Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

27 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

All just seems a bit amateurish from the outside. Surely they had a certain number of targets (1st and 2nd choices) for various positions at the end of last season and here we are scrambling about for one player and no hint of a right winger, with the season days away.

Palace have clearly leaked it to get more brass. The PSR situation has had the biggest impact and we can only work with that. 

The Euros too with players away etc. 

• Like 2

There's no denying the transfer process is frustrating and only getting worse with the added incentive of PSR now in the mix that makes both buying and selling parties determined to squeeze every bit of value from every transaction. At the end of the day, we clearly have money to spend this window and by the time the window closes we'll have added one or maybe even two top quality signings to the first XI. Whether it's Geuhi or someone else it doesn't really matter.

Personally, I think this lad is way overpriced and we could get better value with a CB of half the price and spend more at the business end of the pitch where 60m is the going rate for a quality name. If this lad comes in for 60-65m then the price tag dictates that the expectation should be that he will perform immediately and for a long long time at the level of one of, if not the best, CB in the league. This is big big money for a CB. It's the equivalent of spending 100m+ on an attacking player. A 60-65m fee is a lot of expectation to lump on a defender. And we've seen many an expensive English CB crumble under the weight of such expectations.

In saying that, I do hope we get him and I hope he's worth it. But if we move back to Thiaw (or whoever else) I also won't be disappointed because the value proposition of a 30-35m CB and a 50-60m RW is much more likely (everything else being equal) to represent good bang for our buck (in my opinion) than the other way around.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Palace have clearly leaked it to get more brass. The PSR situation has had the biggest impact and we can only work with that. 

The Euros too with players away etc. 

I don't think CT is completely wrong here tbf. I get there's some time to go and all we really need is 2 top signings to make this a great window. I also think the club feels relatively happy with the starting eleven and don't feel the need to rush into new signing given there's no Europe. 

However this summer has shown things maybe aren't as streamlined as we thought they were. The Ashworth situation and then Staveley leaving clearly impacted things; and that was evidenced by Howe's Adidas interview. Possibly impacted the PSR management too and of course that whole fiasco was not a great look. Now here we are days from the first game and we've not made a signing of note when this was touted as the summer we'd announce ourselves in that regard.

I don't think all of that is necessarily the club's fault though, ultimately it's been a tough summer that we've managed to get through (some of the power transitions though painful were always going to be necessary) without losing top players and seem to have some direction now in terms of transfer targets. 

We have to stay calm and deliver 2 top players to Howe by September, if we do that there's every chance he will achieve a CL finish again. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

I don't think CT is completely wrong here tbf. I get there's some time to go and all we really need is 2 top signings to make this a great window. I also think the club feels relatively happy with the starting eleven and don't feel the need to rush into new signing given there's no Europe. 

However this summer has shown things maybe aren't as streamlined as we thought they were. The Ashworth situation and then Staveley leaving clearly impacted things; and that was evidenced by Howe's Adidas interview. Possibly impacted the PSR management too and of course that whole fiasco was not a great look. Now here we are days from the first game and we've not made a signing of note when this was touted as the summer we'd announce ourselves in that regard.

I don't think all of that is necessarily the club's fault though, ultimately it's been a tough summer that we've managed to get through (some of the power transitions though painful were always going to be necessary) without losing top players and seem to have some direction now in terms of transfer targets. 

We have to stay calm and deliver 2 top players to Howe by September, if we do that there's every chance he will achieve a CL finish again. 

Touted by whom? Know noughts? We just had a mad scramble to ensure we complied with PSR, why would anyone expect that we'd then turn around and spend huge amounts of money? It makes no sense. It will always have to be a relatively gradual improvement. We've exceeded results and still people are getting upset. Baffling.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, OTF said:

Touted by whom? Know noughts? We just had a mad scramble to ensure we complied with PSR, why would anyone expect that we'd then turn around and spend huge amounts of money? It makes no sense. It will always have to be a relatively gradual improvement. We've exceeded results and still people are getting upset. Baffling.

Well yes the usual know noughts but I also think last summer there was a general feeling even on here that we'd be able to go bigger once the CL money and new sponsorships come in. People have talked about stadium rights and all that. Of course that was all just expectation noone knows how the commercial stuff is structured and lined-up. I think the club will get it right just maybe not at the pace we expected, especially with no Europe this season.

Plus we haven't been able to move on Dubravka, Miggy, Wilson etc together who could have financed a major signing.

