2024/25 - Generic NUFC Chat. Cunts ☑️

wykikitoon

22 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

1000008634.thumb.jpg.8ab1de92d5c4e01cc9580e6a4b8aa72c.jpg

"This next one is dedicated to two good friends and colleagues of mine going through a difficult patch at the minute.....

🎵

How can we be lovers, if we can't be friends?

How can we start over when the fighting never ends?

Baby, how can we make love, if we can't make amends?

How can we be lovers, if we can't be, can't be friends?

🎶

You just know he's more a Chris De Burgh fan or loves to get the ladies up with Islands In The Stream.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, sammynb said:

Most DOF want their own man/person in the head coach role. Mitchell would be no different and once the rumours of Howe to the England job, you can bet he was relishing getting in "his" guy.

EH probably knows he's pissed on Mitchell's chips - just look at Mitchell's face everytime the camera cut to him against Wolves.

If he came in with the belief that this was possible he doesn't even have a grasp of understanding of the club. In reality I don't think he would have harboured any desire to instate his own manager, he doesn't have a track record for it. IMO it's far more important to a DOF that they have autonomy and aren't puppets for the owners. That's what soured him on Tottenham; Levy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OTF said:

If he came in with the belief that this was possible he doesn't even have a grasp of understanding of the club. In reality I don't think he would have harboured any desire to instate his own manager, he doesn't have a track record for it. IMO it's far more important to a DOF that they have autonomy and aren't puppets for the owners. That's what soured him on Tottenham; Levy.

Fair call, still looks a dour cunt.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OTF said:

Nailed it. Mitchell deflected from a disappointing window under his watch. A more mature response would have been to admit that it had been a frustrating window but that we were not going to make signings for the sake of it. Effectively what Howe himself said. Or he could have noted that we would have more of a focus on bringing in and nurturing young talent. To have criticised previous signings really hits a sour note when we've honestly had a fantastic success rate with signings since Howe's arrival before Mitchell.

Trippier,

Burn,

Guimaraes,

Pope,

Isak,

Tonali,

Gordon,

Barnes,

Botman,

Livramento, 

Hall,

Wood,

Minteh,

Ashby,

Kuol,

Targett,

Karius

Overall that's a phenomenal hit rate. Targett has been disappointing due his injuries, though in his first season here he was an integral member of the side that helped us escape what seemed like an inevitable relegation. Wood we overpaid for, but it was a necessary signing to inject something different into our side. Plus we also managed to sell him for a good price. Ashby hasn't kicked on, but he was a young player with promise. Kuol has done nothing to suggest he will develop into a quality player. We got stitched up by AC Milan with Tonali, but now that he's served his time he's shaping to be a great player for us and he's only 24.

Except he didn't criticise previous signings. 

50 minutes ago, sammynb said:

In truth I reckon he's just one of those dour cunts who thinks he's the man. Didn't smile after we scored though did he?

Sack all three and bring back Penfold/Bruce/Mclaren/Pardew - those were the days.

Our only ever Premier League Manager of the Season

Screenshot_20240917_205708_Chrome.thumb.jpg.46aa86379a1c678da696fa606f80ca07.jpg

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Except he didn't criticise previous signings. 

Mate, he plainly said that our transfers were not fit for purpose. If that's not criticising our signings what is it? There can't be any accountability for myriad of players from the Ashley era that have hung around, setting those aside our transfers have a fantastic hit rate. He's suggesting that we need to be signing more youth players that we can develop, but there's many factors in why we can't immediately do that. Firstly we're playing catch up with our training facilities and youth setup, again part of Ashley's legacy. Unfortunately something like that doesn't change overnight.

We don't want to sell any of the players we've bought under our new ownership except Targett who has been long term injured (otherwise he would have been sold), Ashby (who was a low cost signing for a young player) and Kuol (again peanuts paid for him and he's just turned 20). Trippier we seemingly may have sold but that was more relating to his personal life than to his ability as a player and his value as a senior team member.

