Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

As it stands I can't see Trippier leaving now we've let Ashby go on loan. That leaves us with one first choice right back in Livramento and one back up in Krafth who is currently back up RCB too. Seems awfully risky to me given our recent injury history.

That being said, I know fuck all.

On 9/2/2024 at 11:40 PM, OTF said:

What about Mario Hermoso? Is what I was going to ask before I realised he has just signed for AS Roma.

I have seen few defenders worse than Mario Hermoso. I still don't understand how we won a league with him as a centre-back.

He makes absurd decisions, commits stupid fouls and penalties, jumps into pressure when he doesn't have to...

His best quality is that he joins the attack well. Which I don't think is the best thing that can be said about a centre-back.

He is a player who believes himself to be much better than he is, too.

• Thanks 1

What's going on with Garang Kuol?

He doesn't appear to be in the first team squad, isn't playing for the stiffs or the U21, unless he goes to Turkey, the Middle East or comes back to Australia he's missed out on a transfer or loan to a decent level in GB or Europe.

Is he going to be another that disappears out of our so much potential but ends up being released for free? 

4 hours ago, sammynb said:

What's going on with Garang Kuol?

He doesn't appear to be in the first team squad, isn't playing for the stiffs or the U21, unless he goes to Turkey, the Middle East or comes back to Australia he's missed out on a transfer or loan to a decent level in GB or Europe.

Is he going to be another that disappears out of our so much potential but ends up being released for free? 

Based on what hes done so far it looks like it. If thered been anu interest around the time anderson and minteh left youve got to think he wouldve too tbh. 

His loans have gone pretty poorly so far. 

8 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Got to say like, that Mitchell interview has me thinking this all ends in tears with him and Howe 

I've just had a proper read and it doesn't sound great from that perspective. There seemed to be quite a lot of "Eddie's smart enough to know..." and what he was basically saying was "Eddie should be smart enough to know that I'm right". 

I mean the idea that we need to be more like a Brighton is spot on. He's been at big clubs and if he's come here and said our scouting network isn't up to scratch, and our way of assessing players isn't right, then I believe him. We have to start identifying players before their price goes daft. 

This was very much a "that window wasn't my fault" interview though, and we've seen Howe saying pretty much the same from his point of view, which doesn't look too clever. 

Let's see what happens. I don't mind there being a tension between DoF and the head coach - there probably should be. Especially initially when Howe isn't used to it. But if he leaves in a huff and thinks he can go on to a bigger club and not find himself in the same situation, he's kidding himself. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've just had a proper read and it doesn't sound great from that perspective. There seemed to be quite a lot of "Eddie's smart enough to know..." and what he was basically saying was "Eddie should be smart enough to know that I'm right". 

I mean the idea that we need to be more like a Brighton is spot on. He's been at big clubs and if he's come here and said our scouting network isn't up to scratch, and our way of assessing players isn't right, then I believe him. We have to start identifying players before their price goes daft. 

This was very much a "that window wasn't my fault" interview though, and we've seen Howe saying pretty much the same from his point of view, which doesn't look too clever. 

Let's see what happens. I don't mind there being a tension between DoF and the head coach - there probably should be. Especially initially when Howe isn't used to it. But if he leaves in a huff and thinks he can go on to a bigger club and not find himself in the same situation, he's kidding himself. 

I mostly agree but I’m not sure about this line. Feels like he’s making excuses for his own failure. It’s the first failure since the takeover. Yes, I know there’s psr constraining us, but the recruitment of the past three years has been generally excellent. This was the first occasion it wasn’t. Is our scouting network that awful? (They delivered Bruno, Isak, Gordon, Botman). Or is that he and Eddie don’t see eye to eye regarding targets?

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I mostly agree but I’m not sure about this line. Feels like he’s making excuses for his own failure. It’s the first failure since the takeover. Yes, I know there’s psr constraining us, but the recruitment of the past three years has been generally excellent. This was the first occasion it wasn’t. Is our scouting network that awful? (They delivered Bruno, Isak, Gordon, Botman). Or is that he and Eddie don’t see eye to eye regarding targets?

He's saying that we've spent £250m+ and made no player sales, and that that approach isn't fit for purpose. June 30th is all the evidence he needs to point to to say that he's right. 

We built up a pressure on player sales where we had to get rid of two players, both of whom we didn't want to have to sell, and they are now immediate starters for other PL sides, at least one of which is probably our competitor for European spots. 

That's what he's saying can't continue. I don't really see how you can argue against it. He's not saying we bought poorly or that our scouts didn't have success in those instances, or suddenly became bad. He's saying we need to cast a wider net so that we can become a player trading club that identifies talent early, buys it, and has the ability to trade it away so that PSR concerns fall away. 

• Like 2

Mitchell almost certainly needed Eales permission for that interview as he’s exclusively discussing club business. If that’s the case then it’s not a wild fantasy to suggest they’re trying to get Howe to walk. If he didn’t get permission it’s Mitchell trying to cover for a major blot on his CV and he should be in a great deal of trouble with his employers. Either way it’s what Shearer and some TT posters have been suggesting for some time….there are huge problems behind the scenes at NUFC. What happens next is entirely down to results. If we’re in the top 4/5 come Christmas it’ll keep a lid on it. Then we’ll see what happens in January… :unsure:

It would be a disaster for Eales if Howe leaves. I don't think there's any conspiracy to get him to walk at all. I just think you've got two big egos wrestling over boundaries. 

Ultimately Howe will have to give because Mitchell is senior to him in the pecking order. Or he can choose to walk. 

• Like 1

So if there’s (rightly) fall out from the dogs dinner of a window why is it in the fuckin Daily Mail and not in a meeting room at the training ground?  This is a move, I can’t see it any other way. Eddie might ride it out, but if England come calling he’s a lot more likely to go this morning than yesterday morning 

Edited by PaddockLad

who is he suggesting we've over paid for?

tonali perhaps?

I don't think anyone from isak downwards has been a remarkable over spend, on the contrary I think the only eye watering fee for a player that probably doesn't command it is the only one that he's been involved in.

the stupid bald cunt.

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

So if there’s (rightly) fall out from the dogs dinner of a window why is it in the fuckin Daily Mail and not in a meeting room at the training ground?  This is move, I can’t see it any other way. Eddie might ride it out, but if England come calling he’s a lot more likely to go this morning than yesterday morning 

We've been saying that Howe shouldn't have to be the one fronting up the window and the transfer policy, so they've given journalists a chance to speak to Mitchell direct. 

But Mitchell has obviously taken the approach that he's not the sacrificial lamb being sent out to maintain Howe as the golden child, and take all the flak for a window that was largely driven by the previous transfer policy and the manager's insistence on one player. 

There's definitely tension and an element of "know your place" going on, but I think we all knew that before the interview. It's not like Howe is waking up this morning to discover there's a tension between him and the DoF, he already knew it. 

We can't be a club that has a DoF structure and allows Howe to dictate. None of us know to what extent that's really true, but we got a glimpse in the summer when Eddie hoyed his Germany wobbler that he's not a man that feels comfortable with change or possibly with this new structure. 

If he pushes that to where it becomes a terminal event, I'll be absolutely gutted. But you can't make the DoF subservient to the head coach. You'll never be able to employ a DoF worthy of the title.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

So if there’s (rightly) fall out from the dogs dinner of a window why is it in the fuckin Daily Mail and not in a meeting room at the training ground?  This is a move, I can’t see it any other way. Eddie might ride it out, but if England come calling he’s a lot more likely to go this morning than yesterday morning 

There’s your critical mistake