Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

16 minutes ago, The Fish said:

My worry is; Is it just a case of Phillips not having the ability to usurp the established Man City players, or is he a bit of a Jack Rodwell?

If it's the former, then sure he's worth a punt, if it's the latter then he should be avoided. Trouble is, how could you really know until he moves from Man City?

I think that Pep has simply not liked him and he has a bit on one side. In addition, his competition has been Rodri (who is a physical marvel and has played everything), Gundogan and the new version of Stones.

At the start of the season, Pep said that Phillips had had that serious shoulder injury the previous season and that he needed to get back to his best.

In the middle of the season (after the World Cup), Pep said that Phillips had arrived a bit overweight and that this was unacceptable.

To justify his absence for the entire season, he said that this year he had decided almost not to rotate his players because other years he had done it and it had gone wrong.

It's complicated. He may be some kind of Rodwell, but like you say, the only way to prove it is to sign him. He has already been at a good level for 3-4 years in the Championship and for two years in the Premier with Leeds... But it is true that sometimes there are certain players who only know how to perform in one team and not in the rest.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

You'd think they would have learned from last season not to strengthen a domestic 'rival'.

Hmmm…won the league by 5 points despite strengthening the team that finished second…they’ll probably look at Dan Burn in our defence, smirk and do it anyway :D 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm confident Howe could get the best out of someone like Phillips.

100%

Issue with Philips at City is the players he has around him.  He's not going to be 100% starter.

• Like 3

I think it must impact on your motivation a bit when you’ve gone from being almost an ever present at one club to getting virtually no time on the pitch. Especially when you’re at your peak. I’d probably take him anyway but a loan move would be perfect. 

• Like 4

I've moved on to being marginally obsessed with Chiesa joining us, after the club didn't bid for Szobobszlai. No doubt there'll be rumour after rumour about us being close to bidding, and then Villa or somebody equally stupid will sign him just to make it worse. Not that I blame the club as I'm sure we'll have a good window regardless. At least Szoboszlai went to a team who've in the recent past won big competitions and have a pedigree. If Chiesa can get back to his best he'd potentially be an elite player in the PL and be under consideration for player of the year wherever he goes. Well I say wherever but he obviously needs to go to a decent team to perform to his best levels. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Fish said:

image.thumb.png.4c809b3e75f6a4dd36146a06c1bcb6e2.png

I'm not worried about his injuries. That seems like a lot but apart from the cruciate he's spent quite little time out. Plus the injuries after the cruciate, muscle fatigue etc look like the type of injuries most players get their first season back after being out so long after that type of injury. If his knee is in good shape, and the medical would assess that, then this season is when he should be getting back to his pre cruciate injury fitness levels. As long as we get a little consideration on the price, because of said injury, we could potentially be getting a bargain should we bid and it's accepted. 

Edited by Polarboy

20 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I'm not worried about his injuries. That seems like a lot but apart from the cruciate he's spent quite little time out. Plus the injuries after the cruciate, muscle fatigue etc look like the type of injuries most players get their first season back after being out so long after that type of injury. If his knee is in good shape, and the medical would assess that, then this season is when he should be getting back to his pre cruciate injury fitness levels. As long as we get a little consideration on the price, because of said injury, we could potentially be getting a bargain should we bid and it's accepted. 

I dunno, I see a history of soft tissue injuries, and the intense way we play and I can't see anything but calamity for Enrico's baby boy. 

I'd rather we hobbled Brighton and stole Evan Ferguson from them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I dunno, I see a history of soft tissue injuries, and the intense way we play and I can't see anything but calamity for Enrico's baby boy. 

I'd rather we hobbled Brighton and stole Evan Ferguson from them.

A winger who can play either flank isn't really comparable to an out an out centre forward like Ferguson. Ferguson can play a bit as well of course. But the point being Ferguson won't solve the quality issues out wide, and why would he move to sit on our bench when he's likely to break into the Brighton first 11 on a consistent basis in the coming season. 

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

A winger who can play either flank isn't really comparable to an out an out centre forward like Ferguson. Ferguson can play a bit as well of course. But the point being Ferguson won't solve the quality issues out wide, and why would he move to sit on our bench when he's likely to break into the Brighton first 11 on a consistent basis in the coming season. 

Fedora Tip GIFs | Tenor

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Meant more about the cost than the playing style 

And as to why would he join? Have you not seen our bridges, beaches and babes?

