World Cup 2022

40 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Howe will be next England manager whether Southgate walks now or in a couple of years’ time.

The FA may well be run by a bunch of arseholes but howay it does not take a genius to spot that they would want the obvious best of the bunch

What gives you any indication that he’d want the job right now?

I think Howe would only take the job once he’s achieved his ambitions as a club manager. It would almost be like retirement taking it now.

Give it Brucey. I believe he's currently available…

• Haha 4

Southgate is a dull bastard playing boring football fuck knows why anybody would give him a decent job in premiership......people got hyped up after beating Iran but lets face it we were shite against USA beat a welsh pub team and an average Senagal team first, tough game we got beat. Pickford should have saved first goal, Kane was average and should be shot for missing penalty, but i dont give a fuck really lets get back to the important stuff that is all things NUFC ending the season on a high and sign Maddison

Edited by Rosco

I think Southgate will stay despite the flack he has received over the last year or so, because, as has been said, he is England through and through and knows that if he goes there is no one to take over now.  

Also, don't think Eddie would be interested now.

Stevie G is available, though

steven gerrard GIF

Edited by RobinRobin

10 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

With Bruce's wealth of experience it should be a no brainer him getting it. 

It's hard to believe but he was interviewed for the job just before they gave it to Allardyce.

The FA also wanted to interview a plucky, young and upcoming manager named Eddie Howe but he refused the interview because he was loyal to his club.

• Like 3

Dougle making a strong case for Bed Wetter in Chief. The Grand High Poobah of Bed-Wetterstan

No chance of Howe taking the England job  any time soon, man. 

A. Howe's at the beginning of a project and he's clearly enjoying it.

B. That project is backed by huge funds, so Eddie's got a real chance of creating a legacy, as he did at Bournemouth.

C. The ambitions of the owners are boundless, so managerial and club honours are a real possibility.

D. Howe's spoken warmly and often about working daily with players, developing them over time. Something he can't do with an international side.

E. Howe's preferred style requires regular drilling, the kind of high intensity, highly intelligent pressing cannot be achieved without almost constant maintenance.

klopp and pep would be good appointments. both successful managers, both know the english game and players. both play attractive, front foot football.

does it have to be another englishman? i don't think so if the right foreign coach could be tempted to take the job.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Dougle making a strong case for Bed Wetter in Chief. The Grand High Poobah of Bed-Wetterstan

No chance of Howe taking the England job  any time soon, man. 

A. Howe's at the beginning of a project and he's clearly enjoying it.

B. That project is backed by huge funds, so Eddie's got a real chance of creating a legacy, as he did at Bournemouth.

C. The ambitions of the owners are boundless, so managerial and club honours are a real possibility.

D. Howe's spoken warmly and often about working daily with players, developing them over time. Something he can't do with an international side.

E. Howe's preferred style requires regular drilling, the kind of high intensity, highly intelligent pressing cannot be achieved without almost constant maintenance.

F. southgate hasn't even resigned yet. and if we win the euros, maybe he'll fancy a final crack at the following world cup

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

klopp and pep would be good appointments. both successful managers, both know the english game and players. both play attractive, front foot football.

does it have to be another englishman? i don't think so if the right foreign coach could be tempted to take the job.

:lol: I think there's more chance of us appointing Pep with Klopp as his assistant than England of getting either of them.

Edited by ewerk
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

:lol: I think there's no chance of us appointing Pep with Klopp as his assistant than England of getting either of them.

why not? both have been in their jobs for ages, both have won pretty much everything there is to win at club level.

is international management no longer box to tick in the career of the best managers if the price is right? 

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Apparently Brazil want Pep

I heard again on the wireless this morning that Southgate has more wins in knockout football in the last 48 years than the others combined.  

So I had a check.  To keep things consistent I didnt include the Nations League.  Not that it would make a difference as we've been wank in it.

Southgate
2018 World Cup - 2 Wins - Knocked out by Croatia in the Semi's (32 Teams)
2020 Europeans - 3 Wins - Beaten in Final by Italians (24 Teams)

2022 World Cup - 1 Win - Knocked out by France in the Quarters (32 Teams)

Total - 6 Wins in knockout games.

Hodgson
2012 Europeans - Knocked out at first knockout (quarters) by Italy (16 Teams)
2014 World Cup - Failed at group stage (32 Teams)
2016 Europeans - Knocked out at first knockout by Iceland (24 Teams)

Total - 0 Wins in knockout games (Others wins 0 v 6)

Capello

2010 Europeans - Knocked out at first knockout by Iceland (24 Teams)

Total - 0 Wins in knockout games (0 v 6)

Sven

2002 World Cup - 1 Win - Knocked out by Brazil in the Quarters (32 Teams)

2004 Europeans - Knocked out at first knockout (quarters) by Portugal (16 Teams)
2006 World Cup - 1 Win - Knocked out by Portugal in the Quarters (32 Teams)

Total - 2 wins in knockout games (2 v 6)

Keegan
2000 Europeans - Failed in group (16 Teams)

Total - 0 wins in knockout games (2 v 6)

Hoddle
1998 World Cup - Knocked out at first knockout by Argies (32 Teams)

Total - 0 Wins in knockout games (2 v 6)

Venebles

1996 Europeans - 1 Win - Knocked out by Germany in the Semis (16 Teams)

Total - 1 Wins in knockout Games (3 v 6)

Taylor
1992 Europeans - Failed in group (8 Teams)

Total - 2 Wins in knockout Games (4 v 6)

Robson

1986 World Cup - 1 Win - Knocked out in Quarters by Cheating Argie Cunts (24 Teams)
1988 Europeans - Failed in group (8 teams)

1990 World Cup - 2 Wins - Knocked out in by Germany in the Semis (24 Teams)

Total 3 Wins in knockout Games (6 v 6)

Greenwood
1980 Europeans - Failed in group (8 teams)
1982 World Cup - Failed in group (24 Teams)

Total 0 Wins in Knockout Games (6 v 6)

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

No, it's definitely no longer the pinnacle of a management career. As someone pointed out earlier, take a look at the managers at the WC, they aren't exactly the creme de le creme.

yeah maybe not, but if you've won multiple titles, winning a world cup or euros is still a nice addition to the cv

7 minutes ago, ewerk said:

No, it's definitely no longer the pinnacle of a management career. As someone pointed out earlier, take a look at the managers at the WC, they aren't exactly the creme de le creme.

Indeed.  It's a semi-retirement job for good coaches.

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i still find it hard to believe that sam fucking allardyce was the best the fa could muster before they stumbled upon southgate 

I don't think it's surprising at all that Allardyce was seen as a good choice at the time, considering who was making the decision.