Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

All sold for a combined £5.5m. You may want to find some better examples.

I'll need you to look at what they paid for them, look what they sold them for, adjust it for football inflation, and then I'm going to need you to get the hell off my fucking back.

• Haha 1

Him saying we need to be better at selling is fair enough until you look at what we want to sell, what contract they're on and the chances of selling them, (especially now under PSR) being slim to none. If he wants to point the finger for that then it has to go back to the Ashley regime. Or is he saying we should've bought players in under the level of Bruno etc to let them grow before selling? The long-term aim of development is the way to go but if you can't sell the shite then you have to grow the income till the development takes shape and the shite eventually leaves through not renewing their contracts. Or we sell a diamond with a potential diamond already in place when the polished diamond is sold. Absolutely nobody wants the likes of isak to go so either they up their game on the income front or they get selling the stars. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Isn't getting them off the wage bill the major factor here though?

Absolutely. We couldn't give them away with the money they're on.

• Like 1

I’ve now read the Atlantic article and the way they’ve interpreted what Mitchell says gives the foul stench of a jonnie come lately patronisingly schooling the incumbent staff, whilst thinking that he’s smoothing things over. I know this because I’ve both done it and been on the receiving end of that sort of bullshit. Trust me, I’m an expert on this ☺️

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I’ve now read the Atlantic article and the way they’ve interpreted what Mitchell says gives the foul stench of a jonnie come lately patronisingly schooling the incumbent staff, whilst thinking that he’s smoothing things over. I know this because I’ve both done it and been on the receiving end of that sort of bullshit. Trust me, I’m an expert on this ☺️

An outsider's view.

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

Him saying we need to be better at selling is fair enough until you look at what we want to sell, what contract they're on and the chances of selling them, (especially now under PSR) being slim to none. If he wants to point the finger for that then it has to go back to the Ashley regime. Or is he saying we should've bought players in under the level of Bruno etc to let them grow before selling? The long-term aim of development is the way to go but if you can't sell the shite then you have to grow the income till the development takes shape and the shite eventually leaves through not renewing their contracts. Or we sell a diamond with a potential diamond already in place when the polished diamond is sold. Absolutely nobody wants the likes of isak to go so either they up their game on the income front or they get selling the stars. 

Well, they are getting more income, but that'll take time. And these stars you speak of? Who exactly could we sell and make good money on? We've tried offloading Almiron in two separate windows, no joy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Well, they are getting more income, but that'll take time. And these stars you speak of? Who exactly could we sell and make good money on? We've tried offloading Almiron in two separate windows, no joy. 

Almiron is one of the people we can't sell from the Ashley regime. The stars we could sell at a profit would be Bruno, Isak or Gordon. I'd add Botman to that but that's now a wait and see as it's a bad injury which has been unnecessarily aggravated. Do I want to sell the crown jewels? Of course not.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Sounds like Mitchell is going to hoover up a whole bunch of 18 year old wonderkids with the 70mil instead, great news for the Official Loan watch Thread™. :good:

"Look at all this extra work I won't do". 

Unbelievable. 

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

chris waugh was lee ryder's underling.

nowt more needs saying.

Craig Hope was KD’s

Ditto

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

oh. I thought for a minute you were suggesting the kid was that fucker who spars with the mackem on good morning britain.

Andrew Pierce? The prize twat’s prize twat 

52 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Almiron is one of the people we can't sell from the Ashley regime. The stars we could sell at a profit would be Bruno, Isak or Gordon. I'd add Botman to that but that's now a wait and see as it's a bad injury which has been unnecessarily aggravated. Do I want to sell the crown jewels? Of course not.

That's my point though, we don't want to sell the stars, and we can't sell the fringe players. So where does that leave us? We have to inflate the PSR envelope by signing commercial deals and offloading from the wage bill. Those are both more incremental steps, but way more sustainable than trying to cash in on the players who we should be building a dynasty around. 

I think they messed up this window, by focussing too much on Guehi and not the bigger picture. We needed an athletic, technical  right-sided CB. Not Guehi specifcally. If there were none available at the price we were happy with, then we should have quickly shifted focus to another area of the pitch. To fail to do that was shortsighted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

The new regime gave Almiron contract extension. I suppose that was with a view to getting a fee somewhere down the line. We should have sold him when he had that cracking season. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

The new regime gave Almiron contract extension. I suppose that was with a view to getting a fee somewhere down the line. We should have sold him when he had that cracking season. 

And replace him with who ? Given our PSR hole it would have had to be for less than we got for Miggy, or we passed on someone we did buy.

28 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's my point though, we don't want to sell the stars, and we can't sell the fringe players. So where does that leave us? We have to inflate the PSR envelope by signing commercial deals and offloading from the wage bill. Those are both more incremental steps, but way more sustainable than trying to cash in on the players who we should be building a dynasty around. 

I think they messed up this window, by focussing too much on Guehi and not the bigger picture. We needed an athletic, technical  right-sided CB. Not Guehi specifcally. If there were none available at the price we were happy with, then we should have quickly shifted focus to another area of the pitch. To fail to do that was shortsighted.

:lol:

That was also my point! Your first three sentences. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

It was only a cracking half season tbf, he was slowly reverting to form towards the end but still had a few outstanding performances (like when we shagged Brighton).

I don't recall any rumours of big offers / clubs looking at him at the time though and I've always got the impression that his aim is to head back to the MLS so he's going to run his contract down to a point an MLS team can afford him or he'll leave for free.

• Like 1