2024/25 - Generic NUFC Chat. Cunts ☑️

wykikitoon

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

None, brought up better than that!

The children of South Tynesdie can sleep safe tonight.

'As long as I'm happy in the position that I'm in, as long as I feel supported by the football club and free to work in the way that I want to work, yes,' said Howe. 'For me, that's always been my key driver - my happiness and my ability to do my job.’

'I absolutely want to stay but it has to be right for me and the football club. There's absolutely no point in me saying I'm happy staying at Newcastle if the dynamic isn't right. I'm certainly not serving Newcastle well if I do that.

'As a new team coming together (off the pitch) we have to set our boundaries. We have to see if we can work together in a really fluid, dynamic way to the benefit of Newcastle.'

'There has been a lot of change at the football club this summer,' he said. 'It has been a very difficult summer for everyone connected with the club. With change comes always a new feeling.

'You can point to PSR, Amanda (Staveley) and Mehrdad (Ghodoussi) leaving, a change in sporting director which, of course, influences me. These are all big changes.

'I don't think I have the right to challenge those or the want to challenge those decisions. The club has to choose its direction and that ability is their right. 

'I've got no issue with that. But obviously I have to be happy in my work. I have to feel that this is something that can benefit me and the football club for it to work. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

'It's not about me as the manager. I'm slightly irrelevant. It's about making sure Newcastle United is as strong as it can be for the next season and beyond. We've all got to come together and make sure we are the force that we want to be.'

He added: 'I have been really happy for two-and-a-half years. I have loved every second of the relationships that I've had and the way I've been able to work. I think that has brought success.

'We're in the flux of change, it's just happened. I can't say with a definitive answer where that will lead. I hope it leads to everything that I've just said. That could easily be the case, but it needs to be that way for Newcastle, not so much for me. The club is always the most important thing.'

Edited by ewerk

He was choosing his words very carefully when talking about Anderson going. Clearly not happy about it. Talked about the effort that has been put into developing the player only to then have to sell him to meet PSR. 

Yeah that's not super reassuring but at the same time it feels more like he has some manner of demands on the table for the club to meet rather than he is about to leave? So maybe they need to align on imminent strategy before he can make a decision. It also feels tbf like if they can't do that, he'd be off whether England approached him or not.

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/everything-eddie-howe-said-about-his-newcastle-united-future-in-4709869

Loads of quotes in here. 

My summary: he's staying for now but he's not entirely happy with everything at the minute and he's firing a warning shot across the boughs of those on charge. He wants clarity on some things, and he doesn't currently feel he's getting it. 

Definitely not a completely happy camper atm. 

I don't mind him expressing anger at the Anderson  sale but he seemed to be blaming the club rather than the rules. 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/everything-eddie-howe-said-about-his-newcastle-united-future-in-4709869

Loads of quotes in here. 

My summary: he's staying for now but he's not entirely happy with everything at the minute and he's firing a warning shot across the boughs of those on charge. He wants clarity on some things, and he doesn't currently feel he's getting it. 

That was my take. It would be unfortunate if the England job provides an easy way out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Sounds fairly consistent with his usual crack to me like. Pissed off with PSR but everything else seems pretty normal

I would read that article I've posted if you haven't. There's something not right. I think it's the change of personnel and it not yet being clear how they'll all work together. 

When someone asks "are you unsettled?" and the answer is "I'm not sure if unsettled is the right word really", there's something going on. 

This is as close as he comes to saying what it is, I think. 

Screenshot_20240719-165258.png.39c9c72bdfde0a39397a4db2bf871984.png

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I would read that article I've posted if you haven't. There's something not right. I think it's the change of personnel and it not yet being clear how they'll all work together. 

When someone asks "are you unsettled?" and the answer is "I'm not sure if unsettled is the right word really", there's something going on. 

This is as close as he comes to saying what it is, I think. 

Screenshot_20240719-165258.png.39c9c72bdfde0a39397a4db2bf871984.png

Seems like he just wants some clarity which I presume he’ll get in deeper conversations with Mitchell? Seems strange to ignore the bits where he says he wants to here for many, many years 

• Like 1

Not what I was expecting. Hopefully it can be resolved to everyone's benefit and it just turns out to be a minor blip. 

Again, this is a good thing if it plays out well. You want managers who aren't just yes men, and who demand things from the club. 

I think those in charge will have made a big mistake if the end result is him leaving. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Seems like he just wants some clarity which I presume he’ll get in deeper conversations with Mitchell? Seems strange to ignore the bits where he says he wants to here for many, many years 

Not really, because that's just the sort of stuff people always say. The more instructive part is the fact that he's making it very clear that he's not currently entirely happy. He's saying I'm happy to stay here IF we sort out the stuff that is currently bothering me. 

We've no idea of the size of that if. Hopefully it is just a conversation with Mitchell, but if all it was was that he hasn't had a chance to talk to Mitchell, I don't think he would be hinting that he's unsettled. 

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Bit of a power play to make sure he gets that clarity but I must be reading into things very differently than others are 

Obviously hope you're right. I just was a bit blindsided reading those quotes cos i was expecting him to play a straight bat on England, but otherwise be happy. Instead he's basically nixed the England thing but hinted at other potential problems. 

We'll see anyway. Hopefully it all blows over and he's doing a press conference in a weeks time saying that he now has the clarity he needs and it's all systems go. 

24 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Loads of quotes in here. 

He's not happy, and that's disappointing. But on the other hand, how many managers get final say in who the incoming sporting director is, or how we balance the books. He'd have been more unhappy if we had started the season on -10pts

• Like 2

Well who knew CT was right all along.

I too feel this is a bit unexpected, I thought he'd be a little awkward about Stavely leaving suddenly and what happened with PSR but on the whole expected that the club would have had him on board with the changes and clearly communicated what the structure and plan now is. It seems maybe at the moment we may not be running as smoothly as I thought we were, or maybe Howe is just unhappy with the changes.

Also doesnt align with what Mitchell said yesterday about his relationship with Howe, from that you'd think he'd be happy given he was supposed to be on frosty terms with Ashworth. 

Changes of this level can be painful, for any organisation, so maybe we shouldnt read too much into it at the moment; perhaps the club will sort it out in a few weeks. But yeah, at the moment something clearly doen't seem right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He's not happy, and that's disappointing. But on the other hand, how many managers get final say in who the incoming sporting director is, or how we balance the books. He'd have been more unhappy if we had started the season on -10pts

This is also a good point. I love Howe so I'm inclined to be on his side, but I don't really know what his motivations are here, and if he's in a huff because the sporting director isn't who he wanted or whatever, he kind of needs to pipe down cos that isn't how it works. 

We'll see. Let's hope it's all happy families in a week or two. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

This is also a good point. I love Howe so I'm inclined to be on his side, but I don't really know what his motivations are here, and if he's in a huff because the sporting director isn't who he wanted or whatever, he kind of needs to pipe down cos that isn't how it works. 

We'll see. Let's hope it's all happy families in a week or two. 

I wonder if Staveley left against her wishes and it's unnerved Howe a little as she was a big ally 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I wonder if Staveley left against her wishes and it's unnerved Howe a little as she was a big ally 

I wondered the same. 

54 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sounds like he is going from that. 

Yep, the opening bit.:

Keep me happy. make sure I still have freedom and control, I’ll stay.

He’s off like