Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

14 minutes ago, Craig said:

It's the nearest I've seen to Leeds United's epic financial failure from 20 years ago. It's a huge, huge gamble. Reckless if you ask me.

There something not right about the whole thing. Holden was right in that they needed a top class no. 9, not a whole squad revamp 

10 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye I’ve been searching about out of interest to try and find someone that discusses the more medium term impacts for chelsea, as there’s just a lot screaming on about how it’s fine right this minute but not many discussing down the line. Swiss ramble did a piece where it’s basically saying they need to have big sales like they did recently, but he questioned on if that’s realistic. Surely this will end in trouble. 

Who are their saleable assets? Because it's not Cucurella.  If they hadn't just splurged on a stack of new players they could have got big money for the likes of Gallagher, Ziyech etc. but now? Not so much. 

They've definitely bought some very good players, and Potter is a very good coach. But they need CL football, and soon. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Howay said:

https://swissramble.substack.com/p/will-chelseas-transfer-spend-break

Here’s the piece, so their losses are fucking huge each year and unlikely to improve but they’ve been overcoming them with massive player sales. The issue they have is that’s less likely going forward, which has started telling with the struggles to move on the likes of Bakayoko, Lukaku, Ziyech, etc. 

And then on top of that, going forward, the players coming in are on exceptionally long contracts. So they’ll be even harder to shift 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

But if it’s just paper talk on a quiet-ish deadline day we’ll all have him here in a shot ;) 

Exactly. It's written by the Daily Heil so it must be true. :lol:

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Exactly. It's written by the Daily Heil so it must be true. :lol:

I mean they could well be after him but the timing of the story is a bit convenient from a news point of view. If they really wanted him you’d think they’d at least test the waters now, maybe even offering some players on exchange on loan or otherwise. 

• Like 1

:lol: Aye it seems very PR-ish, I think Man City will focus on Bellingham in summer. I’m not bothered either way, if we get top 4 (tbh even if we don’t) the summer is going to be a completely different market for us compared to the one a year ago. We’ve kept our powder very dry and could make a big splash with CL income coming in. 

10 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Aye it seems very PR-ish, I think Man City will focus on Bellingham in summer. I’m not bothered either way, if we get top 4 (tbh even if we don’t) the summer is going to be a completely different market for us compared to the one a year ago. We’ve kept our powder very dry and could make a big splash with CL income coming in. 

We have a fantastic chance of getting CL spot this season because Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs are shite next year will be a different story,get a spot this season and we'll be well ahead of schedule

Edited by Rosco
  • Like 1

With regards to us and a central midfielder, wouldn’t be surprised if our general stance is to not sign stop-gaps, even on loan. Maybe due to FFP, maybe due to the fact that the likes of Hendrick and co are still lingering about on long deals. Plus, other than Gallagher, are there any Premier League central midfielders who we could get that represent a decent option? With Gordon, Joelinton can now be moved back so you have 4 players for 3 slots. It’s not ideal but Isak also opens the option to play 4-4-2 if need be so I’m not sure it’s the be all and end all if we don’t replace Shelvey. Especially if a long term target, who will actually improve us, becomes available early in the summer

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

I mean they could well be after him but the timing of the story is a bit convenient from a news point of view. If they really wanted him you’d think they’d at least test the waters now, maybe even offering some players on exchange on loan or otherwise. 

The point I'm getting at is how quickly some people arrive at "Fuck him them!" on the back of what is, most likely, a speculative article by a bullshit newspaper. :lol:

• Haha 1

Looking like it's going to have to be a loan signing from leftfield, perhaps a player from abroad, if we're going to fill that slot left by Shelvey. Jorginho going to Arsenal may have fucked us and put the last nail in any chance of getting a Chelsea player. Berge has gone very quiet as well and he's apparently trained as normal today. You'd imagine if he goes it will likely be to Fulham. Having said all that surely there's some foreign options that we could get a look at through a loan and an obligation to buy. If Howe likes the look of him we can allow him to trigger whatever targets we've set for the obligation. 

Probably another "ITK", but he does have nearly 10,000 followers so who knows. Looking at his feed it looks a lot like he just copies Romano and throws in a few himself. 

Edited by Polarboy

I think we're taking a real risk in terms of going for Champions League qualification if we don't have a midfielder come in.  We all knew we were short at the begining of the window and although Shelvey has played very little this season. selling him certainly doesn't help matters.  And I don't buy the theory that bringing Gordon in allows us to move Joelinton back more centrally.  We've had Maxi pretty much fit since before the world cup so we already had that option (Isak further increased the options too).

I'm certainly not going to whine on like an Arsenal fan as we're in a fantastic position (hopefully even better after tonight) but I think this would be the first failure of the new regime if we don't bring anyone else in.  It might be that we carry luck with injuries and form and Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff and Willock can carry us through the rest of the season.  But even if that happens I think we will have been shown a little wanting this month in our recruitment.

• Like 3

I think at this stage of the window the only thing we need is a player capable of unlocking defences.

Hopefully with Bruno pushing forward and Gordon providing a high press to let Big Joe kill everything in sight in central midfield and we should be good barring any injury disasters 

We might see Gordon deployed as a number 10 given he can play there. Whether Howe would want to sacrifice that bit of solidity in midfield with playing one of three that far forward is another story. Willock probably has the most license to get forward but you wouldn't call him a 10. 

4 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I think we're taking a real risk in terms of going for Champions League qualification if we don't have a midfielder come in.  We all knew we were short at the begining of the window and although Shelvey has played very little this season. selling him certainly doesn't help matters.  And I don't buy the theory that bringing Gordon in allows us to move Joelinton back more centrally.  We've had Maxi pretty much fit since before the world cup so we already had that option (Isak further increased the options too).

I'm certainly not going to whine on like an Arsenal fan as we're in a fantastic position (hopefully even better after tonight) but I think this would be the first failure of the new regime if we don't bring anyone else in.  It might be that we carry luck with injuries and form and Bruno, Joelinton, Longstaff and Willock can carry us through the rest of the season.  But even if that happens I think we will have been shown a little wanting this month in our recruitment.

I think Maxi has only just got back to full fitness/sharpness tbh. And, once we get past the final (touch wood), it’s only 15 games across 3 months or so. I still maintain there’s enough rotation options in the attack/midfield to get through that. I’d say the biggest concern is an injury to Schar or Trippier

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I think Maxi has only just got back to full fitness/sharpness tbh. And, once we get past the final (touch wood), it’s only 15 games across 3 months or so. I still maintain there’s enough rotation options in the attack/midfield to get through that. I’d say the biggest concern is an injury to Schar or Trippier

a bruno injury would be the worst. we don't have anyone else like him in the squad. 

16 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Probably another "ITK", but he does have nearly 10,000 followers so who knows. Looking at his feed it looks a lot like he just copies Romano and throws in a few himself. 

that's fewer followers than casey has, so don't read too much into it

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

that's fewer followers than casey has, so don't read too much into it

Yeah but aren't a lot of Casey's followers following him for the craic? Not that I hold much confidence in the account I posted as I've already said. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season