World Cup 2022

41 minutes ago, Renton said:

He'll have access to an EU passport and possible retirement in the South of France. Sounds okay to me tbh. 

I have access to an EU passport and no need to hang out with the French.

Edited by OTF

In the cold light of day we are a joke.

We have got used to thinking of success as not winning a tournament when by the law of averages we really should have in the last 56 years.

We beat Iran, Wales and Senegal and drew with the USA. It’s crap to think of that as something to be proud of.

Success is about finding a way to win. It can be pretty or it can be dirty but we just don’t have it when it matters.

France will win this and if they do it will be their fourth major trophy in just over 20 years.

We shouldn’t settle for it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

We have got used to thinking of success as not winning a tournament when by the law of averages we really should have in the last 56 years.

We beat Iran, Wales and Senegal and drew with the USA. It’s crap to think of that as something to be proud of.

Success is about finding a way to win. It can be pretty or it can be dirty but we just don’t have it when it matters.

France will win this and if they do it will be their fourth major trophy in just over 20 years.

Southgate is our version of Martinez. A great pool of talent and will win fuck all because when things need changing he's clueless. 

35 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

To much was made of the 6-2 win v Iran / and a draw against the hard to beat USA🤣....our first tough game was last night and we failed

I'm sick of hearing the normal rolled out shit "there are no easy games".........yes there is if you play your strongest/best team and up for it

People say USA were ranked 16th Iran 20th......its bollocks once you get past the top 10 the rest are  2nd/3rd rate teams who shouldnt reach the last 4/8

Edited by Rosco

15 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Southgate is our version of Martinez. A great pool of talent and will win fuck all because when things need changing he's clueless. 

If he's our Martinez then I dread to think what every manager we've had since Robson has been?

We outplayed the reigning champions and tournament favourites, and save for a bottling Kane we probably would have edged that in extra time. Mbappe barely had a sniff.

Would be mental to get rid of Southgate. Belgium/Germany/Spain/Italy would snap your hand off for the tournament we've had 

• Like 5

If he’s as self aware and intelligent as he appears he might well go. Who’s also going to be in the twilight of their international careers this morning? 

Kane 

Walker

Dier

Trippier

Henderson

McGuire 

Reece James in for Tripps 

Walker is in a way “irreplaceable” as he covers two positions 

Dier..any one of half a dozen centre backs could replace him 

Kalvin Phillips for Henderson 

McGuire is only 29 so may be around for the Euros, same as Kane..

So it’s not a massive rebuild required immediately and there’s other players able to step up, Maddison, Ben Chilwell etc. Think Rashford will be the captain at the next World Cup. The biggest trouble England have is who replaces Southgate & when, he’s contracted till the next Euros .  Whether someone is taken into the St George’s Park set up and prepared for the role now am not sure but that is the way the likes of Germany and France would do it, but that does mean it could well be Steven Gerrard :unsure: 

Yeah, I think he might decide it’s time to move on / for some fresh ideas. He’s dove an excellent job all in all. There only one team that can win a World Cup every four years. Which I know is an obvious thing to say but one bit of bad luck / missed opportunity / a small error a can see you exit as that’s the nature of tournament football. I think the overly cautious approach in the final of the euros was much more of a missed opportunity than last night. 

• Like 4

Only 18 months until the Euros and he is contracted till then. He'll stay I reckon. I kind of agree with both J69 and Ginolaandtonic. England played well, but at the end of the day they rarely beat anyone of note.

Southgate is blessed by having 3 things, a good pool of talent to draw on, said pool of talent are cohesive, and the quality of other teams is exceptionally poor at the minute. He deserves credit for the middle point, but loses that somewhat on tactics and use of subs imo. England have never had a better chance of winning a major tournament but ultimately are blowing it. It might not come back again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Only 18 months until the Euros and he is contracted till then. He'll stay I reckon. I kind of agree with both J69 and Ginolaandtonic. England played well, but at the end of the day they rarely beat anyone of note.

Southgate is blessed by having 3 things, a good pool of talent to draw on, said pool of talent are cohesive, and the quality of other teams is exceptionally poor at the minute. He deserves credit for the middle point, but loses that somewhat on tactics and use of subs imo. England have never had a better chance of winning a major tournament but ultimately are blowing it. It might not come back again. 

We’re doomed to never win anything from now until the end of days. 

Who cares anyway, Newcastle will win something eventually and none of this will even be a blip on the radar in comparison.

England tried their best but IMO Southgate doesn't really have a system or style of play so if the players can't just 'make stuff happen' then we don't go anywhere. We also just don't know/understand/have it ingrained into us how to win when we need to dig deep.

No shame going out to France, and even if we had somehow won, we don't have the stones to actually win the thing even if we were up against San Marino in the final.

Southgate has been rightly criticised for his cautious approach and the way he favours certain players who have performed for him in the past rather than picking on form. There are frustrations there watching his England team and at times I’m screaming at the telly for him to make a sub earlier or bring on Maddison or TAA instead of Mason bloody Mount.

But honestly, he’s done a brilliant job. Best England manager since Alf Ramsey. Yeah, hasn’t got everything right he had talented group of players but so did Robson, El Tel, Keegan, Sven and Capello - and he did better than the lot of them. 

His biggest achievement was making me care about the national team again. I didn’t think it was possible tbh. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Who cares anyway, Newcastle will win something eventually and none of this will even be a blip on the radar in comparison.

This is my only concern. The irrational part of my mind has linked the England hoodoo since 66 with our own since 69. Break one and the other will also break. I mean I know this patently bollocks, but then football is one of the few things I still have demonstrably nonsense beliefs in.

I think Howay was spot on. I’d be amazed if Howe took it at this stage. This is an absolutely incredible opportunity for a manager at NUFC at this time. When you look at what he’s built already and the potential to almost buy who he wants and take the team, club, city along with him. It’s a dream job, once in a lifetime chance. Of course the England job is massive and I’m not saying the Newcastle job is bigger at present but it’s very different to what he’s got here. He seems to thrive on the day to day stuff too. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

This is my only concern. The irrational part of my mind has linked the England hoodoo since 66 with our own since 69. Break one and the other will also break. I mean I know this patently bollocks, but then football is one of the few things I still have demonstrably nonsense beliefs in.

Match should’ve been on the bbc where England have a far better record. I know this is bollocks too but part of me believes it :lol: 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

But honestly, he’s done a brilliant job. Best England manager since Alf Ramsey. Yeah, hasn’t got everything right he had talented group of players but so did Robson, El Tel, Keegan, Sven and Capello - and he did better than the lot of them. 

Hold on though, they're a completely different set of players as is the opposition. You can't make the counterfactual. Consider what Southgate achieved as a manager before the England job, fuck all. Similarly, do you really think Robson wouldn't have won a major trophy with the present crop? I'm not so sure.