Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

It’s the first transfer window since the takeover that has to be considered a failure, but I think people are a bit overreacting especially with blaming individuals. It’s not football manager and there always more than two parties involved in negotiations including agents and players.

I am pretty sure we were looking in several players, sometimes the clubs didn’t want to sell or demanding excessive fees, sometimes likely players weren’t interested or demanding excessive wages, sometimes a structure of a deal couldn’t get worked out or agents were asking excessive fees.

It is easy to say that we should have been able to at least finalise one or two deals without really knowing why we failed.

I do worry that people will act like spoiled brats though if performances don’t pick up and we get some poor results in the next couple of games. The atmosphere around the club could easily become quite toxic.

Edited by Isegrim
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

This from Hope, as he promised/trailed last night, is a fuckin doozy :lol: 

https://archive.is/zj0ZQ

I'm interested to see how the Hope haters respond to this. Is he talking shit and just a fucking liar, or is this a well sourced piece which confirms their own views? Tough spot for a Saturday morning. :lol:

• Haha 2

This, as far as I can make out, hasn’t been reported in this manner naming this individual before….

We have learnt that, when Jacobo Solis — a senior figure from the Saudi Public Investment Fund, the majority owners — asked questions over the day-to-day running of the club, Eales communicated that he could not do things as he would like because Staveley and Ghodoussi were too involved. It caused a split at the very top of the club, and Staveley and Ghodoussi felt they had no option but to sell their six per cent share and go. This, it is said, left them heartbroken.

Fake Surprised Season 8 GIF by Friends

• Sad 1

That article makes sense and explains a lot. It's so convincing that it makes me wonder why Hope works for the Mail at all.

It did not happen because Staveley brokered the £33m sale of Yankuba Minteh to Brighton and Elliot Anderson — much to the player and Howe’s disappointment — was sold to Forest for £35m. However, the latter was only possible because Newcastle agreed to take Greek goalkeeper Odysseas Vlachodimos for an eight-figure fee that we are told would ‘make your eyes water’. The Magpies have since tried to send him out on loan.

don't believe a word of it.  :lol:

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It’s the first transfer window since the takeover that has to be considered a failure, 

Apart from January when we failed to sign a desperately needed midfielder who might have got us into Europe. 

1 minute ago, NJS said:

Apart from January when we failed to sign a desperately needed midfielder who might have got us into Europe. 

Given how fucked we were at the end of June it’s obvious why we signed no one in January.

• Like 1

It does tie in with Staveley saying they had to go because they were too involved but couldn’t stay on as it’s not in their personalities to take a back seat.

Despite all truths Hope does like to sensationalise and dramatise things though. I guess the truth about things is somewhere in the middle.

I do agree that forcing out Staveley never seemed wise to me.

I am also not optimistic about Howe rejecting England in case he gets an offer.

3 minutes ago, NJS said:

I knew someone would point to January, but it is always a very difficult time to sign top players in midseason. We did also not have any money to spend then. It would have needed a miracle to sort something out then.

• Like 2

That power was handed to sporting director Paul Mitchell. In the words of chief executive Eales, 90 per cent of Mitchell’s role is recruitment. In his first window, Newcastle have failed to sign a single player who improves the first team.

Aye

1 hour ago, Isegrim said:

I think people are a bit overreacting especially with blaming individuals.

I think it is perfectly fair to hold the individuals in charge of the transfers responsible for failing to get transfers done. I think it is also possible to simultaneously accept that there were difficulties involved in getting the transfers done. I'm certain every transfer window poses challenges of its own kind. Perhaps the first one was worse when we were bottom of the league, nailed on for relegation, etc. etc. But we managed to sign some impressive players. Anyway that's just a hypothetical example.

From my perspective, I accept that there were challenges to be overcome. But I think they could've been overcome like similar difficulties have been overcome in the past. Perhaps Mitchell was naive in his assessment that he had a good relationship with Parish. Perhaps he should've read the writing on the wall with every iota of the transfer story being leaked to the press at every turn that him and Eales were being setup to look like fools. Maybe. We can't say either way but it's possible.