Ultimately, I think it's premature to judge the window before the window shuts. If the top brass at the club treated transfer negotiations like we sometimes want them to on here the club would have their own pants down over every transfer because they wouldn't be able to go 5 minutes of waiting for a reply to an offer without getting back on the phone to increase the offer in the hopes of getting a faster response. :lol:

Edited by toonotl
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, aimaad22 said:

Well yes the usual know noughts but I also think last summer there was a general feeling even on here that we'd be able to go bigger once the CL money and new sponsorships come in. People have talked about stadium rights and all that. Of course that was all just expectation noone knows how the commercial stuff is structured and lined-up. I think the club will get it right just maybe not at the pace we expected, especially with no Europe this season.

Plus we haven't been able to move on Dubravka, Miggy, Wilson etc together who could have financed a major signing.

This was the only other avenue we had for immediate impact on our ability to spend. No Europe this season will hurt our bottom line but will help us immensely the league and with injuries so that when we are next back in Europe we will be in a stronger position to compete (and let's be real, a single dodgy decision stopped us from progressing beyond the group stage). The signings we have already made have been under the caveats that the improved sponsorships are on their way in. They've been quite careful to maintain compliance so far* and will continue to do so as they know there is an extra level of scrutiny afforded to us.

I've said it before on here but in a way I kind of like that we have to fight for each little bit of progression, we can't just go out and spend on the level of the clubs that we desire to be competitive with. It will be tougher and take more time but it will be more rewarding as a result.

The best time I have had supporting us over the last 30 years was Howe coming in and rescuing us from what seemed like certain relegation and the subsequent season where we shocked everyone and finished fourth.

* - the PSR scramble end of June shows that maybe not careful enough.

• Like 3

so here we are a few days from kick off to the new season and a couple of weeks till the transfer window SLAMS shut.

how do you rate our deals so far?

marks out of 10 and a thoughtful and reasoned explanation as to why please.

I'll start....

2/10  

been fucking shite.

• Haha 3

I don't think it's an overreaction to say that, with 2 days until the season starts, this has been a disappointing window, in terms of both incomings and outgoings.

Hall potentially the only player we've signed who would get into our strongest XI, and that deal was agreed 12 months ago. 

3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I don't think it's an overreaction to say that, with 2 days until the season starts, this has been a disappointing window, in terms of both incomings and outgoings.

Hall potentially the only player we've signed who would get into our strongest XI, and that deal was agreed 12 months ago. 

No panic buying, we already have a strong squad and I have every confidence that there will be one or two strong signings before the window closes, potentially more if sales are made.

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I agree.

But it is also true that we have signed bench players and future players with Kelly and Osula.

What positions should we sign to improve the starting XI? Clearly the right winger and the left back.

Maybe a defender if we take into account that Botman is injured and Schar needs to rest from time to time.

The reality is that it seems that we are trying to sign a starting center back (Guehi) and that Hall could be that starting left back to replace Burn.

What we really need is for all the players to be healthy. But I see a very solid starting XI.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

A saudi team is the only hope for a Miggy exit.

I have not read the original information, but I have read that there has been a statement from PIF to the 4 teams it controls (the 4 that have money: Al Nassr, Al Ahly, Al Hilal and Al-Ittihad) that this year they could not have money to make signings.

In fact, if you look closely, the reality is that so far this year there are almost no signings from Saudi Arabia. (Only Diaby)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I can’t believe that given our owner, we are not shipping more players over there. 

There's a line of thinking that says that's why we're not sending players over there.

Could also be that our players don't want to go there.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Factoring in the losses of Minteh and Anderson this is a piss poor window so far. 

Are we paying the price of some serious spunkage in previous windows and the end of the 3 year period?

Which, incidentally, is apparently how long my lass's last these days.

Edited by trophyshy
  • Haha 9

14 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

I agree.

But it is also true that we have signed bench players and future players with Kelly and Osula.

What positions should we sign to improve the starting XI? Clearly the right winger and the left back.

Maybe a defender if we take into account that Botman is injured and Schar needs to rest from time to time.

The reality is that it seems that we are trying to sign a starting center back (Guehi) and that Hall could be that starting left back to replace Burn.

What we really need is for all the players to be healthy. But I see a very solid starting XI.

How well Hall will work will really depend on the style that we play and if we get adequate shielding for our defense from midfield. Joelinton makes a huge difference there, hopefully Tonali too. We do also still have Targett who looked good before his injury problems and is scheduled to be back in a few weeks.

I agree we have a solid starting team and good options in a few positions. I'm excited for this season just with our current squad.

• Like 1