Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We've been saying that Howe shouldn't have to be the one fronting up the window and the transfer policy, so they've given journalists a chance to speak to Mitchell direct. 

But Mitchell has obviously taken the approach that he's not the sacrificial lamb being sent out to maintain Howe as the golden child, and take all the flak for a window that was largely driven by the previous transfer policy and the manager's insistence on one player. 

There's definitely tension and an element of "know your place" going on, but I think we all knew that before the interview. It's not like Howe is waking up this morning to discover there's a tension between him and the DoF, he already knew it. 

We can't be a club that has a DoF structure and allows Howe to dictate. None of us know to what extent that's really true, but we got a glimpse in the summer when Eddie hoyed his Germany wobbler that he's not a man that feels comfortable with change or possibly with this new structure. 

If he pushes that to where it becomes a terminal event, I'll be absolutely gutted. But you can't make the DoF subservient to the head coach. You'll never be able to employ a DoF worthy of the title.

Anyone got a link to that interview ? At the time I thought the reporting was way overblown and it was just Eddie commenting on the new structure, which happened very quickly at the time, and being upfront about resulting uncertainty, which any such change always brings.

There was a journo at the time (can’t remember who) who tweeted out “In the room I didn’t take Eddie’s comments negatively” it wasn’t “Hope the sky is falling” obvs.

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

We've been saying that Howe shouldn't have to be the one fronting up the window and the transfer policy, so they've given journalists a chance to speak to Mitchell direct. 

But Mitchell has obviously taken the approach that he's not the sacrificial lamb being sent out to maintain Howe as the golden child, and take all the flak for a window that was largely driven by the previous transfer policy and the manager's insistence on one player. 

There's definitely tension and an element of "know your place" going on, but I think we all knew that before the interview. It's not like Howe is waking up this morning to discover there's a tension between him and the DoF, he already knew it. 

We can't be a club that has a DoF structure and allows Howe to dictate. None of us know to what extent that's really true, but we got a glimpse in the summer when Eddie hoyed his Germany wobbler that he's not a man that feels comfortable with change or possibly with this new structure. 

If he pushes that to where it becomes a terminal event, I'll be absolutely gutted. But you can't make the DoF subservient to the head coach. You'll never be able to employ a DoF worthy of the title.

Mitchell is annihilating his direct underling in public. I’m not disagreeing with much of what you say. I’m suggesting if you’re going to do the de brief of the transfer window in public there are alterior motives. 

12 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

There’s your critical mistake

It’s a fuckin ridiculous decision to do this via the media. Newcastle United are being run by fuckin idiots yet again…

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Mitchell is annihilating his direct underling in public. I’m not disagreeing with much of what you say. I’m suggesting if you’re going to do the de brief of the transfer window in public there are alterior motives. 

It could be argued that Howe has been doing the same thing. 

12 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Anyone got a link to that interview ? At the time I thought the reporting was way overblown and it was just Eddie commenting on the new structure, which happened very quickly at the time, and being upfront about resulting uncertainty, which any such change always brings.

There was a journo at the time (can’t remember who) who tweeted out “In the room I didn’t take Eddie’s comments negatively” it wasn’t “Hope the sky is falling” obvs.

It's on YouTube I believe, so you can actually watch it. 

17 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It could be argued that Howe has been doing the same thing. 

Yes, if you’re referring to the Atlantic article at the weekend. At that point it sounded like someone “close to” Mitchell had also been speaking to Hope… 

Hadn’t realised a range of journos were present at yesterday’s interview, I thought they were mostly reporting Hope’s piece last night. I still think this is a mistake. 

On 26/08/2024 at 21:40, LongTimeAdmirer said:

seems suspicious when key targets keep slipping through (Oliseh, Guehi), doesn’t it? If you were into conspiracies, you could spin it like this: Mitchell and his crew didn't like that interview and are playing some long game to undermine Eddie’s progress by constantly missing out on his key transfer targets. Maybe they think that if they keep “failing,” Eddie will get frustrated, results will dip, and they’ll have an excuse to move him on. It’s like they’re quietly sabotaging the success he’s built to push their own agenda. But hey, that’s just a theory… or is it? 👀

:whistling:

18 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

gone a bit awry since the karaoke king rocked up.

