Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

Why are we debating the merits of a left winger on £325k pw when we already have Gordon and Barnes fighting over that position? 

I know we could play him out of position on the RW, but we might as well play Barnes or Gordon there if we are going to do that 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

We ideally get a right winger who combines Miggy’s work rate in the press with finishing and assists. They don’t grow on trees and cost a pretty penny

That's Jarrod Bowen. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Which is why we haven't signed him. Kulusevski has the next highest presses for a RW iirc

Kulusevski would be another £80m minimum - plus having to deal with Levy.

Setting aside the insurmountable issue of his wages, the problem with Sterling is that he feels like the sort of player that will treat us like a semi-retirement home. He's done his trophies at City, he got his big payday at Chelsea, and realistically he'd be coming here with a very small chance of doing anything other than top 4 finishes. 

I doubt those are the conditions that would get the best out of him. This isn't a slight on his character btw, I'm just talking about how a bloke that has won the domestic treble, a few PL titles, etc, gets himself up for "the big push for top 4" in his 30s.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

wingers win you games, particularly away from home where we dropped so many points last season. I know we disagree here but I would be throwing more money at the RW problem than at CB, where we are well stocked when everyone is fit. I’d prefer a stop gap signing or loan at CB and a marquee RW rather than the other way around 

We're not fit and won't be until into next year though, even if we were, we're getting old at CB.

We scored 85 goals last season even with supposedly shit right wingers. but we conceded 62, the latter is a MUCH bigger problem than the former IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

We're not fit and won't be until into next year though, even if we were, we're getting old at CB.

We scored 85 goals last season even with supposedly shit right wingers. but we conceded 62, the latter is a MUCH bigger problem than the former IMO. 

We didn't concede 62 goals because we should have spent £70m on a £40m centreback in Guehi.

We conceded 62 not because of the paucity of talent, or poor coaching. It's because we had our first choice centre back missing for great swathes of the season, our integral goalkeeper missed half the season, our midfield was either absent, or limping along exhausted.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Top 50 players with the most presses last season

IMG_2549.thumb.png.1d0aa0a064245bd16391f7b7dc88e050.png

IMG_2550.thumb.png.8f38c8e3508da48cadfc4217d148be37.png

IMG_2551.thumb.png.323a8abd77cae2223d647f626549314c.png
IMG_2552.thumb.png.20fd9f79f9b3a153eeb200ec061f5350.png

IMG_2553.thumb.png.4cba48a1e147a171c4c6384996739f0b.png

I notice that the greatest footballer in history, Cole Palmer, isn’t in there. Maybe Poch didn’t demand pressing from his front players?

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We didn't concede 62 goals because we should have spent £70m on a £40m centreback in Guehi.

We conceded 62 not because of the paucity of talent, or poor coaching. It's because we had our first choice centre back missing for great swathes of the season, our integral goalkeeper missed half the season, our midfield was either absent, or limping along exhausted.

You mitigate that how exactly ? (coz the fucker's going to miss a shitload of this one too and his condition upon return is not guaranteed) Oh a new RW would have sorted that, how silly of me.

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

we conceded loads of goals last season because teams were carving through our midfield of Miley, longstaff and Bruno who were all dead on their feet playing two games a week with no rotation. We should avoid that happening again if we avoid another injury crisis, which hopefully we will without the extra european fixtures. 

There’s nowt wrong with our CBs. The same defence was watertight the previous season when the players in front of them weren’t all dead on their feet. There is plenty wrong with our options at RW.

I’d much rather spunk £70m on Mbeumo or a Bowen and get a stopgap signing or loan at centre back rather then the other way around. But it looks like the powers that he disagree. 

Unless they’re keeping their powder dry for a £120m splurge on deadline day - seems unlikely given psr but if we shift Trippier and Miggy for decent money, you never know 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Pope and the midfield were the main issues. We defended 20 yards deeper than we did the previous season because dubs can’t sweep, leaving a massive hole between our back line and midfield for opponents to easily exploit and the midfield were all goosed and couldn’t play with the same intensity. Big Jam and Krafth both did well as reserve CBs when called upon. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Having said all that, I do understand why they want Guehi - they’re planning for the future and Schar won’t be at this level forever. I just don’t think it’s as big a priority as RW, where we still have two players who played for Bruce fighting for the starting spot. Both honest players but neither really good enough three years into the takeover. It’s time to upgrade that spot as it’s the only area which hasn’t been improved since the saudis came in 

Edited by Dr Gloom

As in other windows, we are focusing on the SPECIFIC players we've identified in the areas we need to improve. We totally do need to improve the defence btw. 

I think we know we won't get Guehi when he's signing pre-contracts, cos we won't pay him the sort of wage others will offer in those circumstances. We want him, and it's now or never, so we're paying his post-Euros cost because that's how highly we value filling the right sided CB slot with a young bloke with PL experience. 

If one of our right wing targets is available for the right money in this window, I'm sure we're currently trying to sign them too. 

The idea that we are somehow foregoing [UNNAMED RW] by "wasting" the money on Guehi is stupidly simplistic. The notion that we can just take that money and apply it to a different position when we have no idea what the targets are that we have in that area, or what the wage demands would he for a £70m [UNNAMED RW]. 

We don't know who the RW targets are and what their cost is. But it sounds like we are actively trying to bring one of them in AT THE SAME TIME as we are trying to sign Guehi. Maybe it's not one or the other at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mbeumo again. :lol:

The bloke is 5 foot 7 man. We're not going back to the Ryan Fraser dwarf on the wing days. 

And you don't want to spend £70m on Guehi but you'd like to spend it on Mbeumo?!

?!

?

!

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

There's no one going to pay that and he made clear in his statement that he expects his money so unless Chelsea are going to subsidise his wages he's sitting in the reserves all season costing them £17m a year.

I'm content with that outcome, tbh. :cuppa:

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Mbeumo again. :lol:

The bloke is 5 foot 7 man. We're not going back to the Ryan Fraser dwarf on the wing days. 

And you don't want to spend £70m on Guehi but you'd like to spend it on Mbeumo?!

?!

?

!

Don't you fucking dare mention 5 foot 7 in the same paragraph as Ryan Fraser again. I am a monster among men stood next to people like Ryan Fraser. 

Disappointed Kamala Harris GIF by The Democrats

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

Don't you fucking dare mention 5 foot 7 in the same paragraph as Ryan Fraser again. I am a monster among men stood next to people like Ryan Fraser. 

Disappointed Kamala Harris GIF by The Democrats

the lord of the rings GIF

• Haha 3