Mitchell even says he'll know whether he's done a good job in 5 years time....we were bought LESS THAN THREE years ago and he's judging that time... In that 2.5 years we have bought many players that have since increased in price: Guimaraes, Isak, Botman, Gordon. Tonali, Livramento and Barnes likely to also be amongst those. Hall is on the trajectory to be also. The eldest amonst them are Bruno and Barnes at 26 years old. The rest are under 25. The older players that were bought have been fantastic value (Trippier and Burn). Or did a job and were moved on for a good price (Wood). I don't think you can really criticise with any authority the overall transfer performance. If more focus was given to signing even younger players from a wider scouting pool we would not have had the same success on the pitch, our signings dragged us out of a seemingly certain relegation and took us into the champions league. They vastly increased our overall quality and first 11. On the back of these 'not fit for purpose' transfers we were still in a position to offer £65m+ for a single defender (who fits with the profile of our signings over the last 2.5 years anyway). To say that it has not been fit for purpose is out of order and incorrect.

He goes on to blame Howe for not having an interest in other identified targets, insinuating that Howe's influence on transfers was high, and then compares us to super clubs (like Ashley did), before contradicting some typical Howe tight lipped media comments. He's got a lot of ground to make up in the next few windows.

'Is it fit for purpose? Not last winter gone, the winter before that. Is it fit for purpose in the modern game? Because other clubs that have adopted a different approach over time, with more intelligence, more data-informed than we are, actually prospered in this window. That's where we have to grow to be now.

'You look at the money we have invested up to this point, £250 million net over the last two-and-a-half years. Was our model in place to be able to spend more to the levels we would have liked to enhance the team? I don't think it was, because we haven't sold a player during that time, barring what we were forced to do through PSR. 

'We didn't have the sales window we thought we would have – and we have to look at that strategy as well, was that right? It was all aligned with the head coach. There definitely has to be a more strategic approach that we haven't had the last two-and-a-half years. I'll know whether we've done a good job in five years' time.'

Mitchell did not refer to Guehi by name, but said that Howe did not want to pursue other targets. 'We had a player as the key, core target,' he said. 'We were still in dialogue (with Palace) all the way through, but Eddie was very clear, and it's not up to me after seven weeks to say, "We'll do this and that", because I'm in a supporting role.

'There were (other) targets. Could there have been more? I would say potentially. But Eddie was very clear that he had to feel comfortable that the person added value, because we have really good players. That's why we ended up where we did.

'And he's smart, he was engaged in all the conversations about PSR, spend, cost, cash-flow, he's a smart head coach that has the capacity to be kept updated on those conversations. And that was the decision he took - it was that player, or he felt that he was comfortable with the quality. 

Mitchell also says it was important the club were not held to ransom on a player.

'It's about setting precedents to the market that we will pay fair value for the right profile,' he said. 'It shouldn't be misconceived as a lack of ambition. If we just spend, spend, spend once again, we become accountable to that by fines and points deductions, and that isn't good leadership, you're being negligent. We've got great players signed by great investment from this ownership, and you can sometimes 

'That goes for scouting as well. I think good players are becoming harder to find because scouting is so competitive. 

'But I think Eddie recognises good players and he also recognises this club is evolving to be bigger, and bigger and bigger. If you look at the super clubs, their infrastructure, their recruitment, they don't just look at one market only.

'They have a wider scouting and recruitment network. I think Eddie is smart enough to understand - and he definitely is - that to go to the next level that you do have to diversify. Otherwise, you just stay local and retire. I think our ambition is much greater than that.' 

'Eddie has shown an ability to evolve over time . Coming to Newcastle posed different challenges to Bournemouth. Eddie is very smart and I think he knows there 

'Every coach I've worked with, in the end, just wants good players. That's a simplistic view. But I think Eddie just wants good players. I think it's a collective responsibility between me and him, to understand there are other areas we can look at to bring those good players to his team to be coached by him.' 

Meanwhile, Mitchell insists that Howe was kept up to speed on developments this summer, after the head coach repeatedly said he was not in the loop on everything that was going on.

'Contrary to opinion, we speak every night more or less, and every day a minimum of once, on all different topics,' he said. 'I think this idea that me and Eddie haven't spoken all the way through the transfer window is false. All the way right up to the last minutes, he is fully updated and involved. 

'We speak literally an hour a night. If we aren't able to physically communicate, we'll use WhatsApp. My idea, rightly or wrongly, was to over communicate. My wife doesn't get that! I felt that was necessary at this stage of the relationship. He was kept very updated on the transfer window.'

