Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

3 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

I’m sorry @Toonpack but Guehi cannot be the only CB that fits these criteria

He wasn’t, that’s more journo bullshit, we couldn’t land one

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Here @Toonpack this is your mate Caulkin 👀

https://archive.is/IBkY1

stopped reading that after the first paragraph.

refuse to tolerate any fucker coming out with the line that it's good news we've kept a hold of our best 3 players.

we'd complied with psr 2 fucking months ago, selling any of the top lads would've been fucking pathetic and a complete and utter failure, even a little tin pot club in croydon was able to retains theirs while simultaneously taking the piss.

caulkin's a cunt.

• Haha 2
  • Jaysus... 1

Aye well it was likely we would end up with a difficult window.

- Ashworth leaving with his laptop of players early in the year and Ratcliffe whinging for months meant we were on the back foot for transfers

- Amanda leaving and the PSR debacle in June likely affected targets, Mitchell and Bunce coming in. Most execs need a listening and learning period. I cant imagine Mitchell would be splashing the cash as soon as he got in the door like Adam Pearson in Hooters :D 

- We haven't had the luxury of selling £100m players like Brighton and West Ham to fund investment, and our turnover isnt good enough, Thanks to Mike Ashley for both of those! It is growing pretty quickly. We have a load of shite on the books on high wages and long contracts that nobody wants. Isaac Hayden ffs

- We have had no youth setup to help feed the PSR beast like Chelsea etc do. After years of underinvestment we have had a bit of wiggle room to spalsh a bit of money. If there was one think about Ashley, he ran a tight ship

Looking back, Amanda did a super job but have a niggling thought that she may have overstretched a little in terms of finances hence why we were where we were in June. We have had the double edged sword of a fantastic season under Eddie to get us to CL. Id rather have us build slowly over 5 years rather than do a Leicester City.

I think like a manager, Eales needs a season to prove himself out on his own. They seem to be building a proper management team, still remember when Charnley was doing the job of Eales, Stavely, Bunce, Mitchell and Kathy the tea lady. Aye its been a shit window but hoping the financial foundations are in place. Its delicate though as we dont want to lose Bruno etc

• Like 7

I've not read most of the thread from last night as I've been out on't push iron.  So only seen a few snippets.

The clickbait headlines by cunts like Chicken Nonce and Hope are just that and I am not paying any attention to them.  I am as disappointed as any fan, we all want the excitement of a big name coming in and all clubs, not just ours needs fresh blood in to keep the team competitive.  That's failed somewhat, but to pin point it onto Mitchell or Howe or Eales without any fucking insider knowledge is mad.  Someone said, it's the first disappointing window we have had under the new ownership and tbh, I am not shitting me kegs.  We have kept our big names, we have kept Eddie.  Like I said last night we have a new team in Mitchel etc and that's going to take time for bonds to be made etc.

Other teams around us last season bought big and we had one of the worse injury crisis I have seen at the club, whilst playing CL football and we still finished 7th above Man Utd.  AND.  If it wasn't for Man Utd winning the FA Cup we would have had Europe this season!  So let's all take a deep breathe and look forward to the next few months.  I still have trust in Eddie and the club. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, RobElliott said:

Aye well it was likely we would end up with a difficult window.

- Ashworth leaving with his laptop of players early in the year and Ratcliffe whinging for months meant we were on the back foot for transfers

- Amanda leaving and the PSR debacle in June likely affected targets, Mitchell and Bunce coming in. Most execs need a listening and learning period. I cant imagine Mitchell would be splashing the cash as soon as he got in the door like Adam Pearson in Hooters :D 

- We haven't had the luxury of selling £100m players like Brighton and West Ham to fund investment, and our turnover isnt good enough, Thanks to Mike Ashley for both of those! It is growing pretty quickly. We have a load of shite on the books on high wages and long contracts that nobody wants. Isaac Hayden ffs

- We have had no youth setup to help feed the PSR beast like Chelsea etc do. After years of underinvestment we have had a bit of wiggle room to spalsh a bit of money. If there was one think about Ashley, he ran a tight ship

Looking back, Amanda did a super job but have a niggling thought that she may have overstretched a little in terms of finances hence why we were where we were in June. We have had the double edged sword of a fantastic season under Eddie to get us to CL. Id rather have us build slowly over 5 years rather than do a Leicester City.

