Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

On 19/08/2024 at 00:49, ewerk said:

If we could get him on the cheap?

I take back what I said; Sterling is right to bring attention to the way Chelsea players are being treated. He played every preseason game, with multiple quotes by Maresca stating that he was going to be a big part, then suddenly he’s frozen out of the squad. Not to mention the way Gallagher was treated, and the way Chalobah and others are still being treated.

I don’t think I would want to accept a contract from Chelsea if I were a young player.

Time and a place though. It's not great for the players who were in the first eleven when he released the statement on match day. Maybe he told them beforehand, but who knows. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

Time and a place though. It's not great for the players who were in the first eleven when he released the statement on match day. Maybe he told them beforehand, but who knows. 

Nah, fuck Chelsea and their manager IMO. Sterling was absolutely shafted here and in hindsight absolutely correct to take them to task over it. Their behaviour after the fact has somewhat proven his point if you ask me.

I'd still probably not take him unless it was on loan with no obligation like. I am not convinced he'd cover the same yards as Murphy and Miggy in defensive duties, but he'd offer a hell of a lot more going forward.

Just now, Dazzler said:

Nah, fuck Chelsea and their manager IMO. Sterling was absolutely shafted here and in hindsight absolutely correct to take them to task over it. Their behaviour after the fact has somewhat proven his point if you ask me.

I'd still probably not take him unless it was on loan with no obligation like. I am not convinced he'd cover the same yards as Murphy and Miggy in defensive duties, but he'd offer a hell of a lot more going forward.

He is on £325k per week. Can’t see many picking that up.

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

I am not convinced he'd cover the same yards as Murphy and Miggy in defensive duties, but he'd offer a hell of a lot more going forward.

You don't spend that long under Pep without putting in the work and pressing high up the pitch. Whether he's prepared to track up and down the pitch for 90 minutes is another thing though.

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

He is on £325k per week. Can’t see many picking that up.

There's no one going to pay that and he made clear in his statement that he expects his money so unless Chelsea are going to subsidise his wages he's sitting in the reserves all season costing them £17m a year.

I think Sterling is done. He started very early as a top player, and it looks like he'll finish early at that level. And that's before we even get on to wages. Madueke is the better choice in terms of age, personal ambition, potential etc if we're talking about taking someone from Chelsea. Hopefully whoever this mystery name that Downie's been given is someone we haven't even discussed, because none apart from Gonzalez off Fiorentina got me excited, and he's off to Juve it seems. 

We don't tend to go for players with their best years behind them on big wages so I can't see us showing any interest in this deal.

I can't think of many others going in for him.

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I wouldn't touch Sterling at all.  He's more wasteful than Miggy.

image.png.1c96260716abc4886ccf50eab266a816.png

Nope

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

image.png.1c96260716abc4886ccf50eab266a816.png

Nope

That chart simply confirms Sterling would be a disaster given the complete absence of any defensive output combined with his shit use of the ball.

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

That chart simply confirms Sterling would be a disaster given the complete absence of any defensive output combined with his shit use of the ball.

Yup, but he does produce more than Almiron.

We ideally get a right winger who combines Miggy’s work rate in the press with finishing and assists. They don’t grow on trees and cost a pretty penny

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yup, but he does produce more than Almiron.

Miggy is in single digit assists for his ENTIRE Newcastle career 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

We ideally get a right winger who combines Miggy’s work rate in the press with finishing and assists. They don’t grow on trees and cost a pretty penny

That's why we'll wait if we have to.

Just now, Toonpack said:

That's why we'll wait if we have to.

Great, another season of a Miggy and Murphy. Triers who lack end product.  

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Great, another season of a Miggy and Murphy. Triers who lack end product.  

So what, if we tighten up at the back we're golden, even with Murphy/Miggy. A winger seldom loses you a game but a defender sure as hell can.

4 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

So what, if we tighten up at the back we're golden, even with Murphy/Miggy. A winger seldom loses you a game but a defender sure as hell can.

wingers win you games, particularly away from home where we dropped so many points last season. I know we disagree here but I would be throwing more money at the RW problem than at CB, where we are well stocked when everyone is fit. I’d prefer a stop gap signing or loan at CB and a marquee RW rather than the other way around