52 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

His guy is Poch and that ship has sailed now. So Mitchell either has to make do or fuck off - Or sack Howe and come up with a canny explanation to placate the masses.

I think he was Poch's man rather than the other way.

Howe retaliate by making a V around his mouth and wagging his tongue up and down - the universal signal for fanny licking. But it devolved into farce cos Mitchell thinks he means him and is mouthing back "I DON'T HAVE A FANNY" and Howe is mouthing "NOT YOU! YOUR WIFE! IT'S YOUR WIFE'S FANNY I'M GONNA.." and then he does the fanny licking sign again. 

They just need to get in a room and sort it out. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, OTF said:

Nailed it. Mitchell deflected from a disappointing window under his watch. A more mature response would have been to admit that it had been a frustrating window but that we were not going to make signings for the sake of it. Effectively what Howe himself said. Or he could have noted that we would have more of a focus on bringing in and nurturing young talent. To have criticised previous signings really hits a sour note when we've honestly had a fantastic success rate with signings since Howe's arrival before Mitchell.

Trippier,

Burn,

Guimaraes,

Pope,

Isak,

Tonali,

Gordon,

Barnes,

Botman,

Livramento, 

Hall,

Wood,

Minteh,

Ashby,

Kuol,

Targett,

Karius

Overall that's a phenomenal hit rate. Targett has been disappointing due his injuries, though in his first season here he was an integral member of the side that helped us escape what seemed like an inevitable relegation. Wood we overpaid for, but it was a necessary signing to inject something different into our side. Plus we also managed to sell him for a good price. Ashby hasn't kicked on, but he was a young player with promise. Kuol has done nothing to suggest he will develop into a quality player. We got stitched up by AC Milan with Tonali, but now that he's served his time he's shaping to be a great player for us and he's only 24.

i would say the opposite to what mitchell declared - it was fit for purpose. the recruitment of an ambitious and progressive young manager and some astute signings turbo-charged us to champions league qualification years ahead of schedule and facilitated even more exciting signings - few of which we paid over the odds for or whom have looked out of place. 

the words mitchell offered up, without any explanation to exactly what or who he was getting at, smacked of self-preservation and understandably provoked a response from howe and the ensuing, unnecessary drama.  yes, he is right to acknowledge that we are constrained by psr and might have to be more cautious if we fail again to pull in the champions league riches, but the way he put it was naive at best and if you're going to be more cynical it was provocative. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

He said the STRATEGY wasn't fit for purpose ffs. He's not talking about individual signings. 

A week from now you lot will have Chinese whispered yourselves into thinking he called Isak a cunt. 

Be specific, which STRATEGY wasn't fit for purpose? We primarily bought young high quality players who have increased in value. He's talking about doing similar but from a wider talent pool? He's talking about measuing his success in 5 years. He's taking veiled shots at Howe for this not being a successful window. He should not have mentioned Howe at all.

Let's not forget that the purpose of signing players is to improve the team and ultimately results. Look at our record under Howe, we're the fourth highest ranked team in the league, the three above us spend VASTLY more on wages and have VASTLY larger budgets. The three teams below us also spent more by some distance. They can offer higher wages to players, can spend more on scouting and have better academy resources. Yet we're outperforming them in the single most important metric, results on the pitch. So again, please be specific about which transfer strategy is not fit for purpose?

5 minutes ago, OTF said:

Be specific, which STRATEGY wasn't fit for purpose? We primarily bought young high quality players who have increased in value. He's talking about doing similar but from a wider talent pool? He's talking about measuing his success in 5 years. He's taking veiled shots at Howe for this not being a successful window. He should not have mentioned Howe at all.

Let's not forget that the purpose of signing players is to improve the team and ultimately results. Look at our record under Howe, we're the fourth highest ranked team in the league, the three above us spend VASTLY more on wages and have VASTLY larger budgets. The three teams below us also spent more by some distance. They can offer higher wages to players, can spend more on scouting and have better academy resources. Yet we're outperforming them in the single most important metric, results on the pitch. So again, please be specific about which transfer strategy is not fit for purpose?

Buying established players for big money and in so doing building a big PSR problem, and having no players to recoup the PSR hole we've dug for ourselves. 

