Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

Put it this way, if we can get a Gordon/Barnes standard player ont he right flank, we're immeasurably more dangerous going forward. And with worse players than we have now, we had the joint meanest defence in the league 2 seasons ago. I think a coach can have more impact on a defensive unit, bringing them up to a higher standard than they naturally are. More impact than the same coach can have at the top end of the pitch where natural talent makes more of a difference. 

I'm not explaining myself well, I know. But a €60-70m attacker makes more of a difference to our ambitions, than a €60-70m defender would.

fish dropping truth bombs 

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Would be quite amusing if we took him off Palace.  Talk of the Dippers getting him tho.

this is exactly the sort of alternative deal for a centre half I was talking about. I confess I know little about him but he just won the Bundesliga, so clearly no mug, and he’s £20-30m cheaper then Guehi, leaving us more cash to get a RW 

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

this is exactly the sort of alternative deal for a centre half I was talking about. I confess I know little about him but he just won the Bundesliga, so clearly no mug, and he’s £20-30m cheaper then Guehi, leaving us more cash to get a RW 

You're not allowed to talk about this as its just a rumour.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

You'd assume he'd be on lower wages too.

I wonder if there'll come a day when we aren't celebrating the idea of missing out on our number one summer transfer window target. :lol:

Get in that bargain bin Eddie! Have a good rummage about! 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I wonder if there'll come a day when we aren't celebrating the idea of missing out on our number one summer transfer window target. :lol:

I’m sorry, I missed the memo that said we weren’t allowed to question the wisdom in spunking £70m on a player who was worth half that price before the euros.

it looks like the recruitment team agree he isn’t worth what palace value him at. I don’t think that’s a bad thing - we’re not Man U and I don’t think we want to develop a reputation for spending over the odds as long as these psr rules are in place. If we could freely spend the money the owners have without fear of a point deduction I wouldn’t be getting involved in this debate, I’d say spend the cash to get the players we want 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Had Guehi moved for £70m to Liverpool or Man City, that's one thing. But nobody else seems interested at that price, so why should we pay it? Especially as it's not like the kid is the new Maldini or owt. He's top half of the PL standard, but he's not better than Botman who is much more highly rated and who we got for 1/2 the price. 

• Like 4

Just now, The Fish said:

Had Guehi moved for £70m to Liverpool or Man City, that's one thing. But nobody else seems interested at that price, so why should we pay it? Especially as it's not like the kid is the new Maldini or owt. He's top half of the PL standard, but he's not better than Botman who is much more highly rated and who we got for 1/2 the price. 

He obviously isn’t a £70m player. Even taking today’s inflated prices and the English tax into consideration 

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

He does have two working legs though. Just saying....

• Haha 2

I think the fact we’ve had four bids ruled out tells us it’s time to walk away. We’re being taken for mugs with this deal - something that hasn’t happened since the takeover so far. I don’t feel like we laid over the odds for anyone so far, except maybe Chris Wood but we were desperate for a forward then and it was a case of needs-must and tbf to wood he did a job to help keep us up, while looking like a bit of a donkey at times 

Lads, I was hoping for Rice Krispies. I hope we can all enjoy your Rice Crackles. And the Choco Pops* we've been able to buy with the change. 

* not racist. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

He obviously isn’t a £70m player. Even taking today’s inflated prices and the English tax into consideration 

He'd have to be Van Dijk at Southampton quality for us to be talking about £70m being anything but an overspend.  I was fine, even positive, on the move at the rumoured £60m fee. But I'll freely admit that was as much out of desperation for a signing, as it was an evaluation of his quality. 

Calafiori, Yoro, De Ligt, Adarabioyo, Max Kilman all moved for less than Guehi's reported valuation, this window.

• Like 1

You'll be the first one whingeing when Almiron cuts in on his left foot and balloons it over the bar rather than rolling it across the 6 yard box with this right peg for a tap in.

• Haha 3

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

You'll be the first one whingeing when Almiron cuts in on his left foot and balloons it over the bar rather than rolling it across the 6 yard box with this right peg for a tap in.

I won't cos I'm not daft enough to think it's either Guehi or a RW. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He'd have to be Van Dijk at Southampton quality for us to be talking about £70m being anything but an overspend.  I was fine, even positive, on the move at the rumoured £60m fee. But I'll freely admit that was as much out of desperation for a signing, as it was an evaluation of his quality. 

Calafiori, Yoro, De Ligt, Adarabioyo, Max Kilman all moved for less than Guehi's reported valuation, this window.

Hummels is out of contact. He’d be worth a punt on a short term deal. He still looked the part against us last season and for Germany in the euros - or perhaps @Isegrim can

tell me if that’s a bad shout