Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

The market seems quite difficult this summer. Just from my itkledge from Stuttgart where I live. Despite qualifying for the CL they lost important players but haven’t really be able to sign adequate replacements for various reasons despite huge efforts.

Even Bayern struggled despite having absolutely no problems regarding money and reputation. Their fans are livid as they only lost players, especially de Ligt, but haven’t been able to make a real statement signing. They tried to sign Tah from Leverkusen but got parished so far.

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Oldest shittest joke since the formation of transfer windows, nice one for not only digging up its unfunny corpse on Twitter but posting it here too.

• Haha 10

Just now, strawb said:

Oldest shittest joke since the formation of transfer windows, nice one for not only digging up its unfunny corpse on Twitter but posting it here too.

You’re welcome, eeyore   

Lads. I think we have to have perspective.

It's important to make a correct analysis.

Let's see. The market may really seem disappointing to us. But let's take it step by step.

First of all, we know that we had to sell for a high amount because we were threatened with losing points if we didn't do it, as happened to Everton last year. We got rid of two projects like Minteh or Anderson who have not yet exploded and have not had time to prove anything. It could have been worse. Bruno or Gordon were in the rumours to leave.

Secondly... Not all markets can afford to spend a lot of money. After many years without doing so under Ashley's command, the situation has now changed. In recent years we have made many expensive investments. Gordon, Barnes, Isak, Bruno, Hall, Botman, even Joelinton if we go a little further back. That is unsustainable.

In the 2021-22 season we were fighting relegation... Remember the first 15 games, which we didn't win any of.

The 'problem' is that in the 2022-23 season we finished in the Big Four positions... We performed way above our possibilities. And now it seems to us that we have taken two steps backwards when we finished seventh.

We have been in absolute shit for many years. Now it is time to enjoy, but enjoy it wisely. This is a long-term project. This year we have had a couple of structural potholes. Amanda has left and we have changed our DOF.

We really had very few arguments to improve the team. We all agree that the right flank should be reinforced, but perhaps there is no good player on the market that the board likes and they prefer to wait and save that money so that he is the big bet for next year.

I have not followed Mitchell's work, but I know that he is a good worker, that he is the man who has discovered players like Sadio Mane for Southampton. He is the man who turned Tottenham into a Champions League finalist with signings like Trippier, Son, Alderweireld or Dele Alli. He is the man who has worked at Leipzig and signed players like Nkunku, Dani Olmo, Mukiele, Haidara (not Massadio), Matheus Cunha when they were unknown.

He discovered Disasi for Monaco, he gambled on Caio Henrique for a very low price.

We will be patient.

Big projects take years to build. Now we have to lay the foundation.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

It's a whole new team in place and it's setting the proper foundations for years to come. It's going to take time to form.

Failure to sign a first team player in three months is more than a failure to form. It’s a complete failure.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Failure to sign a first team player in three months is more than a failure to form. It’s a complete failure.

It’s obviously a complete failure. The question is the actual degree of fault though.

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You’re welcome, eeyore   

Don’t know how you dare call anyone Eeyore the way you are whinging on about the transfer window mind. 

Liked a dumped teenage lass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, strawb said:

Don’t know how you dare call anyone Eeyore the way you are whinging on about the transfer window mind. 

Liked a dumped teenage lass.

I'm calling you eeyore because of the tone of your posts - they’re not very fun. Chill 

You can think the shitty window is justified or perhaps inevitable, might not be correct but of course you can think it. 

But you can't expect people to be happy about it man :lol: Its okay to whinge once in a while, let the steam out

That of course, as always, excludes the Twitter numpties who are not worth the time whatever the situation.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Lads. I think we have to have perspective.

It's important to make a correct analysis.

Let's see. The market may really seem disappointing to us. But let's take it step by step.

First of all, we know that we had to sell for a high amount because we were threatened with losing points if we didn't do it, as happened to Everton last year. We got rid of two projects like Minteh or Anderson who have not yet exploded and have not had time to prove anything. It could have been worse. Bruno or Gordon were in the rumours to leave.

Secondly... Not all markets can afford to spend a lot of money. After many years without doing so under Ashley's command, the situation has now changed. In recent years we have made many expensive investments. Gordon, Barnes, Isak, Bruno, Hall, Botman, even Joelinton if we go a little further back. That is unsustainable.

In the 2021-22 season we were fighting relegation... Remember the first 15 games, which we didn't win any of.

The 'problem' is that in the 2022-23 season we finished in the Big Four positions... We performed way above our possibilities. And now it seems to us that we have taken two steps backwards when we finished seventh.

We have been in absolute shit for many years. Now it is time to enjoy, but enjoy it wisely. This is a long-term project. This year we have had a couple of structural potholes. Amanda has left and we have changed our DOF.

We really had very few arguments to improve the team. We all agree that the right flank should be reinforced, but perhaps there is no good player on the market that the board likes and they prefer to wait and save that money so that he is the big bet for next year.

I have not followed Mitchell's work, but I know that he is a good worker, that he is the man who has discovered players like Sadio Mane for Southampton. He is the man who turned Tottenham into a Champions League finalist with signings like Trippier, Son, Alderweireld or Dele Alli. He is the man who has worked at Leipzig and signed players like Nkunku, Dani Olmo, Mukiele, Haidara (not Massadio), Matheus Cunha when they were unknown.

He discovered Disasi for Monaco, he gambled on Caio Henrique for a very low price.

We will be patient.

Big projects take years to build. Now we have to lay the foundation.

far too reasonable. We want signings! 

• Haha 3

Hopefully this means we’ll supersize our order in January. 

The worry for me is what message it sends to the likes of Isak, Tonali, Bruno etc… who were sold on a “project”. 

Moot point if we finish top 4 of course but on recent displays that seems highly unlikely. 

24 minutes ago, MrBass said:

Hopefully this means we’ll supersize our order in January. 

The worry for me is what message it sends to the likes of Isak, Tonali, Bruno etc… who were sold on a “project”. 

Moot point if we finish top 4 of course but on recent displays that seems highly unlikely. 

Worth remembering that those lads are in the club and can talk to Howe and the management team about this stuff if they want to, the definitely know whats happening and none of them have agitated for a move. (yet)

We're out here, essentially relying on unreliable people and piecing together what we think is happening. 

• Like 4

That's true. But actions speak louder than words. The transfer market and the pitch are the two places where statements of ambition have ultimate worth.

It does surprise me, the shit Everton are in why we haven't tried for Branthwaite. I can only assume is because Man Utd wanted him and there would be a bidding 'war' 

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Ornstien on this is football poddy this morning. Very good. 

and ??????

Very good at what ? Baking cakes, carpentry, crochet, juggling ? what is the very good about ? Your post tells me nothing !!!!!

• Haha 4