Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

We've offered 60. An extra 5 is neither here nor there.

And for the 10th time, he's only just turned 24 last month, and if he's still our first choice centre half when he's 32, then £65m will have been an absolute steal. 

It would make him the 7th most expensive defender in history.

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It would make him the 7th most expensive defender in history.

Warren Barton was once the most expensive defender in England. WHAT OF IT. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gemmill said:

When you've taken a fortnight to get within £5m of their valuation, and that fortnight was the last two weeks before the season starts, I think there's a fairly strong argument for just going the extra 5 and getting the bloke in the squad for at least match week 2.

Unless we are in very low-key advanced discussions on a cheaper alternative, that is. 

We do have previous for that. 

The media were going mad over us pursuing Barella and then we announced Tonali instead. :lol:

We've really done two pieces of huge business so far since the new owners came in, Tonali and Isak and both were without a peep from anyone until it was done.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Harry Maguire was £80mil 5 years ago. I know which one I'd rather have 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

We've really done two pieces of huge business so far since the new owners came in, Tonali and Isak and both were without a peep from anyone until it was done.

This media stuff seems to be very much coming from Palace's end or the player's agent. Doesn't mean we're not after him but they couldn't hold their water by the looks of it? 

39 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

This media stuff seems to be very much coming from Palace's end or the player's agent. Doesn't mean we're not after him but they couldn't hold their water by the looks of it? 

I think they fully expected a bidding war and probably can't believe that there's still only one interested party. 

• Like 1

The one thing these owners haven’t done so far is let a selling club take the piss. They’ve walked away from deals that played out in the media in the way this one has - Diego Carlos springs to mind - and have worked hard to establish a reputation  as tough negotiators to stop selling clubs trying to add a Newcastle tax. This deal makes zero sense after all that. 

I think, and hope, we walk away from it now. We have to be honest about where we are in the bullshit world of psr/ffp. Guehi is a good defender but he’s never worth £65m and we don’t have the financial headroom to throw that kind of cash on him just because he had a good euros. There are other, good CB options out there for much less. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If you sign him on a 5 year deal, the PSR difference between £50m and £65m is basically nothing. 

You could have got him for £30m before the euros. And there are other defenders available for that sort of fee that are just as good or better than Guehi. The big money would be better spent on a new right winger - the one glaring weak spot in the squad    

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If you sign him on a 5 year deal, the PSR difference between £50m and £65m is basically nothing. 

It's the equivalent of a £15m player. You're saying that signing Alan Shearer, the league's greatest ever striker, is basically nothing.

38 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It's the equivalent of a £15m player. You're saying that signing Alan Shearer, the league's greatest ever striker, is basically nothing.

The cost to this years accounts is £13mill (if he’s £65mill)  or £10 mill (if he’s £50 mill) so aye bugger all tbh.  Obviously wages on top.

3 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

The cost to this years accounts is £13mill (if he’s £65mill)  or £10 mill (if he’s £50 mill) so aye bugger all tbh.  Obviously wages on top.

Yes but it's the equivalent of another £15m player on a five year contract.

Am I alone here in thinking this bloke is worth nowhere near what we paid for Isak? :lol:

Solid centre half, English, so an inflated transfer fee is baked in, used to the premier league etc - but if it wasn’t for six good games in a poor England team during the euros he’d be going for £20-30m. It’s exactly the sort of deal we have avoided and the type Man U usually fall for - paying well over the odds on a player who will never be worth that much again throughout his career. 

Perhaps I’m missing something that other people have seen that can suggest I’m wrong here but he doesn’t look like an obvious successor to Schar. Certainly not a like-for-like ball-playing centre back.

And tbh, if we do sign him, i don’t think he starts when everyone is fit - Schar and Botman are better players, surely?

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yes but it's the equivalent of another £15m player on a five year contract.

You can get fuck all for £15m these days. We just spent £20m to sign King Poseidon in nets. 

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Well he was poor value for money and nowhere near the best in the world at that time ;) 

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Am I alone here in thinking this bloke is worth nowhere near what we paid for Isak? :lol:

Solid centre half, English, so a inflated transfer fee is baked in, used to the premier league etc - but if it wasn’t for six good games in a poor England team during the euros he’d be going for £20-30m. It’s exactly the sort of deal we have avoided and the type Man U usually fall for - paying offer the odds on a player who will never be worth that much again throughout his career. 

Perhaps I’m missing something that other people have seen that can suggest I’m wrong here but he doesn’t look like an obvious successor to Schar. Certainly not a like-for-like ball-playing centre back.

And tbh, if we do sign him, i don’t think he starts when everyone is fit - Schar and Botman are better players, surely?

I don't think that's true, look at what Forest paid for Anderson, or what West Ham paid for Max Kilman. The market is all over the place. I blame Chelsea

• Like 1