Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

20 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Cognitive dissonance aaall ower the shop.

He was our best player during the Euros. We need a RCB as a long term replacement for Schar, and Guehi would have been a perfect statement signing ala Bruno and Isak.

We've been left with egg on our face and whoever we end up with will know they were second choice.  

And don't get me started on starting ANOTHER season with the fucking heedless chicken rampaging down the right wing and then turning around and running back in the other direction 

Wet Myself Emily Blunt GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

I’ll think you’ll find Tosin and was first choice. How do you think Guehi would feel about being second?

We’ll sign someone. I have no doubt. I’d love Gomez here. Good CB and can play both full back positions.  He is far more attractive than Guehi.

• Haha 1

I’m no transfer negotiating expert but I’d think it should be something like this:-

Us-How much for that cunt?

Them-£65 million 

Us- using negotiating tactics…how about £55million and some add ons ie another 10million when he gets 100 caps and captains England? 
Them(Parish) Fack off you geordie cants do you know who I am? 
Give the fuckers our top offer and tell them that’s the last offer or pay the fuckin money they asked, no he’s not worth it but fuck me, that Rutter has just went for £40 million and he is utter dog shit imo. Parish is enjoying being seen as taking the piss, cough up or tell them to shove their asking price up their arses…sideways! 

6 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Liverpool's 4th choice CB is a better option than England's starting CB?

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Yes.  A player with a PL title, FA Cup, League Cup and a CHAMPIONS League medal who has consistently played for a top team over a bloke that has played for a lower-to-midtable PL team who happened to slightly shine in a abysmal England team, in tournament football.

Yes, yes I would.

• Like 1

Chelsea must need to offload a CB at some point. They’ve got Chalobah, Fofana, Disasi, Tosin, badioshile, Colwill.

It would be funny if we could ended up with Tosin on loan. 😂

3 hours ago, toonotl said:

Are you crazy? Boehly needs all of them for his extra point special teams defensive unit.

Here’s the 4-1-1. If you’re going to be in the zone, you need your goddamn guys to step up to the plate, and if they can’t do it, they’re going to be riding pine. Capisce?

• Haha 3

Guehi could be a fantastic addition to our team. I also think he could potentially be worth more in the future but there does need to be a cut off with any financial addition.

I am hopefully moving house next week, I had to pay the asking price. I am hoping, based on the history of house prices, that it will continue to go up in value. I hit my maximum on it (Not quite 65m) but I wouldn't go higher. I also had to do the same with the price that I am selling my current house for. If it didn't work out with the house, I had to accept that there were other options out there.

It is the same with Guehi. If he costs too much, we need to walk away. Worst case scenario, we end up with another option that we are not as content with. 

Manchester United, in 2011-2012 had the next England centre back pairing in Jones (20) and Smalling (22) with Evans (24). At the time, I thought they were going to be defensively solid for years to come. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He was our best player during the Euros. We need a RCB as a long term replacement for Schar, and Guehi would have been a perfect statement signing ala Bruno and Isak.

We've been left with egg on our face and whoever we end up with will know they were second choice.  

And don't get me started on starting ANOTHER season with the fucking heedless chicken rampaging down the right wing and then turning around and running back in the other direction 

I was never arsed about Guehi at the price mooted. Massively inflated by an impressive Euros. There are other options out there for half the price - though whether we manage to secure one in the time left before the window closes remains to be seen. I’d like to think we’ve been working on multiple targets.

We simply have to secure a RW for the first team or it’s been a disappointing window. 

• Like 3

I wouldn’t be against taking a couple of Chelsea players. They’ve got some quality in their squad and clearly need to shift some of it. It’s not the fault of the players they have signed that they’ve got too many to pick from to form a cohesive side. They’ve got lads who would unquestionably improve our first team. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

It's the first emoji transfer window. 

