Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

24 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

And replace him with who ? Given our PSR hole it would have had to be for less than we got for Miggy, or we passed on someone we did buy.

if we got £20m for him 3 windows ago it would have given us loads of headroom to buy someone. 

45 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

if we got £20m for him 3 windows ago it would have given us loads of headroom to buy someone. 

This post is sponsored by 20/20 hindsight.

No one was advocating selling Miggy after he'd just gone through his purple patch. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

No one was advocating selling Miggy after he'd just gone through his purple patch. 

No, but I was advocating for selling Willock. Imagine what we could have done with the £20-£30m we got for him. Maybe a better P.A. system at Stack?

Mitchell has come in at a bad time and left with having to burden the blame for a pathetic window. I get his comments in that context, it's the sort of thing you'd expect from a top exec who's used to being successful. If they can make it work, having two or more powerful characters with strong opinions can be a good thing for any company. If Howe does decide to walk then he will have shown he's not ready for the top level yet because he has to learn to work in these power corridors, whether it's with Mitchell or someone else.

As for Mitchell himself of course it's too early to judge. I like the fact he's being straight about things that need to change, that's what he was brought in for. We're reading too much into his comments about Howe and England as well. It's part of his job to be prepared for the manager's exit. I hope Eddie stays here for many years, but things can change very very quickly in football and any club should have a plan for when their manager leaves. It would be completely stupid for the club to say 'all our plans depend on Eddie staying and we're in the shit if he takes the Englang job so we will beg him to stay, that's the plan'. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I would have thought it was a no-brainier if there was someone better available.  His career stats suggest that was one off and he is heading towards 30.  

4 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I would have thought it was a no-brainier if there was someone better available.  His career stats suggest that was one off and he is heading towards 30.  

We knew it was a unique season for Miggy, but to be fair to him, it was also the first time in his entire time here that the team wanted to attack and Almirón didn't have to run 80 metres on every play to try to have a chance.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

We knew it was a unique season for Miggy, but to be fair to him, it was also the first time in his entire time here that the team wanted to attack and Almirón didn't have to run 80 metres on every play to try to have a chance.

He could have practically had his own goal of the season contest. It wasn’t sustainable. 

To sell someone you need a buyer willing to pay what you want and for the player to be willing to leave.  Not saying we couldn't have sold him then, but he and his family was settled and perhaps he wouldn't have wanted to go then as well.

• Like 1

having barely featured on the beebs gossip column the entire time the transfer window was actually open, we're now never off it.

antony from man utd now joining guehi (yawn) and elanga as january targets.

very clearly mitchell providing the leaks here in a vain attempt to make himself look less of an incompetent thundercunt. but you can't fool me and hopey, no siree.

• Haha 6

It's a shame we won't see Trippier at Istanbul Airport. I like the look of confusion and fear on ex-Premier League players when they're met by hundreds of rabid Fenerbahce fans.

• Haha 3