Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

It would be nice if  Elanga is just a smokescreen, but you'd have to be bordering on psychotically optimistic to believe there's any chance of that.  

That thought didn’t enter my mind…. you sir, though…. 😆

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Do we spend in Jan? Suppose 4 month is a long way to go and depends on a lot of things.

We probably won’t know before January 31st tbh.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

As always I am amazed how different the approach to deadline day is in England and Germany.

Have you met the English?  

• Haha 1

This looks shite cos of the Ashworth/Staveley thing too. Successive very professionally run windows, where we had our business done before deadline day, and now this. 

The fact Ashworth wasn't involved in our best window since the takeover won't matter to the narrative.

We've gone from looking like a proper outfit to looking a bit shite following Ashworth and Staveley's departures. I'm not suggesting we're fucked without these two or anything. I'm just saying we're gonna be hearing some "what's going wrong at Newcastle?" stuff. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

This looks shite cos of the Ashworth/Staveley thing too. Successive very professionally run windows, where we had our business done before deadline day, and now this. 

The fact Ashworth wasn't involved in our best window since the takeover won't matter to the narrative.

We've gone from looking like a proper outfit to looking a bit shite following Ashworth and Staveley's departures. I'm not suggesting we're fucked without these two or anything. I'm just saying we're gonna be hearing some "what's going wrong at Newcastle?" stuff. 

That;s exactly how the gammons are going to see it.  But, get a decent few games strung together and people will forget about it.

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

That;s exactly how the gammons are going to see it.  But, get a decent few games strung together and people will forget about it.

what happens if we lose a few?

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

who is to say this isn’t true? We don’t know either way.

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

who is to say this isn’t true? We don’t know either way.

Mitchell hasn't just become a bad DoF overnight, I'm sure. We'll see though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

what happens if we lose a few?

Then they wont forget it :lol:

Yeh getting Geuhi in would have given the squad a lift and a boost in quality, but he is one player.  Likewise RW postion.

• Haha 1

I'm more waiting on the gammons* on here when Burn gets crocked and we have no CB and they trot out a bairn in Murphy and he's not ready.

*You're not really Gloomy 😘

Just now, wykikitoon said:

I'm more waiting on the gammons* on here when Burn gets crocked and we have no CB and they trot out a bairn in Murphy and he's not ready.

*You're not really Gloomy 😘

Kelly is the replacement for Burn. And he is probably a better player overall but Burn is playing well this season. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Kelly is the replacement for Burn. And he is probably a better player overall but Burn is playing well this season. 

Yeh he's started pretty solid has Burn which is good to see.

38 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Aye, this was evidenced by the last minute PSR scramble, and now the same thing is repeating on deadline day. Didn't learn much in 2 months did we, you just hope they get their act together from here on. 

First time since the takeover you feel like we've gone backwards.

1 minute ago, aimaad22 said:

Aye, this was evidenced by the last minute PSR scramble, and now the same thing is repeating on deadline day. Didn't learn much in 2 months did we, you just hope they get their act together from here on. 

First time since the takeover you feel like we've gone backwards.

Nah, the "PSR scramble" was well handled imo. They got rid of two fringe players and cleared £60m of PSR profit. The fact it happened on the final day is neither here nor there for that. We got the business done that needed done and we didn't lose any of our big players. 

Wonder if we’re one of the 4 as yet unnamed clubs in for Reiss Nelson. Seems like something we’d do tbh

Just now, Gemmill said:

Nah, the "PSR scramble" was well handled imo. They got rid of two fringe players and cleared £60m of PSR profit. The fact it happened on the final day is neither here nor there for that. We got the business done that needed done and we didn't lose any of our big players. 

Fact we left it till the last day was a bit desperate wasn't it? It could have clearly gone tits up which is why Gordon was being touted. I get why we had to move along Minteh and Anderson, probably the best we could do in the circumstances, but the last day scramble just shows you we aren't as sorted out as we'd come to expect. 

Nah, it doesn't. The buying clubs know they're trying to pick up bargains off PSR fucked clubs. Maximum point of leverage is the last day of the "PSR window". They deserve credit for sorting it and they deserve the opposite for everything that's happened since. 

It’s rarely good to leave things until the last moment. But as with the transfer dealings I am unsure how much if it is really down to a lack of competence. We had to sign players knowing that would put us in a bad position in regards to psr. We do also still suffer from years of mismanagement. We don’t have saleable assets, at least none we actually want to get rid off. We also can’t force other clubs to sign our players. There is only so much you can actually do. Obviously there are players like Almiron who could get sold, but I understand the reluctance to do it without having a suitable replacement in place who will improve us.

I do also think that a clubs are still reluctant to deal with us and especially do us favours. We are rich on paper and got a pretty bad reputation because of our owners. I can imagine that does dealing with other clubs still difficult, especially in England. People like Parish probably feel happy to hamper our progress as much as possible. That’s why we still get those regulations that are foremost in place to hurt us.

• Like 2