Sign a RW for the first team: 😄🎈🎉🙌🕺

All other transfer window outcomes: 🫤

we’ve gone from taking Tosin on a free to spending weeks negotiating to potentially spunk our entire budget on a cb who may or may not be worth £70m (I suspect the latter). Getting a solid CB to compete with Schar and Botman for £30m or so (or on loan) and a top RW for around £50m is surely a more desirable outcome 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we’ve gone from taking Tosin on a free to spending weeks negotiating to potentially spunk our entire budget on a cb who may or may not be worth £70m (I suspect the latter). Getting a solid CB to compete with Schar and Botman for £30m or so (or on loan) and a top RW for around £50m is surely a more desirable outcome 

There's probably 2 or 3 RW players that we've identified as the targets we want. That we think can play Howe's style, be at the club for an extended period of time, and not be a PR mistake. 

If none of them are available this window, we're not gonna just sign anyone. The days where you could just sign a this-might-not-work warm body player that was a bit better than you've got, and not worry too much if it doesn't work out are over. PSR has fucked that. We tried to do that a little bit with Elanga when we tried to get him on the cheap as part of the Anderson PSR fiddle, but Forest weren't having it. 

They'll know they need a RW to upgrade what we've got, but they'll have a very specific shortlist, same with CBs. They obviously value Guehi WAY ahead of the half price alternatives you're talking about and that's why they've been trying to get him specifically and not somebody else, just because that somebody else is cheaper - I think we should take that as a positive rather than a negative. 

Just saying "get a top RW for £50m" - like who? There isn't 5 to just go and pick that are available and that we want, and that can play Howe's system, etc etc. 

I trust them to be working to a plan. I absolutely do not want to watch Miggy and Murphy battle it out for the first choice RW spot for another season either, but I don't want us to buy someone that the recruitment team don't think is the real deal either. It'll be a shame if we don't sign a RW cos we'll be watching Miggy and Murphy for another season, but to write the window off as a disappointment is too simplistic imo, for the reasons I've given above. 

I seem to remember certain people being desperate that we sign Diaby and furious he went to Villa. And he was fucking kaka. That was a fuck up from Villa, but at the time they thought they'd won the transfer window. 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

There's probably 2 or 3 RW players that we've identified as the targets we want. That we think can play Howe's style, be at the club for an extended period of time, and not be a PR mistake. 

If none of them are available this window, we're not gonna just sign anyone. The days where you could just sign a this-might-not-work warm body player that was a bit better than you've got, and not worry too much if it doesn't work out are over. PSR has fucked that. We tried to do that a little bit with Elanga when we tried to get him on the cheap as part of the Anderson PSR fiddle, but Forest weren't having it. 

They'll know they need a RW to upgrade what we've got, but they'll have a very specific shortlist, same with CBs. They obviously value Guehi WAY ahead of the half price alternatives you're talking about and that's why they've been trying to get him specifically and not somebody else, just because that somebody else is cheaper - I think we should take that as a positive rather than a negative. 

Just saying "get a top RW for £50m" - like who? There isn't 5 to just go and pick that are available and that we want, and that can play Howe's system, etc etc. 

I trust them to be working to a plan. I absolutely do not want to watch Miggy and Murphy battle it out for the first choice RW spot for another season either, but I don't want us to buy someone that the recruitment team don't think is the real deal either. It'll be a shame if we don't sign a RW cos we'll be watching Miggy and Murphy for another season, but to write the window off as a disappointment is too simplistic imo, for the reasons I've given above. 

I seem to remember certain people being desperate that we sign Diaby and furious he went to Villa. And he was fucking kaka. That was a fuck up from Villa, but at the time they thought they'd won the transfer window. 

there are no guarantees with any transfer. There’s always an element of risk but you have to also play the percentages and I don’t see how Guehi is worth north of £70m like, which is apparently what Palace now want. I think it’s the sort of fee that could weigh heavily on a player who has impressed but hasn’t done enough to be classed as elite. 

I think we could end up turning to the loan market. We had success raiding Chelsea for Lewis Hall. I wouldn’t be against us doing similar with Madueke and one of their CBs. Loans with options to buy are less of a gamble than blowing the sort of money discussed on Guehi and sticking with Murphy/Miggy for another season  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

First part, pretty spot on.

Last paragraph, irrelevant/not a problem. (Will be even less so when we upgrade).

8 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

there are no guarantees with any transfer. There’s always an element of risk but you have to also play the percentages and I don’t see how Guehi is worth north of £70m like, which is apparently what Palace now want. I think it’s the sort of fee that could weigh heavily on a player who has impressed but hasn’t done enough to be classed as elite. 

