Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Nah, the "PSR scramble" was well handled imo. They got rid of two fringe players and cleared £60m of PSR profit. The fact it happened on the final day is neither here nor there for that. We got the business done that needed done and we didn't lose any of our big players. 

I agree. They did what they needed to do. It was disappointing to lose both players but PSR meant we had to shift someone and they were the least worst option. There would have been hell on if it was Bruno, Gordon or Isak sold instead.

What has followed has been really disappointing though. Not a single player in to improve the first team when there was clearly money to spend is piss poor 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

macdonald to arsenal

waddle to tottenham 

beardsley to liverpool 

gascoigne to tottenham 

cole to man utd

lee bowyer

vernon anita

etc etc etc...

vlachodimos £22m, june 2024

the worst transfer window in newcastle living memory??

yes, I believe it is.   :lol:

• Haha 3

Anita was absolute dogshit but at least he was (ostensibly) a first-team player. We've bought nobody for the first team and have instead dredged up an ancient relic, signed a fifth-choice keeper that nobody wants and who in all likelihood will never appear in our colours, and brought in a covering CB on a free. PSR or no PSR it is an abject failure. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

Anita was absolute dogshit but at least he was (ostensibly) a first-team player. We've bought nobody for the first team and have instead dredged up an ancient relic, signed a fifth-choice keeper that nobody wants and who in all likelihood will never appear in our colours, and brought in a covering CB on a free. PSR or no PSR it is an abject failure. 

someone has fucked uo somewhere. What will the chairman make of it?

17 minutes ago, acrossthepond said:

Kelly? 

Hall? 

Are these not going  to be first team players? 

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Kelly? 

Hall? 

Are these not going  to be first team players? 

Hall, yes. He improves the first team. But he was signed last year. If you’re counting him, why didn’t we try for a loan to buy this window, kicking the fee into next year? Kelly has been signed as a rotation option. I don’t think he improves the first team.  

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Hall, yes. He improves the first team. But he was signed last year. If you’re counting him, why didn’t we try for a loan to buy this window, kicking the fee into next year? Kelly has been signed as a rotation option. I don’t think he improves the first team.  

Kelly is a weird one. I think he has potential to reach England squad (as. CB) but we have Botman first choice at LCB then Burn seemingly second.  

It's a squad game though. Last season it showed how paper thin our squad was. Yes we need starters Fo Sho. But would I rather have Hall / Kelly over a crippled Dummett? Yes. 

• Like 3

I think the key to improving is that you get players that will get into the first XI and they (eg Burn) take (eg Dummetts) their  spot.

Swapping backup for backup gets us nowhere.

Absolute shocker of a summer. Many of the justifications given have some weight to them but if you had asked anyone at the start of June how many first team players we will sign most of us would have said 2-3, some might have cautioned realism and said 1-2. Absolutely no one would have thought zero first team signings. 

No more point crying over it I suppose. Over to Howe to provide more miracles, and pray absolutely pray that we dont get injuries to Isak and Bruno because if that happens we are a mid table outfit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Absolute shocker of a summer. Many of the justifications given have some weight to them but if you had asked anyone at the start of June how many first team players we will sign most of us would have said 2-3, some might have cautioned realism and said 1-2. Absolutely no one would have thought zero first team signings. 

No more point crying over it I suppose. Over to Howe to provide more miracles, and pray absolutely pray that we dont get injuries to Isak and Bruno because if that happens we are a mid table outfit. 

With a great season we can get 6th. Otherwise it’s about 8-10 with current squad. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

It's a squad game though. Last season it showed how paper thin our squad was. Yes we need starters Fo Sho. But would I rather have Hall / Kelly over a crippled Dummett? Yes. 

you need to sign squad players that Improve the squad - Kelly fits that brief because he’s better than Dummett. 

you also need to sign players that improve the first team. We haven’t managed one of those. 

6 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

With a great season we can get 6th. Otherwise it’s about 8-10 with current squad. 

7th-8th is about par this season now, I reckon. seventh felt like we regressed last season but there was mitigation. We overachieved the previous season and were hit with a massive injury crisis and had all the extra fixtures and rotten luck in the cup draws. 

this season felt like an opportunity. No European fixtures, a bloated champions league putting extra strain on our rivals. A signing or two would have given a much needed boost after a stuttering start to the season in terms of form.

the game on Sunday feels massive all of a sudden. We’ll be going into it with an uneasy fan base where a signing or two would have galvanised the crowd.

31 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

If you’re counting him, why didn’t we try for a loan to buy this window, kicking the fee into next year?

We probably did. Or none of our targets were available on this sort of deal. 

I doubt anybody workshopping ideas on here is coming up with things that the actual DoF hasn't thought of. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gemmill said:

I doubt anybody workshopping ideas on here is coming up with things that the actual DoF hasn't thought of. 

Maybe they should have bid for Elanga last week if they really wanted him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

what is the point of our new DoF? Genuine question. Isn’t he supposed to be shit hot at identifying and signing talent? If that is the case, he’s had a bit of a shocker because the one outfield player we put any cash down for (Osula) was apparently Tindall’s pick

12 hours ago, ewerk said:

Right, my sit in protest has begun and I’m not moving until we sign some cunt.

IMG_0669.jpeg

I’ll be honest, at this stage it’s both a wet and dirty protest.

IMG_0671.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

that had “couldn’t get it over the line” written all over it.  

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

You know why they didn't though, don't you? :lol:

Before posting this stuff, picture yourself standing in front of Howe and Mitchell going "Come on guys, why didn't you get someone on a loan with an obligation to buy deal? Why didn't you bid for Elanga last week?! Why couldn't YOU think of all this great stuff I'm coming up with?!" 

Imagine the look on both of their faces. 

And then don't post it. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

what is the point of our new DoF? Genuine question. Isn’t he supposed to be shit hot at identifying and signing talent? If that is the case, he’s had a bit of a shocker because the one outfield player we put any cash down for (Osula) was apparently Tindall’s pick

:lol:

He's had a fucking stinker man. I've said. But it won't be for lack of trying. I'm gonna at least suppose that the bloke knows what he's doing and has been trying everything he can to bring our targets in. 

• Like 1