Just now, The Fish said:

Meant more about the cost than the playing style 

And as to why would he join? Have you not seen our bridges, beaches and babes?

I know transfermarkt has Ferguson down as roughly 20m pounds, but given his age and potential you'd be lucky to get him for 50m, given the current market for good young players with PL experience. Chiesa on the other hand is supposedly valued at 50m by Juve, but it's been hinted there's room for negotiation. Anyway, I'm sure the paupers in Liverpool will stretch that shoestring even more, and end up signing him. There has been vague rumours that they are also interested. 

• Like 2

Veiga is away to PSG according to a report in Spain. With Enrique now their manager the move makes sense, if the report turns out to hold water. Given it said that he'll soon be doing his medical you'd assume there must be something in it for them to be that definitive. 

If you go for Maddison and Szoboszlai, but Chiesa or Diaby eventually arrive, you're kind of changing the idea you have with those players, because they can play the same position, but their style is radically different.

Chiesa I love it. At least the version up to before he was injured. I think he was one of the most differential players in the world playing on the right wing.

I do believe that a player with his ambition will be able to recover stability and return to his level.

But if the signing is Chiesa, I think Almirón or Murphy would have to leave, because there are 3 players who clearly play in the same position.

51 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

If you go for Maddison and Szoboszlai, but Chiesa or Diaby eventually arrive, you're kind of changing the idea you have with those players, because they can play the same position, but their style is radically different.

Chiesa I love it. At least the version up to before he was injured. I think he was one of the most differential players in the world playing on the right wing.

I do believe that a player with his ambition will be able to recover stability and return to his level.

But if the signing is Chiesa, I think Almirón or Murphy would have to leave, because there are 3 players who clearly play in the same position.

Gordon can play RW too.

Almiron is the one you could probably get some money for. I don’t see Murphy going anywhere. He’s living his best life and his wages will be fuck all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diego21 said:

I read a quote, that was supposedly from an unnamed club source, stating that it was as late as May before we thought we had any chance of getting Tonali. So it's possible that we've changed the profile of players we're after to add to him in response to that. The rumours about Maddison and Szoboszlai this window could have been a result of us heavily scouting, and in Maddison's case also bidding for him, previously. 

• Like 2

we're starting to be linked with this kephram thuram kid who liverpool were apparently also keen on. i have no idea what he's like. thought his brother looked canny in the world cup but he is apparently another CM and i'm not sure that is the priority now we have tonali. thought RW and LB would be the key positions to try to upgrade. his stats look ok  - 6 goal contributions last season

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 10.08.52.png

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Gordon can play RW too.

Almiron is the one you could probably get some money for. I don’t see Murphy going anywhere. He’s living his best life and his wages will be fuck all. 

I agree.

In fact, I think pretty much all of us would have accepted that Almiron had been sold last summer for an appropriate amount because the guy hadn't really progressed or exploded in all his years here.

But of course, with the level shown this season for several months...

My only question is whether Miggy will be able to maintain that level throughout the season. Because that is the level that sets him apart and makes him important in a Champions League team like ours.

According to Ben Jacobs Liverpool have dropped out of the race for K Thuram and will focus their attention on Lavia next. Unfortunately it's a player like Lavia that we could do with. Having read a bit more about Thuram he's not really suited to playing as a six, and is more of a box to box destroyer in the mold of Joelinton. I'd be surprised if we go for him, unless the transfer fee is too good to not make a bid. If we bought him he might even start in that three man midfield alongside Bruno and Tonali, with Big Joe playing left wing, but I think we're in greater need of elite players at LB and RW/AM.

Edited by Polarboy

11 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

According to Ben Jacobs Liverpool have dropped out of the race for K Thuram and will focus their attention on Lavia next. Unfortunately it's a player like Lavia that we could do with. Having read a bit more about Thuram he's not really suited to playing as a six, and is more of a box to box destroyer in the mold of Joelinton. I'd be surprised if we go for him, unless the transfer fee is too good to not make a bid. If we bought him he might even start in that three man midfield alongside Bruno and Tonali, with Big Joe playing left wing, but I think we're in greater need of elite players at LB and RW/AM.

They're also after a Real player. 

17 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

They're also after a Real player. 

I presume it's Tchouameni? And sure if they could get him they'd likely drop out of the Lavia race as well, but I think basically every top team would like Tchouaméeni. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season