I think we could end up turning to the loan market. We had success raiding Chelsea for Lewis Hall. I wouldn’t be against us doing similar with Madueke and one of their CBs. Loans with options to buy are less of a gamble than blowing the sort of money discussed on Guehi and sticking with Murphy/Miggy for another season  

Hall will have been identified as someone we liked before we just took him on loan with an obligation to pay £35m for him the following season. 

You're basically saying "it worked with Hall, so there must be SOMEONE ELSE at Chelsea that we'd be happy to risk a third of next summer's transfer window budget on to keep fans happy in this transfer window?!" 

A bit mental that, isn't it? 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Guehi. Howe and Mitchell are clearly VERY keen on bringing him in. The first young CB Howe signed was canny good, so maybe he knows a thing or two more about this than us. If we end up getting someone else for half the price, it will be someone that Howe would have happily foregone in favour of paying double for Guehi. I know that'll make you happy but it probably shouldn't. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I was never arsed about Guehi at the price mooted. Massively inflated by an impressive Euros. There are other options out there for half the price - though whether we manage to secure one in the time left before the window closes remains to be seen. I’d like to think we’ve been working on multiple targets.

We simply have to secure a RW for the first team or it’s been a disappointing window. 

Do you think the club have just thought 'H'way, let's fuck off the cheaper options and gan for this expensive lad just because we can like'?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Hall will have been identified as someone we liked before we just took him on loan with an obligation to pay £35m for him the following season. 

You're basically saying "it worked with Hall, so there must be SOMEONE ELSE at Chelsea that we'd be happy to risk a third of next summer's transfer window budget on to keep fans happy in this transfer window?!" 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Guehi. Howe and Mitchell are clearly VERY keen on bringing him in. The first young CB Howe signed was canny good, so maybe he knows a thing or two more about this than us. If we end up getting someone else for half the price, it will be someone that Howe would have happily foregone in favour of paying double for Guehi. I know that'll make you happy but it probably shouldn't. 

The point was Chelsea have a huge surplus of good players that they will need to shift in the next ~10 days.  They’ll be playing hardball until the latter stages. I’m sure we have profiles on all of them.

madueke and someone like Disasi or Chalobah will undoubtedly improve our squad. 

You have to be fluid in the transfer market. I’m sure we didn’t  had Ruddy on a top list  but he became available and he fitted (into whatever role he has)

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

The point was Chelsea have a huge surplus of good players that they will need to shift in the next ~10 days.  They’ll be playing hardball until the latter stages. I’m sure we have profiles on all of them.

madueke and someone like Disasi or Chalobah will undoubtedly improve our squad. 

You have to be fluid in the transfer market. I’m sure we didn’t  had Ruddy on a top list  but he became available and he fitted (into whatever role he has)

So our transfer window becomes "which of the players that Chelsea deem not good enough for them would be our least worst option"? That sounds like a recipe for success. 

14 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Do you think the club have just thought 'H'way, let's fuck off the cheaper options and gan for this expensive lad just because we can like'?

He was definitely high on a list - which I think is English, quick, big. strong and right footed. (😝). Tosin was higher on the list than him and there could have been players we’ve tried to get before him that haven’t made the press. I think the transfer fee is causing conflict. He simply isn’t a £70m player.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

So our transfer window becomes "which of the players that Chelsea deem not good enough for them would be our least worst option"? That sounds like a recipe for success. 

Twisting words, obviously.  There have been rumours of Madueke all summer so maybe we are playing the waiting game with him. No-one really knows who we have identified. Players suddenly become available. Some clubs won’t let a player go unless a replacement is found etc etc. it’s definitively a bit more advanced than going a down a list of 4 players and crossing them off.

30 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I would have been happy to sign Guehi. But I think the prices quoted are nuts and I think RW is a more obvious weak spot in the squad which I sincerely hope we address 

3 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Twisting words, obviously.  There have been rumours of Madueke all summer so maybe we are playing the waiting game with him. No-one really knows who we have identified. Players suddenly become available. Some clubs won’t let a player go unless a replacement is found etc etc. it’s definitively a bit more advanced than going a down a list of 4 players and crossing them off.

I mean Twitter has said we might be in for Madueke, if that's what you mean?