Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

I see Howe shot down, Hope's was it?, nonsense about him being fixated on Guehi and therefore not allowing Mitchell to sign an alternative once negotiations broke down with Palace. According to Howe we've tried to sign several alternatives. 

Edited by Polarboy

11 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The has beens and never were's still taking up squad spaces while 2 players with a big future are in starting spots for rival clubs 

It's PSR PROFIT that we have to make on players. You can't make that on has beens and never weres. 

That's the fault of the rules, not the people running the club. 

• Like 1

People can spin it any way they want, but having Burn, Kelly, Krafth and Lascelles as backup CBs, whilst Botman is the only real upgrade we've signed in that department since Schar (12 transfer windows ago!) is not befitting of a team supposedly wanting to challenge for the title. 

The fans keep their end of the bargain. Spend their money on tickets, pointless memberships, £80 a pop for 3 new shirts, a new clothing range launched on a monthly basis, pre season friendlies at the opposite end of the planet. 

We are entitled to be pissed off when the likes of Brighton and West Ham pump

investment into their squads and we are left speculating about a 6th GK in the closing hours of the window. 

Scroll back to the start of this thread. There was near universal agreement that we needed long term replacements/competition for Wilson, Schar and Pope. A decent GK, RW and CF would have been a good window. We've ended up with none of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

People can spin it any way they want, but having Burn, Kelly, Krafth and Lascelles as backup CBs, whilst Botman is the only real upgrade we've signed in that department since Schar (12 transfer windows ago!) is not befitting of a team supposedly wanting to challenge for the title. 

The fans keep their end of the bargain. Spend their money on tickets, pointless memberships, £80 a pop for 3 new shirts, a new clothing range launched on a monthly basis, pre season friendlies at the opposite end of the planet. 

investment into their squads and we are left speculating about a 6th GK in the closing hours of the window. 

Scroll back to the start of this thread. There was near universal agreement that we needed long term replacements/competition for Wilson, Schar and Pope. A decent GK, RW and CF would have been a good window. We've ended up with none of them.

If PSR didn't exist you'd be spot on. But it does, so you're not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

we sacrificed two promising young players to comply with psr and start a new rolling period.

what's happened in the subsequent 2 months had been fucking pathetic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

PSR doesn’t seem to have stoppes the clubs around us improving their first team. Clearly our progress has been hindered by rules designed to do exactly that. But to not sign a single player for the first team? Feels like someone has fucked up somewhere 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

PSR doesn’t seem to have stoppes the clubs around us improving their first team. Clearly our progress has been hindered by rules designed to do exactly that. But to not sign a single player for the first team? Feels like someone has fucked up somewhere 

I wonder if they've got different accumulated PSR losses to us. It couldn't be that, could it? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Is 2024 officially the year when you can't have a moan about your club without captain sensibles patronising you? 

Fine. Wallow in misery about things that you know perfectly well had to happen to avoid a points deduction. I'm sorry for having to be sensible and point this out FOR THE HUNDREDTH FUCKING TIME. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I wonder if they've got different accumulated PSR losses to us. It couldn't be that, could it? 

PSR hasn’t stopped us from signing anyone.

• Like 1

Genuine question, as I cannot be bothered to Google and spend ages trying to understand it, would we get a bigger points deduction if we spent way more? E.g. if we knew we were £20m over, would it be worthwhile just going and spending another £300m and taking the hit?

17 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Look at what sales Brighton and West Ham have had in the last couple of windows.  We unfortunately maybe looking at one of our stars going next summer to be able to compete.

• Like 1

Just now, Kid Dynamite said:

Brighton for example can spend now because they've made several hundred million in player sales in recent years, having paid less than a quarter, or thereabouts, for said players. The new owners have come in and the only good thing you could say about Ashley in terms of PSR was that there wasn't much debt on the books. PIF et al have basically had to start from scratch in terms of academy player development, which of course is crucial for creating profit, the commercial sponsors end of things, and just generally getting into a decent position for trading players. Ashley left a squad partially made up of tat who were on ridiculously long term contracts, therefore almost impossible to get rid of, and who generate next to no profit. The PSR rules are far too stringent, so we'll either have to be very patient and wait for our commercial, academy and player trading to start feeding substantial money into the coffers, or pray that the rules are substainally slackened. I want to be able to throw a sausage up the PSR alley 😉 Of course some of the "top six" will likely fight tooth and nail to prevent anything that might challenge their hegemony. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

PSR hasn’t stopped us from signing anyone.