1000008634.thumb.jpg.e118dacc5c4e522c2d53d0f968c7a832.jpg

"Ok guys, now for my next song, I think there's a point in every relationship where things sometimes start to go wrong. These feelings can lead to tensions and suspicion but it's nothing that can't be sorted. I think Elvis gets this..... Just about.....right....."

🎶

We're caught in a trap

I can't walk out

Because I love the salary too much, Eddie 

Why can't you see

What you're doing to me

When you don't believe a word I say?

We can't go on together

With suspicious minds (suspicious minds)

And we can't build this long term project 

On suspicious minds.... 🎵

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

That's what he's saying can't continue. I don't really see how you can argue against it. He's not saying we bought poorly or that our scouts didn't have success in those instances, or suddenly became bad. He's saying we need to cast a wider net so that we can become a player trading club that identifies talent early, buys it, and has the ability to trade it away so that PSR concerns fall away. 

Which is exactly what we did with Minteh. We got lucky with him in that his value rose so quickly but this has obviously been the tactic all along given the amount of young players we've signed for the under age teams so I'm calling more bullshit.

Plus he refers to himself in the third person and ewerk thinks that anyone who does that is a massive cunt.

• Haha 7

42 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It’s a fuckin ridiculous decision to do this via the media. Newcastle United are being run by fuckin idiots yet again…

How else could they do it though, if it was done in house it'd be branded as sanitised. They had several journo's there and no questions "off limits". Not sure what else they could do.

So the club make an effort to be more transparent and offer the DoF to several local journalists to communicate with the fans and some people are looking at this as a bad thing?

FFS, let's go back to the Ashley and Llambias days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

FFS, let's go back to the Ashley and Llambias days.

Looks like we are heading there regardless. 😉 

p.s. I’m not even sure the safety wink is warranted 

• Jaysus... 1

In a nutshell

- it’s Eddie fault -  not his - for only wanting Guehi

- we need to do a lot of work

- we’ve spent a lot of money (although we obviously have £70m burning a hole in our pocket)

- he hasn’t been there long enough to affect anything (maybe the club shouldn’t have let Staveley go until the window shut?!)

All sounds rosey to me.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Jaysus... 1

9 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

https://archive.ph/DKs8K

Athletic article is ever so slightly more nuanced than Hopey the Shit Stirrer’s

Much better article. Actually feels like a positive event rather than a negative one. 

Clearly still work to do on his and Howe's relationship. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Plus he refers to himself in the third person and ewerk thinks that anyone who does that is a massive cunt.

He also asks himself questions then answers them. Does toonotl think that's another sign of a massive cunt? He sure does.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Much better article. Actually feels like a positive event rather than a negative one. 

Clearly still work to do on his and Howe's relationship. 

I didn't really get the angst tbh, I read Douglas' article first and it was balanced and all sounded pretty normal to me. The Athletic one Ayatollah posted backs Douglas up.

8 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

prefer hope's me like.

I’ve just read the quotes and haven’t watched a video version, so it’s probably harder to get the tone. 

There has been a lot of upheaval this summer and it’s the first time we’ve not progressed.  Only time will tell if the actual results of the decisions from past couple of months bear fruit.

it might be that long term we end up being more successful. 

I do have a feeling that it’s not all rosey now and a few bad results and Howe will be in trouble.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Just now, Toonpack said:

I didn't really get the angst tbh, I read Douglas' article first and it was balanced and all sounded pretty normal to me. The Athletic one Ayatollah posted backs Douglas up.

Hope's is largely just the quotes, posted without context. I would have to go through and do a side by side vs the Athletic (which I'm not gonna) but my sense is that Hope's focused on mostly the quotes that indicated tension. 

I might be being unfair though, and he would say "I published direct quotes". 

I think the event itself is a good thing - the more transparent the club is, the better. Much worse would be to have windows go by and just keep sending Howe out to front everything up and nobody ever hear from the bloke that's in charge of our entire recruitment strategy. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

chris waugh was lee ryder's underling.

nowt more needs saying.