I think like a manager, Eales needs a season to prove himself out on his own. They seem to be building a proper management team, still remember when Charnley was doing the job of Eales, Stavely, Bunce, Mitchell and Kathy the tea lady. Aye its been a shit window but hoping the financial foundations are in place. Its delicate though as we dont want to lose Bruno etc

Spot on really. I think the slow building of the club within the rules is the aim. It’s not what fans want and may cost us some big names currently at the club, as players’ prime years are a relatively small amount of time and they’re the ones where we can bring in big money too. 
A point re: Staveley and her husband, a lot of people seem to think their departure is a big part of the reason our targets weren’t signed this window. I’m not sure how true that is, but even if it is, the same people seem to give them a free pass re: the PSR shortfall. 
Also re: Hope and his ‘sources’. There’s really no way of assessing their credibility. Is it very likely people with much sway have loose lips and are talking to journalists? These sorts of things tend to get embellished at each degree further from the real people in the know too. 
I’m not saying it was good window, but I think the only real error (because a lot of things are outside the club’s control) was not telling Palace to fuck off weeks ago. 

• Like 6

I do wonder at something Silverstone said or hinted at a few weeks ago regarding sponsorship deals, now he may have just been covering his own back or just being as sensible as anyone in his position would be but said we have to do deals which are in the club's best interests long-term rather than just taking anything on offer now which could be regretted later, (like us being stuck with castore and fun888), which I totally get but it had me wondering if they're confident they'll have more wriggle room in the near future if the rules are tweaked? That's just my wishful thinking admittedly but it's all we have at the minute. 

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, thebrokendoll said:

a whopping, whopping thindercunt.

Bit harsh on @RobElliott, thought it was a pretty decent summary tbf.  

Edited by trophyshy
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

I was reading a bit on I about PSR, and how to "fix" it. One piece really stuck out about shifting the likes of Almiron and Wilson:

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-market-broken-six-ways-fix-3251779

The primary factor in the decline of interest in older footballers is that they command huge wages. As football finance expert Dr Rob Wilson explains: “There is no value in transferring players in that 26 and up category, because they typically are expensive and come with significant wages.

“In terms of your PSR compliance, they don’t represent good value. The reason why we’ve seen a flurry in younger players, and certainly academy prospects, that have come through, is you book them as pure PSR profit, so that gives you some headroom, and that allows you then to go out and spend.

“Even if you put in a fairly significant transfer fee for young players, you can amortize that over the contract.”

And so the practical next step is for wages paid to players above 26 to drop sharply over the coming years in order to save their careers and rebalance the market. This may not be popular, but it will allow players to extend their careers and football to retain valuable experience and talent for much longer.

• Like 2

In regards to Almiron and Trippier I dont think it’s their age and their wages per se nut rather that they still are very valuable members of the team. It only does make sense if there already is a replacement but foolish to sell them and look for a replacement later.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Next time he’s in Aldi I hope the tins on corned beef fall on his head.

I hope he gets crushed trying to lift up four levels of bottles of tonic. Just so he could get the last two bottles of diet tonic on the bottom. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

In regards to Almiron and Trippier I dont think it’s their age and their wages per se nut rather that they still are very valuable members of the team. It only does make sense if there already is a replacement but foolish to sell them and look for a replacement later.

keeping trippier was really important, IMO

I’m happy we kept what we had.

I am disappointed we didn’t sign new.

If we weren’t able to go big on first team players, we should have spent some money on young lads who could come big in the future.

I think this is a legacy of older players nobody wants to buy from us in the end. We have quite a “big” squad in numbers. 

It’s been a weird one, ultimately I have to trust the management of the club. The improvement we have had in 3 years has been mental. We demand a club that tries? I think we have tried within our boundaries and it hasn’t worked for whatever reason. 

Win tomorrow and it’s been a great start to the season imo.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Like I said ;) 

Who could argue with your track record.

Wink Eye GIF by Nový start

5 hours ago, strawb said:

I’m happy we kept what we had.

I am disappointed we didn’t sign new.

If we weren’t able to go big on first team players, we should have spent some money on young lads who could come big in the future.

I think this is a legacy of older players nobody wants to buy from us in the end. We have quite a “big” squad in numbers. 

It’s been a weird one, ultimately I have to trust the management of the club. The improvement we have had in 3 years has been mental. We demand a club that tries? I think we have tried within our boundaries and it hasn’t worked for whatever reason. 

Win tomorrow and it’s been a great start to the season imo.

Agree, definitely no need for panic stations. We'd have had to be more active in the market if we were playing European football this season. The intent here was to thin down the squad to trim some fat and in that regards it has been a failure but not one to cause panic. It's hard to shift players who aren't good enough to play in the premier league but are on premier league wages. We have a strong team that's hard to improve without top level signings and they don't come cheaply. 

The bigger problem for me is that we do seem to be off in terms of our cohesion and leadership. This is a big match, on the back of the disappointing window a poor result could see tensions prematurely boil over. We can't afford to have a slow start.