It forced us to sell those two players and it's stopped us from "pumping investment" like other clubs around us cos we have different PSR losses. 

I'm not happy that we haven't signed anyone, and I'm not making excuses for it, but do we have to go back and relitigate the unavoidable PSR sales. 

Next season we should just take a points deduction and people can moan about why no one at the club did anything about it. 

PSR is the source of all of our frustration. It's what meant that we didn't sign a RW while we were focused on Guehi cos there was only money for one. The focus on Guehi and Guehi only is for someone at the club to explain, but the rest is a function of PSR. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

It forced us to sell those two players and it's stopped us from "pumping investment" like other clubs around us cos we have different PSR losses. 

I'm not happy that we haven't signed anyone, and I'm not making excuses for it, but do we have to go back and relitigate the unavoidable PSR sales. 

Next season we should just take a points deduction and people can moan about why no one at the club did anything about it. 

PSR is the source of all of our frustration. It's what meant that we didn't sign a RW while we were focused on Guehi cos there was only money for one. The focus on Guehi and Guehi only is for someone at the club to explain, but the rest is a function of PSR. 

I understand the PSR sales, they ended up unavoidable.

But clearly we did have money to spend this summer but the people at the club now in charge of spending it were unable to do so which is a massive fuck up.

Just now, Gemmill said:

The focus on Guehi and Guehi only is for someone at the club to explain, but the rest is a function of PSR. 

Howe has denied that we put our entire focus on Guehi, and said that we tried to sign several alternatives. 

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

we apparently had £70m to spend on Guehi, so it isn’t psr that prevented us signing anyone. It’s the people at the top of the club’s failure to get deals done - whether you blame Eales, Mitchell, Howe, or our Saudi overlords is up for debate. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

Just now, ewerk said:

I understand the PSR sales, they ended up unavoidable.

But clearly we did have money to spend this summer but the people at the club now in charge of spending it were unable to do so which is a massive fuck up.

And I've said as much. But KD came into the thread saying that the outgoings have been as farcical as the incomings. And then complained that we weren't matching Brighton and West Ham, both of whom have sold players for £100m+ in recent windows. 

And then complained that I wasn't just letting him get away with it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

we apparently had £70m to spend on Guehi, so it isn’t psr that prevented us signing anyone. It’s the people at the top of the club’s failure to get deals done - whether you blame Eales, Mitchell, Howe, or our Saudi team overlords is up for debate. 

Yes. I've said. If we don't sign anyone today then focusing on Guehi to the exclusion of anyone else has been a mistake. And Mitchell has had a personal fucking stinker as his first transfer window. 

Just now, Gemmill said:

Yes. I've said. If we don't sign anyone today then focusing on Guehi to the exclusion of anyone else has been a mistake. And Mitchell has had a personal fucking stinker as his first transfer window. 

That's IF we've focused on Guehi to the exclusion of anyone else. 

As @Polarboypointed out, Howe has said we didn't.

I do wonder though whether we watched other players that we liked go to other clubs because we thought we were gonna get Guehi. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Look at what sales Brighton and West Ham have had in the last couple of windows.  We unfortunately maybe looking at one of our stars going next summer to be able to compete.

I suspect that was the thinking on Gordon being touted to Liverpool. £100m for him with Barnes waiting in the wings.

Id argue that Isak is irreplaceable. Which only leaves Tonali, Bruno and Joelinton who would realistically be worth >£50m. 

• Like 1

In regards to who is to blame, it could also be that it's just tough to get the level of player that we're after given our current position in terms of not being in Europe, lacking funds for big wages etc, and as Howe said there's really only a pool of 4 or 5 players for each position you're looking at that can substantially improve the team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1