World Cup 2022

For Southgate? Potentially but I cannot see it happening. He's just joined Chelsea - buying him out of his contract would put the FA off. If he was still at Brighton I can definitely see it happening. 

I think if he does go they'll likely come for Howe and I genuinely cannot rationalise whether he'd go for it or not. Taking the NUFC bias out of it, Howe would certainly be the most suited to taking England to the next level. If they failed with Howe I expect it'd go to someone overseas - Pochettino perhaps.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Craig said:

No I wouldn't. But I don't think he'd walk to join a PL club, I think he'd walk because he's had enough. The comments he's made about what happened at Wolves (presumably the Nations League draw against Italy) definitely suggests he's considering walking.

I agree with you about the subs but perversely I think that's a product of him being over-cautious. I think he sticks with plan A too long under the concern that he changes it and it goes wrong then he's fucked up - ultimately meaning he brings them on too late. 

One thing that he has in absolute spades is deep and heartfelt passion for the role. He is England through and through - probably more so than any other England manager in my lifetime and the desire for him to succeed stems I feel from him wanting his national team to succeed, irrespective of who's managing. By contrast the likes of Eriksson & Capello were there for the paycheck whilst McClaren & Allardyce saw it as something to have on their CV. Southgate was involved in the FA setup long before he became head coach of the England team. The likes of Sancho, Bellingham, etc have become household names in this country largely because of him.

i agree. he will be very hard to replace 

They will go for Howe.

And he will take it.

With the club’s (public) blessing.*

Unless he rules himself out pre  Southgate quitting

*See keeping the fat cabbage faced cunt for his 1000th game.

Edited by Dougle

Howe to England is a non-starter for me. His success has centred around working with players day-to-day, he lives for it and he's doing it at the most exciting project in world football.

The England job will have its time, probably when he's too fucked to be up at dawn and running about the training pitch and he'll be aware of this. It's not ganna happen any time soon.

The fact that none of the top PL clubs would even consider appointing Southgate tells you all you need to know about how seriously international management is taken. 

No way Howe is gonna walk away from club football for that. 

You daft worrying fannies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Basically what Gemmill said- the England job isn’t the pinnacle of management anymore. 

I’ve no doubt that at some point in the future Eddie will go for it, he’s already stated his patriotism and whatever, but he’s got unfinished business here to do first. 

He’s just not a quitter , (unlike Hippoheed when he left skid marks in the turf at the SoS when Engerland came calling, albeit briefly :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The fact that none of the top PL clubs would even consider appointing Southgate tells you all you need to know about how seriously international management is taken. 

No way Howe is gonna walk away from club football for that. 

You daft worrying fannies. 

This tbh, look across all International jobs and it’s not exactly a who’s who of top managers. You have Southgate, Martinez, Luis Enrique, Dechamps, LVG, Flick, and Fernando Santos in charge of some of the top European sides at the World Cup, I wouldn’t really put any of them in contention for top jobs these days bar maybe Flick (admittedly not sure how his time at Bayern was other than they won a decent amount). Even a side like Brazil has a journeyman like Tite, then Argentina have Scaloni who seems to be a product of the Argentina set up in a similar fashion to Southgate being from the England set up. 

Howe is a hands on manager, I don’t see him taking a job like that at this stage in his career. If it goes tits up he’s lost all the praise he’s built up on the back of the Bournemouth and Newcastle jobs in the eyes of football anyway. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Howe won't take the job. If it even gets offered, the whole point in this England set up is that they promote from within. 

If Lee Carsley is next in line for the England job then I can understand why they’re desperate to keep Southgate.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I can see Southgate letting the dust settle and choosing to see the contract out after the Euros. The FA will probably encourage him down that path so they don’t have to make any decision either 

A problem they have is that there are only really three proper managers in the PL right now who are english excluding Gary O'Neil who just got made permanent bournemouth manager for his first job.

You have Lampard, Howe and Potter.

Howe and Potter are, frankly, too good and doing too well to be considered for the job right now, which just leaves Lampard.

Kicking the can down the road for another 18 months makes a lot of sense really

• Like 4

The FA headhunted Sam Allardyce last time round then gave Southgate a chance by default. That was after Roy fucking Hodgson. When was the last time a top manager at their peak got the job? Even Capello was a busted flush. 

• Like 3

Howe will be next England manager whether Southgate walks now or in a couple of years’ time.

The FA may well be run by a bunch of arseholes but howay it does not take a genius to spot that they would want the obvious best of the bunch

3 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Howe will be next England manager whether Southgate walks now or in a couple of years’ time.

The FA may well be run by a bunch of arseholes but howay it does not take a genius to spot that they would want the obvious best of the bunch

I don’t anyone is suggesting the FA wouldn’t want him.  

He will take it after he's won everything with us and is bored but his heart couldn't possibly take moving to another club. That's when England finally win a major tournament again. Real Madrid after that before he retires.