Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

Just now, Gemmill said:

I mean Twitter has said we might be in for Madueke, if that's what you mean? 

Rumours don’t tend to come from official press releases.

Edited by Holden McGroin

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I would have been happy to sign Guehi. But I think the prices quoted are nuts and I think RW is a more obvious weak spot in the squad which I sincerely hope we address 

It’s not.

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

Rumours don’t tend to come from official press releases.

:lol: well I wish I hadn't come off twitter now, given that its rumours are to be given such weight. 

Rumours don't come from the club these days. 

In other words, I don't think there's anything coming out of the club linking us with Madueke. 

Downie has said that Fulham potentially signing Anderson won't affect the Guehi deal. Presumably Parish is at least smart enough to know that with two years remaining on Guehi's contract he'll never get a better price than now. That fact should really strengthen our hand, and Anderson maybe going is the physical proof that they want to sell Guehi now. 

• Like 1

Just now, Polarboy said:

The rumours about Madueke came from the I as well, so not just some random on twitter. I think it was Mark Douglas?

I don't think Mark Douglas is getting anything from the club either. 

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol: well I wish I hadn't come off twitter now, given that its rumours are to be given such weight. 

Rumours don't come from the club these days. 

In other words, I don't think there's anything coming out of the club linking us with Madueke. 

I clearly caveated it by saying no-one has any idea. You're just guessing about how we are operating and who we have on lists etc. 

All we really know is that we've bid for Guehi because Parrish has let his mouth go. 

21 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

The point was Chelsea have a huge surplus of good players that they will need to shift in the next ~10 days.  They’ll be playing hardball until the latter stages. I’m sure we have profiles on all of them.

madueke and someone like Disasi or Chalobah will undoubtedly improve our squad. 

You have to be fluid in the transfer market. I’m sure we didn’t  had Ruddy on a top list  but he became available and he fitted (into whatever role he has)

BTW you've conveniently zeroed in on the "rumoured" Madueke, but this was your initial post which stated that "Chelsea have a huge surplus of good players which they need to shift in the next ~10 days". 

Which is where I came up with the suggestion that our transfer window has come down to finding our least worst pick of Chelsea's rejects. 

I don't think I was twisting words at all. 

13 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Why is Joelinton (for example) a PSR cost (other than wages) he’s bought, paid for and amortised??

His cost is because we gave him a new contract which amortises the remainder of his value over the length of his new contract. 

e.g.  bought in 2019 for €43m on a 6 yr deal. That's €7.2m a year for until 2025. However he signed a 4 yr contract extension in 2024.

So 43.3-(5x7.2) = 7.2 remaining of his amortised transfer fee

7.2/4 = 1.8 a year until 2028

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I used it as an example. And they are hardly rejects.  Weren't you getting a boner about us signing Madueke?

Ewerk, do your stuff.

I think he's decent. But I also don't think we should sign anyone just because I think they're decent. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I think he's decent. But I also don't think we should sign anyone just because I think they're decent. 

I see the delay in posting was you doing a search to verify this 🙂

CB for two positions we have;

Lascelles - Fucked knee, return date? Potentially played his last game for us.

Botman - Fucked knee, return date?

Burn

Schar - Currrently suspended (Is it 3 games?) - In final year of contract.

Kelly

That's it, but people think we need a RW over a CB?  Yes Krafth can cover but he's not a natural CB.  What happens if Burn get's fucked?  He was out with a back injury last season!

• Like 3

A million times what Wyki said.

Even with our tragic (according to some) RW, we scored a shitload of goals last season BUT we conceded a shitload too, and aye there's the Pope factor but if we improve what's in front of the GK we improve defensively as a whole AND reduce the monumental fall off in performance between Pope and whoever is #2, should Pope be injured again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

CB for two positions we have;

Lascelles - Fucked knee, return date? Potentially played his last game for us.

Botman - Fucked knee, return date?

Burn

Schar - Currrently suspended (Is it 3 games?) - In final year of contract.

Kelly

That's it, but people think we need a RW over a CB?  Yes Krafth can cover but he's not a natural CB.  What happens if Burn get's fucked?  He was out with a back injury last season!

Botman should be back December/January, so we've 4 players for 2 positions. Plus any kids that are able to step up, there were a couple of U21s who got minutes at the back in preseason.

• Like 1

Put it this way, if we can get a Gordon/Barnes standard player ont he right flank, we're immeasurably more dangerous going forward. And with worse players than we have now, we had the joint meanest defence in the league 2 seasons ago. I think a coach can have more impact on a defensive unit, bringing them up to a higher standard than they naturally are. More impact than the same coach can have at the top end of the pitch where natural talent makes more of a difference. 

I'm not explaining myself well, I know. But a €60-70m attacker makes more of a difference to our ambitions, than a €60-70m defender would.

Edited by The Fish
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

A million times what Wyki said.

Even with our tragic (according to some) RW, we scored a shitload of goals last season BUT we conceded a shitload too, and aye there's the Pope factor but if we improve what's in front of the GK we improve defensively as a whole AND reduce the monumental fall off in performance between Pope and whoever is #2, should Pope be injured again.

I get your point and we definitely need a CB but if everyone stays fit then Guehi doesn’t displace Schar for me. So that’s lot of money on a backup.

I don’t think the defence was that bad last season. It was the protection they got from an unfit and patched together midfield. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I get your point and we definitely need a CB but if everyone stays fit then Guehi doesn’t displace Schar for me. So that’s lot of money on a backup.

I don’t think the defence was that bad last season. It was the protection they got from an unfit and patched together midfield. 

He absolutely does overtake Schar as first choice RCB - Schar is at most three head traumas away from doing a Chris Benoit.

• Haha 3

I don't understand why we don't just ask Chelsea for a list of the players they don't want, and then get Adam Pearson to live-tweet pick one via eeny-meeny-miney-mo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2