets a deflection then receives it in an onside position? 

• Like 2

Have the rules changed? I was always taught if the ball is played is played backwards you cannot possibly be offside irrespective of the positioning of defenders in relation to the receiver. 

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It seems nuts but I think you can if when the ball is played the receiver of the ball is in an offside position. Not seen a replay of last night but this may have been the case? ..is Kane offside when the ball is passed/gets a deflection then receives it in an onside position? 

Evidently a deflection doesn't count as it's not an intended act, it's all about when the ball is played it seems.

Not seen this incident but the twat was offside at the weekend, so he can piss off, karma strikes back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

Have the rules changed? I was always taught if the ball is played is played backwards you cannot possibly be offside irrespective of the positioning of defenders in relation to the receiver. 

No change, if you are ahead of the ball when someone crosses it (for example) but run back and play the ball, you are offside at that point. 

Rarely happens as it's a weird series of events.

5 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

If the ball is played backwards and you’re ahead of the ball won’t it go behind you?

Usually yes, but if say crossed from out wide maybe not, yeah you have to move backwards and you remain as considered offside if you then play the ball.

Edited by Toonpack

Hang on, say two players are clear of the defenders and it's just them and the 'keeper, Player A drags the 'keeper wider and then slides it back for his mate to tap into an empty net. Because Player B has 1 defending player between him and the ball, he's in an offside position?

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Hang on, say two players are clear of the defenders and it's just them and the 'keeper, Player A drags the 'keeper wider and then slides it back for his mate to tap into an empty net. Because Player B has 1 defending player between him and the ball, he's in an offside position?

Not necessarily, IF player B is ahead of the ball when player A squares it but moved back and plays the ball, he's offside. If B is level/behind the ball when crossed, he's onside.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

With all that time I honestly think he could’ve picked a better angle 

If he’d turned the camera towards the pitch, or at the floor, or put it in his pocket… all better angles. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2