I've posted umpteen times about this today. No offence but I'm not getting into it all again, but it shouldn't take me explaining the strategy to understand that he isn't slagging off the signings that we've made. 

He just isn't. That would he absolutely fucking ludicrous for a new DoF to come in and say you've signed a load of fucking shite her lads, haven't you? It would be a resignation letter. 

Btw we had people on here absolutely insisting that someone at the club must have fucked up for us to have got ourselves into that June 30 position. Some of the same people are clutching their pearls when the new DoF turns up and goes "well we can't keep doing that, can we?" 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Buying established players for big money and in so doing building a big PSR problem, and having no players to recoup the PSR hole we've dug for ourselves. 

I've posted umpteen times about this today. No offence but I'm not getting into it all again, but it shouldn't take me explaining the strategy to understand that he isn't slagging off the signings that we've made. 

He just isn't. That would he absolutely fucking ludicrous for a new DoF to come in and say you've signed a load of fucking shite her lads, haven't you? It would be a resignation letter. 

Btw we had people on here absolutely insisting that someone at the club must have fucked up for us to have got ourselves into that June 30 position. Some of the same people are clutching their pearls when the new DoF turns up and goes "well we can't keep doing that, can we?" 

We flew a bit close to the sun and came close to having a PSR problem. We begrudgingly sold two players who weren't likely to get a lot of time on the pitch this season and we don't have a potential PSR problem anymore. We do have many players who we could sell for a profit, but we don't want to. In fact it's mostly financially irresponsible to, because they still have years to run and we won't make the most of their transfer fees if we don't spread it across more seasons. So the signings from the last two and half years of successful transfer windows have increased in value AND have brought us results on the pitch. Fit for purpose. It's the years prior to that that were not fit for purpose. Mitchell could have rightfully talked about those impacting our window (through lack of sales) but he didn't. Instead what he said was demonstrably wrong.

And don't worry, no offense taken. That's as close to admitting that you're wrong as you're capable of. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, OTF said:

We flew a bit close to the sun and came close to having a PSR problem. We begrudgingly sold two players who weren't likely to get a lot of time on the pitch this season and we don't have a potential PSR problem anymore. We do have many players who we could sell for a profit, but we don't want to. In fact it's mostly financially irresponsible to, because they still have years to run and we won't make the most of their transfer fees if we don't spread it across more seasons. So the signings from the last two and half years of successful transfer windows have increased in value AND have brought us results on the pitch. Fit for purpose. It's the years prior to that that were not fit for purpose. Mitchell could have rightfully talked about those impacting our window (through lack of sales) but he didn't. Instead what he said was demonstrably wrong.

And don't worry, no offense taken. That's as close to admitting that you're wrong as you're capable of. Thanks.

So PSR is fixed for good and we can just go on splashing the cash and not having to worry about player sales then?

No, it's not is it. So that strategy isn't fit for purpose, correct? Which is what Mitchell was telling us all. 

Now all of you divs that don't understand this PLEASE FUCK OFF BECAUSE I'M NOT EXPLAINING IT AGAIN. 

Continue thinking that the new DoF was slagging off our current playing squad if you so please. I am DONE trying to guide you through this difficult phase in your lives. 

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

someone clearly did fuck up, and Mitchell did his best to set the narrative that none of it was his fault

It’s a dick move to be dropping in public on your new colleague. I have no idea who is to blame for the summer window but it’s pretty clear where Mitchell thinks the blame lies. 

tbh, even if what he is saying is correct, he couldn’t have gone about it in in a more clumsy way. I’m bored of this debate too but Mitchell is the reason these conversations haven’t gone away. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

someone clearly did fuck up, and Mitchell did his best to set the narrative that none of it was his fault

It’s a dick move to be dropping in public on your new colleague. I have no idea who is to blame for the summer window but it’s pretty clear where Mitchell thinks the blame lies. 

tbh, even if what he is saying is correct, he couldn’t have gone about it in in a more clumsy way. I’m bored of this debate too but Mitchell is the reason these conversations haven’t gone away. 

UNSUBSCRIBE

• Haha 2

I hope all involved (Mitchell, Eales and Howe) learn from this. We haven’t been a club that has aired its dirty laundry in public since the takeover. Let’s go back to keeping the politics in house 

• Like 3