The point is that there are too many variables for us to accurately assess the differences between reasons for failure and excuses. That's why in this domain the results are typically taken to be king. With poor results there is a burden of responsibility for failure placed on the individuals most responsible. From my perspective, this is no different to a head coach getting criticised for a run of poor results. Rightly or wrongly it's the way it is.

I'm repeating myself largely from an earlier post. But anyway I absolutely agree with the last part of your post. I also hope people don't start behaving like spoiled brats. We are in an amazing position as a club compared to where we were. I really do think we have the right people in charge and I don't want them sacked or anything even remotely close to having their positions put in jeopardy. I also fear that the mongs could turn on the club's hierarchy and make things toxic if we don't perform well on the pitch. That's the last thing we need. At the end of the day, I mostly agree that the situation we've been placed in by PSR is incredibly incredibly difficult. I just think that we can blame certain individuals responsible (on a message board where it is of absolutely zero consequence) and still support them at the same time to continue in the job because they're the best person for it.

tl;dr: I have every confidence that we have people in key positions who are capable of learning fast and adapting. But they're personally responsible for this fuck up because it's part of their job to do everything possible to recruit players.

Edited by toonotl
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dougle said:

That power was handed to sporting director Paul Mitchell. In the words of chief executive Eales, 90 per cent of Mitchell’s role is recruitment. In his first window, Newcastle have failed to sign a single player who improves the first team.

Aye

it's worse than that, they've both sneaked back in...

20240831_085450.jpg

20240831_085600.jpg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

I'm interested to see how the Hope haters respond to this. Is he talking shit and just a fucking liar, or is this a well sourced piece which confirms their own views? Tough spot for a Saturday morning. :lol:

It’s a pile of negative click farming shite.

Split at the top of the club, bollocks, PIF are in charge, what they say goes. So we have to believe because of some conflict Amanda/Mehrdad decided to can their investment in an appreciating asset, yeah right. Way more likely - there’s no way they could raise their necessary share of the upcoming stadium investment.

They were shareholders, Eales is an employee, at worst they could have been told by PIF to step back a bit from the nitty gritty but instead they decided to flounce with tears in their eyes, nope, not having it.

If Caulkin says anything, likely to be more from the horses mouth as he was tight with Amanda/Mehrdad during the takeover, but Hope, fuck off man 😂

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, toonotl said:

tl;dr: I have every confidence that we have people in key positions who are capable of learning fast and adapting. But they're personally responsible for this fuck up because it's part of their job to do everything possible to recruit players.

I don’t consider it a fuck up tbh, a fuck up would have been buying some player out of desperation who turned out to be a billy big bollocks and he destroyed the squad harmony/mentality the fans would have been happy though.

We have criteria we want in players coming in/the resultant financials, to not compromise that is a decision, not a mistake. 

The club officials are paid the big money to make those decisions and the results of those decisions have career defining repercussions, they won’t take them lightly and I would hope not emotionally either.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

If Caulkin says anything, likely to be more from the horses mouth as he was tight with Amanda/Mehrdad during the takeover, but Hope, fuck off man 😂

“As we grew, we brought in an executive team and Darren Eales (the chief executive), but we were very much at the coalface because Newcastle was still under-resourced. As the club continues to expand it needs a management team that can be left to do their jobs. I’ve read on social media that there’s been some kind of fallout but that’s rubbish. I love my colleagues. It just became unfair for us to constantly be there.”

“No, that’s absolute rubbish,” she says. “I’m heartbroken not to be there because I love the club more than anything; the fans, the community, everything. And I would wish to be there every day, but it’s also not fair. The club’s management team need to have the chance to deliver their business plan. We did a great job and it’s been a privilege to be part of it, but they need to be left to do their jobs, too.

“Maybe we were right for Newcastle for those few years. Maybe that’s what they needed. But I’d be useless just standing there doing nothing and it wouldn’t be fair on Darren if we’re always there telling them what we think. There’s processes and accountability and they’ll figure it out.”

That’s what Staveley said to Caulkin.

• Like 1