Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

Not sure why we wouldn't do that. If he doesn't fulfil his potential we can always flog him to Forest and he can come back and score a hat trick against us as a later date. :cuppa:

• Haha 10

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Sounds like Philips deal has collapsed due to City wanting an obligation to buy

Stephen Merchant Reaction GIF

Am I the only one thinking that Philips would take ages to get into the team anyway? so I’m not fussed if he comes or not. Again this is a long term project so I’m not really pissing my pants about this season’s position.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MrBass said:

Not sure why we wouldn't do that. If he doesn't fulfil his potential we can always flog him to Forest and he can come back and score a hat trick against us as a later date. :cuppa:

If City want to flog him to us for £75m I can see us baulking at that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trophyshy said:

Stephen Merchant Reaction GIF

Overweight, injury prone, has barely played in the last 2 years.

By the time Eddie whips him into shape, assuming he doesnt break down, everyone will be back anyways. Might as well look for someone who can come in straight away

8 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If City want to flog him to us for £75m I can see us baulking at that.

Young Sheldon GIF by CBS

• Like 1

Who is going to loan someone of his calibre to us that's up to speed?
Who is going to sell someone of his calibre that is up to speed that currently sits within our FFP criteria?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Overweight, injury prone, has barely played in the last 2 years.

By the time Eddie whips him into shape, assuming he doesnt break down, everyone will be back anyways. Might as well look for someone who can come in straight away

image.jpeg.df61911f8136375f9fc92aa3d5400379.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

If he isn’t fit enough to play though then he’s just a waste of money 

If he's fit enough to warm Pep's bench then he's fit enough to come off said bench for us IMO. Especially at the minute, when we have zero rotation options. However, if they want an obligation to buy they can get fucked. Make it optional and we can have a conversation at the end of the season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

If he's fit enough to warm Pep's bench then he's fit enough to come off said bench for us IMO. Especially at the minute, when we have zero rotation options. However, if they want an obligation to buy they can get fucked. Make it optional and we can have a conversation at the end of the season.

He has played 89 minutes in total in the premier league this season. What’s the fucking point in playing an unfit player or having a player on the bench who can’t really come on and compete. Ffs people try thinking about this shit. That’s not even taking into consideration we have never actually played with a proper defensive midfielder so his playing would change the whole dynamic of the team. But lets get him in because err… something need bodies something. If we need bodies this badly we’d be better off going to a morgue 

2 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

He has played 89 minutes in total in the premier league this season. What’s the fucking point in playing an unfit player or having a player on the bench who can’t really come on and compete. Ffs people try thinking about this shit. That’s not even taking into consideration we have never actually played with a proper defensive midfielder so his playing would change the whole dynamic of the team. But lets get him in because err… something need bodies something. If we need bodies this badly we’d be better off going to a morgue 

So similar minutes to Tonali who'd have a lot of our fans ripping it off at the hinge end if his ban was suddenly overturned.

If he's training, and on the bench ready to play for Man City I couldn't give a shit how many minutes he's played, and don't believe he's as out and out a defensive midfielder as is being made out. A player ready to play 45-60 minutes at the drop of a hat, with PL experience, is better than adding yet another goalie to the bench, wouldn't you agree? If we don't get him, so be it. We may get someone else, but to turn your nose up at a player like Phillips because he's not good enough to get into one of the best teams in world football is a bit extreme.

Also, what's the harm in changing up our system a bit, which judging by the results of late, isn't exactly working.

• Like 1

CRAIG HOPE: I’m told the deal is unlikely at present because of the numbers involved. Manchester City, at least before Christmas, had quoted a loan fee in excess of £7m with an obligation to buy.

Newcastle would have to negotiate a deal more suited to them for the move to progress.

As one source said to me this week: ‘Newcastle would like to see Phillips done, but don’t hold your breath’.

Of course, there remains a decent chance that a compromise will be met, but the word this week has been one of doubt.

Brinkmanship? Almost certainly. Don't be surprised to see movement towards the end of the window, despite the early pessimism.

A £7m loan fee sounds expensive.

Oh well, we'd best get MBS to send the Khashoggi boys round to Neves' digs to 'convince' him to move to us on loan.

I think an obligation to buy could be dangerous for our FFP. 

Not too bothered that he hasn't played under Pep. Pep is very open about having set ways of playing and that certain players just do not fit into those roles. I think he said something along these lines about Walker. 

I hope that Philips comes under this heading. He was great at Leeds and I enjoyed watching him play for England. 

We went for months without playing Bruno, Tonali hardly played for us before his ban. Howe moulded them into what he wanted where as Pep has more luxury of having a wealth of talent to not need to do this as much. 

i'm getting a bit bored of the club pretending to be mr nice guy to the established elite. i want to see a big fuck you statement to the european super league wankers. announce some absurd stadium naming rights deal to help finance a january splurge then raid the saudi pro league. fuck em. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i'm getting a bit bored of the club pretending to be mr nice guy to the established elite. i want to see a big fuck you statement to the european super league wankers. announce some absurd stadium naming rights deal to help finance a january splurge then raid the saudi pro league. fuck em. 

They would make an example of us. We have seen how the ”big“ ones react to feel threatened. Us committing even the tiniest infringement of FFP would see us thrown a whole library at us. Us working our way up by sticking to the rules will be the biggest insult.

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season