Bruno Phillips

Miley

Almiron Wilson Gordon 

Trippier Schar Botman Burn

Phillips

Bruno Joelinton

Almiron Isak Gordon 

Or some variation

:lol: this is what I said hours ago man. You can’t stress the need for a 6 to free Bruno up for months then suggest we play them together in front of the back four for crying out loud :lol: You can dress it up any way you want in your own mind but this is what you’re suggesting amounts to in practice. FFS :lol: 

Just now, PaddockLad said:

:lol: this is what I said hours ago man. You can’t stress the need for a 6 to free Bruno up for months then suggest we play them together in front of the back four for crying out loud :lol: You can dress it up any way you want in your own mind but this is what you’re suggesting amounts to in practice. FFS :lol: 

Yeah, definitely crossed wires here. Bruno is best further forward and a proper number 6 would free him up. But given our injuries, given how we're struggling recently, it makes sense to provide more protection to a lesser 'keeper like Dubravka. 

I'm not sure what semantic hill you're trying to die on, but I'm staying my hand.

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Miley as the number 10 in front of the double pivot? 

Go On Reaction GIF by MasterClass

He's shown the most ability to play the unexpected pass from our midfielders. You could even play two wingers and Wilson and Isak in the middle and go for an old school 4-4-2. But I wouldn't recommend it against anyone outside the bottom 3 or 4 clubs.

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, definitely crossed wires here. Bruno is best further forward and a proper number 6 would free him up. But given our injuries, given how we're struggling recently, it makes sense to provide more protection to a lesser 'keeper like Dubravka. 

I'm not sure what semantic hill you're trying to die on, but I'm staying my hand.

You’re now moving the goalposts because I’ve frankly snared your flip flopping by ironically bringing the goalie into it :lol: 

Just be consistent Dave. It’s not much to ask 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 3

Aye a proper 6 gives us coverage and allows Bruno to focus more higher up the pitch, which is honestly his strength. Same with Tonali when he comes back as he’s also an 8 not a 6. 

A proper DM also allows us to keep pressure on more in games, even prior to the injury and tiredness our set up gave opposition time between attacks as the ball would go all the way back to defense (or currently to an opposition attacker who hits us on the counter) - whereas if we had Phillips there he’d sweep it up and get it back to the attacking players keeping the opponent hemmed in. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You’re now moving the goalposts because I’ve frankly snared your flip flopping by ironically bringing the goalie into it :lol: 

Just be consistent Dave. It’s not much to ask 🤷🏻‍♂️

I honestly haven't changed my opinion on what this squad needs for years; a true blue DM. 

What is it that you think I've said, then flip-flopped to? I'm genuinely confused.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I honestly haven't changed my opinion on what this squad needs for years; a true blue DM. 

What is it that you think I've said, then flip-flopped to? I'm genuinely confused.

You're suggesting a new formation, however temporary, that has Bruno playing further back than the introduction of Phillips would allow. This all comes from Dazzler suggesting 4231 this morning and you and Gloom basically nodding in agreement with him. That’s inconsistent with what the general feeling about bringing a defensive midfielder would allow Bruno to do that’s been the prevailing opinion of you tactical gurus for months on end. I don’t understand why when you’re on the brink of what you want you’d suggest a change, however subtle. It’s widely considered fatigue is the problem, not tactics. Then you bring up we’ve got a shit goalie. Am suggesting we find a better one then and don’t disrupt the system too much. And a miggy upgrade. There. I hope this has made you happy 🥹

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

You're suggesting a new formation, however temporary, that has Bruno playing further back than the introduction of Phillips would allow. This all comes from Dazzler suggesting 4231 this morning and you and Gloom basically nodding in agreement with him. That’s inconsistent with what the general feeling about bringing a defensive midfielder would allow Bruno to do that’s been the prevailing opinion of you tactical gurus for months on end. I don’t understand why when you’re on the brink of what you want you’d suggest a change, however subtle. It’s widely considered fatigue is the problem, not tactics. Then you bring up we’ve got a shit goalie. Am suggesting we find a better one then and don’t disrupt the system too much. And a miggy upgrade. There. I hope this has made you happy 🥹

Kind of, I'm suggesting we've needed a DM for fucking ages. A DM that would, with a full strength squad, allow us to play Bruno further forward without risking the defence being overrun.

