Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

Howe has supposedly set his stall out in his pre-Southampton press conference. He's said we won't pay silly money for players, clearly referencing Parish's attempts at rinsing us in public with all his quotes in the media. It's uncharacteristic from Eddie, but he no doubt believes that it's only fair he say his piece after Parish did. This really does seem like our last take it or leave it offer. 

52 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

What RW would you spunk £60m who has Prem experience and a proven goal scorer / goal provider? 

Mbuemo?

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

? We did?

We spent our budget on a player who wasn't allowed to play.

I think he will be a good player for a long time for us ,but it had a negative effect on our season.

46 minutes ago, DCR said:

We spent our budget on a player who wasn't allowed to play.

I think he will be a good player for a long time for us ,but it had a negative effect on our season.

But isn't that no different to a player getting an unexpected leg break or something? Don't think it was a PSR mistake. Now, had Tonali been available all season but had been shit, then that is a PSR mistake in my book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaser said:

Mbuemo?

Actually reading that back, I didn't note the £60m figure. He's a proven prem league winger capable of scoring goals but wouldn't be worth that 

7 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Am I alone here in thinking this bloke is worth nowhere near what we paid for Isak? :lol:

Solid centre half, English, so an inflated transfer fee is baked in, used to the premier league etc - but if it wasn’t for six good games in a poor England team during the euros he’d be going for £20-30m. It’s exactly the sort of deal we have avoided and the type Man U usually fall for - paying well over the odds on a player who will never be worth that much again throughout his career. 

Perhaps I’m missing something that other people have seen that can suggest I’m wrong here but he doesn’t look like an obvious successor to Schar. Certainly not a like-for-like ball-playing centre back.

And tbh, if we do sign him, i don’t think he starts when everyone is fit - Schar and Botman are better players, surely?

Aye. I’ve said It since we were interested him. He was the worst CB I’ve seen play against us last season. It may have just been an off day but he also made a couple of massive clangers in the Euros. He managed to get away with them but I don’t think he’d be so lucky against teams that aren’t shite. 

He is only 23/24 though so has loads of improvement in him.  I’d rather focus on RW. It’s money not necessarily needed to be spent if Fab stays fit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

Palace have supposedly rejected our fourth bid. Fuck them. I'd have gladly taken Guehi, but he's not worth the ball ache that is Parish. 

This is how Maguires price rose so much. Walk away.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye. I’ve said It since we were interested him. He was the worst CB I’ve seen play against us last season. It may have just been an off day but he also made a couple of massive clangers in the Euros. He managed to get away with them but I don’t think he’d be so lucky against teams that aren’t shite. 

He is only 23/24 though so has loads of improvement in him.  I’d rather focus on RW. It’s money not necessarily needed to be spent if Fab stays fit.

Would he be anywhere near that valuation without the England caps? Would he have anywhere near that many caps without the Southgate/Crystal Palace connection? I think the answer to both of those questions is no 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Would he be anywhere near that valuation without the England caps? Would he have anywhere near that many caps without the Southgate/Crystal Palace connection? I think the answer to both of those questions is no 

It’s telling that this is playing out in the public (very unusual for us btw) and no-one else is interested in him. Certainly at that price. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

even if he was at the level of Virgil Van Dyke (he isn’t) I’d be questioning why we are spending that amount of money on a centre back when we have Schar, Burn, Kelly, Krafth, Murphy, plus Botman and Lascelles to come back. While at RW we have Murphy and Miggy

3 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

can we ban KD from starting threads for players until jimbo's TV is shown?

Tbf, if people read the opening post they would see I simply posed a question!

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

even if he was at the level of Virgil Van Dyke (he isn’t) I’d be questioning why we are spending that amount of money on a centre back when we have Schar, Burn, Kelly, Krafth, Murphy, plus Botman and Lascelles to come back. While at RW we have Murphy and Miggy

CB is a priority because Schar is getting old as is Burn, Botman is fucked and out for ages (and may not be the same player when back) and Krafth/Lascelles are “last resort” CB’s and the other two are kids.

We’re buying for now/the near future.

RW is next priority I reckon and aye it’s Miggy/Murphy but also Gordon or Barnes if necessary.

CB is way above RW in current needs.

I think VVD is way over-rated these days and probably always was, he’s lucky he’s not played his career with strikers the level of a Henry or Shearer knocking about.

• Like 2

Agreed. I think people seem blinded by the RW option. 

VVD wasn't smashing down doors when he first went to Liverpool and took a year or so to settle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toonpack said:

CB is a priority because Schar is getting old as is Burn, Botman is fucked and out for ages (and may not be the same player when back) and Krafth/Lascelles are “last resort” CB’s and the other two are kids.

We’re buying for now/the near future.

RW is next priority I reckon and aye it’s Miggy/Murphy but also Gordon or Barnes if necessary.

CB is way above RW in current needs.

I think VVD is way over-rated these days and probably always was, he’s lucky he’s not played his career with strikers the level of a Henry or Shearer knocking about.

Disagree like. We have loads of depth at centre back, and are way stronger there than at RW, even taking the injuries into account.

I get why we’re trying to strengthen CB given Burn and Schar’s age. But honestly, I think Schar has at least another season or two in him - he’s been one of our most consistent players since the takeover.  

And I question why we would chuck almost our entire summer budget on that area when we’re looking at Miggy or Murphy out wide on the right for another season. It’s obviously the weakest area of the squad and the one that hasn’t been upgraded since the Ashley era. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Disagree like. We have loads of depth at centre back, and are way stronger there than at RW, even taking the injuries into account.

I get why we’re trying to strengthen CB given Burn and Schar’s age. But honestly, I think Schar has at least another season or two in him - he’s been one of our most consistent players since the takeover.  

And I question why we would chuck almost our entire summer budget on that area when we’re looking at Miggy or Murphy out wide on the right for another season. It’s obviously the weakest area of the squad and the one that hasn’t been upgraded since the Ashley era. 

So hence why we should be strengthening now?  Rather than waiting?

23 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

So hence why we should be strengthening now?  Rather than waiting?

Yep, better to replace a player a year too early than a year too late.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LongTimeAdmirer said:

Should go for Tomori and that PSV winger Bakayoko instead

Tomori is one im genuinely surprised we havent been linked with all that much. 

• Like 2