Other Games 22/23

4 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

I love that thought. How long before EUFA bring us up on a charge for playing Haaland?

I hate the scousers and their "history". Did you know that in 1970 Liverpool were no more successful than City or Spurs (8 major honours each) and guess which was the only club out of those 3 not to have a european trophy. Then along came the littlewoods money to buy them a new team, promotion and trophies. And the Moores family weren't even their first sugar daddy. Worth knowing for when their fans come for you.

We were tied with them in the 74 cup final for trophies won. We'd won six fa cups by the time they won their first in 65 I think it was?

• Like 2

Just now, Howmanheyman said:

We were tied with them in the 74 cup final for trophies won. We'd won six fa cups by the time they won their first in 65 I think it was?

Time moves on and things fluctuate, or should fluctuate. The fluctuation bit is what certain clubs are trying to stop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

What people fail to realise (possibly because i might be wrong) is that back in the day, winning the FA Cup was a bigger prize than the winning the league. Least thats my understanding. The league was bread and butter but the FA Cup was the pinnacle.

In 76 City had won 9 major trophies to (Man) United's 11. Most of their silverware is recent making all this history stuff nonsense as far as liverpool and manure are concerned.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Time moves on and things fluctuate, or should fluctuate. The fluctuation bit is what certain clubs are trying to stop.

Absolutely, only need to look across the water to see which Spanish clubs are a) most in favour of a Superleague to protect the status quo and b) been found guilty of receiving illegal state aid.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I once read/heard that in the early 70s only Villa had more honours than NUFC. I still am far too lazy to check the validity of the claim.

4 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

What people fail to realise (possibly because i might be wrong) is that back in the day, winning the FA Cup was a bigger prize than the winning the league. Least thats my understanding. The league was bread and butter but the FA Cup was the pinnacle.

In 76 City had won 9 major trophies to (Man) United's 11. Most of their silverware is recent making all this history stuff nonsense as far as liverpool and manure are concerned.

Yeah from what I gather the FA Cup was far more prestigious than the league title. Think the shift ties in with the Sky boom.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

If we swapped strikers (wilson for Harland) where would we finish? 

Id probably say second or third. He is that good.

Aye, with City still finishing top and Wilson bagging 30 goals for the season.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

It was mentioned when Roger Hunt died I think as he scored on the final 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

Yeah from what I gather the FA Cup was far more prestigious than the league title. Think the shift ties in with the Sky boom.

Charlie Crowe mentions it. Might've been 50/51. When Newcastle won the cup semi final they had a decent chance of winning the double. But the players were far more bothered about keeping themselves for for the final than the last couple of months of the league season. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Charlie Crowe mentions it. Might've been 50/51. When Newcastle won the cup semi final they had a decent chance of winning the double. But the players were far more bothered about keeping themselves for for the final than the last couple of months of the league season. 

Makes sense from what I've heard from older folk. Even as a kid in the 80s the cup final was a proper event, all day the adults had me excited for it no matter which club it involved. Now I couldn't give a fuck.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

As a kid in 70s you used to look forward to cup final day BBC or IITV both had a full days coverage with various daft/stupid competitions ..........I can still remember my dad pacing round the back garden praying for a Leeds equaliser in the 73 final....followed by a blood curdling scream when the final whistle went. 

Edited by Rosco
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

The cup final was the grand national of football. Shankley was adamant Liverpool should win it thinking it a disgrace they hadn't in their history. Before European football the cup final was basically English football's champions league final. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Rosco said:

As a kid in 70s you used to look forward to cup final day BBC or IITV both had a full days coverage with various daft/stupid competitions ..........I can still remember my dad pacing round the back garden praying for a Leeds equaliser in the 73 final....followed by a blood curdling scream when the final whistle went. 

Hearing PORTERFIELD still gives me shivers and I wasn't even alive when it happened. Think it's more cos if it got played I knew my dad would be a cunt the rest of the day, and he's a frightening man in a strop.

2 minutes ago, Rosco said:

As a kid in 70s you used to look forward to cup final day BBC or IITV both had a full days coverage with various daft/stupid completions..........i can still remember my dad pacing round the back garden praying for a Leeds equaliser in the 73 final....followed by a blood curdling scream when the final whistle went. 

it was still an all day even in 81 when spurs beat us. first match was 1-1 with city scoring a crazy own goal back header over the keeper. the replay was the ricky villa final. he ran round our defenders like statues. but i still think steve mckenzies half volley from 3 miles out was the best goal of the game.

• Like 2

The first cup final I can remember missing ( had a Saturday job at the Benton Hypermarket, as was) was 91 when Gazza did his cruciate. Throughout the 80s it was still a massive deal. Used to often watch it at Heaton Stannington. They used to have a friendly / charity game in at lunchtime. The dusty old club house with curtains drawn would be fucking packed and everybody seemed to taking a massive interest in it. Celebrating the goal(s) of who they wanted to win almost like it was Newcastle playing (which it never was of course). Also it was de rigueur to cheer as though a goal had been scored when someone came back into the room after going for a piss during the match at least once during the afternoon. Just to see them rush back in front of the telly to see who’d scored. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

it was still an all day even in 81 when spurs beat us. first match was 1-1 with city scoring a crazy own goal back header over the keeper. the replay was the ricky villa final. he ran round our defenders like statues. but i still think steve mckenzies half volley from 3 miles out was the best goal of the game.

I distinctly remember my dear West Gortion born mother making that precise point on the evening of that game :lol:

I should’ve been a City fan really,  the old man was from rural SE Scotland and loved football, but didn’t even as much as take me to Berwick Rangers, where he’d known some of the players in the 50s/60s…he let me find my own way to SJP 🙏🏻

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I distinctly remember my dear West Gortion born mother making that precise point on the evening of that game :lol:

I should’ve been a City fan really,  the old man was from rural SE Scotland and loved football, but didn’t even as much as take me to Berwick Rangers, where he’d known done of the players in the 50s/60s…he let me find my own way to SJP 🙏🏻

it's not too late for you 😏

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Alex said:

The first cup final I can remember missing ( had a Saturday job at the Benton Hypermarket, as was) was 91 when Gazza did his cruciate. Throughout the 80s it was still a massive deal. Used to often watch it at Heaton Stannington. They used to have a friendly / charity game in at lunchtime. The dusty old club house with curtains drawn would be fucking packed and everybody seemed to taking a massive interest in it. Celebrating the goal(s) of who they wanted to win almost like it was Newcastle playing (which it never was of course). Also it was de rigueur to cheer as though a goal had been scored when someone came back into the room after going for a piss during the match at least once during the afternoon. Just to see them rush back in front of the telly to see who’d scored. 

Aye my first memory of cup finals was 87 and I remember my dad had decided Spurs would be the Toon for the day. He celebrated Clive Allen's header like we had scored.

3 minutes ago, LondonBlue said:

He's not scored for 44 hours now. His goals per minute at the club ratio is plummeting.

You should loan him out to us for some rehabilitation.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Never realised how close they came. Were heading the table for a good few weeks and finished 4th, 11 points adrift of Spurs. 

Newcastle United - 1950/51 Season (nufc-history.co.uk)

• Like 2