Right now, we're too easy to play through, and with Dubravka being incapable of playing that sweeper keeper role that Pope did, we are forced to abandon our high line. Our midfield and defence don't have the legs to provide that defensive protection that they did last season. So our keeper needs more protection, our defence needs more protection and the load on our midfield needs to be lessened. 

Phillips and Bruno as a solid 2 man platform to build from is right, for the here and now.

Moving forward we could absolutely revert to a similar style with Phillips playing in the same position that Bruno was. 

I've not changed my mind at all on the longer term needs, I just recognise that, right now, we need to be more solid which is why I would go for the dreaded and derided double pivot.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye a proper 6 gives us coverage and allows Bruno to focus more higher up the pitch, which is honestly his strength. Same with Tonali when he comes back as he’s also an 8 not a 6. 

A proper DM also allows us to keep pressure on more in games, even prior to the injury and tiredness our set up gave opposition time between attacks as the ball would go all the way back to defense (or currently to an opposition attacker who hits us on the counter) - whereas if we had Phillips there he’d sweep it up and get it back to the attacking players keeping the opponent hemmed in. 

A proper DM might also help stop us getting done in transition as often. Bruno was trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck against forest - one of the few players seemingly capable of doing so at the minute - but that left massive holes when they broke on us. 

As did Schar when he kept going awol but that’s another matter 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

A proper DM might also help stop us getting done in transition as often. Bruno was trying to take the game by the scruff of the neck against forest - one of the few players seemingly capable of doing so at the minute - but that left massive holes when they broke on us. 

As did Schar when he kept going awol but that’s another matter 

Is that what we're calling falling at the slightest contact and rolling around on the floor in apparent blistering agony while the opponents break repeatedly? He was fucking wretched. I'm not sure a DM, proper or otherwise, will help keep him from being such a tart all the time. What that game needed was a fit Joelinton imo. 

Personally I think we have much more pressing issues than CM to address. Wilson increasingly looks finished, Isak plays better on the left, and Almiron's bang out of form. Attempting to contend a season playing on four different fronts with two strikers was a mistake from the beginning. We should've spent much more wisely in the summer - I'm sure there were loans to be had. We couldn't legislate for the injury list we've suffered, but the dearth of forward options is 100% a failure of planning. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

Is that what we're calling falling at the slightest contact and rolling around on the floor in apparent blistering agony while the opponents break repeatedly? He was fucking wretched. I'm not sure a DM, proper or otherwise, will help keep him from being such a tart all the time. What that game needed was a fit Joelinton imo. 

Personally I think we have much more pressing issues than CM to address. Wilson increasingly looks finished, Isak plays better on the left, and Almiron's bang out of form. Attempting to contend a season playing on four different fronts with two strikers was a mistake from the beginning. We should've spent much more wisely in the summer - I'm sure there were loans to be had. We couldn't legislate for the injury list we've suffered, but the dearth of forward options is 100% a failure of planning. 

I agree that we need another striker. Perhaps a bit premature to suggest Wilson is finished. A third striker alike allow us to manage his and Isak’s minutes better than we have lately. 

I don’t know how you can say Bruno was wretched against Forest. He’s the one of the few players who emerged with any credit from the game that I watched along with Isak and Miley. Burn, Longstaff and Miggy were wretched, Gordon looked half fit. Bruno was one of the few players trying to get us going. 

He made 44 of 50 attempted passes. Made 3/5 attempted dribbles, 3/3 attempted long balls. Won 10/19 duels. Drew 3 fouls and generally tried to drive us forwards, unlike longstaff who was anonymous. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Can we get him registered in time for the derby?

No doubt his time in Saudi has turned him from wearing a rainbow armband to hurling gays off the top of buildings and wants to wind up the Pennywell branch of Amnesty International.

It's the most logical scenario marra

• Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season