Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

19 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Didn't stop Baggio going there or Vlahovic. (That's probably one of the reasons Fiorentina hate them!) 

Baggio is the third reason given for the rivalry on wiki: ACF Fiorentina–Juventus FC rivalry - Wikipedia

They wished to renew the contract of local star, Federico Bernardeschi, but he was unwilling to renew his deal with Fiorentina and instead secured a transfer to rivals Juventus for €40 million on a five-year deal.[10][11] Fans responded with vulgar banners saying "A chi non piacerebbe sputarti in faccia... Bernardeschi gobbo di merda", which translates to "Who wouldn't like to spit in your face, Bernardeschi you shitty hunchback".

:lol:

• Haha 4

I've read 'Calcio' by John Foot and he did mention that rivalry but there's that many rivalries, vendettas, bribery and scandals in the history of Italian football you simply can't remember them all! :lol:

• Like 1

According to Joel Bland we've stuck another bid in for Guehi this lunchtime. Of course it's very easy to say that and not be called out given everyone is aware that negotiations are ongoing. 

12 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

"If" we managed to sign Guehi and Gonzalez for the first team, and Osula and Kelly for backup, then that's a mint window tbf.

If we can manage to shift on the deadwood along with the likely departure of Trips and possibly Miggy too that should free up the wages we'd need for these too so we'd be in a half decent position heading into September.

23 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

According to Joel Bland we've stuck another bid in for Guehi this lunchtime. Of course it's very easy to say that and not be called out given everyone is aware that negotiations are ongoing. 

Bland knows nowt, he’s no better than the ITK’s

Nico Gonzalez is one of my favourite players. I think he would excel in any team in Italy or Spain. I have been saying for years that he is perfect for Simeone's Atleti system (so he is perfect for Howe's style as well).

I hope that, if he comes, he can adapt to the pace of the Premier League.

He is a very strong player, very fast. Originally a centre forward, but when he came to Europe (at Stuttgart) he started to play as a second striker or even as a winger and he did very well.

In my opinion, his best position is close to a striker. I think he could be a very good option for the right wing. He is a player who scores a lot of goals.

Regarding the relationship between Juventus and Fiorentina, there is a circumstance. Many Fiorentina players end up playing for Juve. Baggio was the most famous case, but recently we have had Bernardeschi, Vlahovic and Chiesa.

The fact is that a few years ago, Fiorentina has a new president. And, interestingly, the president is a Juventus fan, but he has been firmly opposed to selling players to Juventus. The Chiesa deal was already done when he arrived, and he couldn't do anything to sell Vlahovic because the player only wanted to go there.

I understand that players, especially Italian ones, might prefer to go to Juventus because it's the biggest team in the country they're already in.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, RobElliott said:

So Federico Bernardeschi is the equivalent of the Italian Mackem?

What was the one called that played for them who was absolutely shite? Probably about ten year ago now, come to think of it. I’m sure he could well be described as a shitty hunchback 

One of the main reasons Baggio went to Juve was because, iirc, the stadium renovations for Italia 90 for Fiorentina which spiralled out of control. It’s basically like a national monument, so it was inconceivable they relocated. Florentine pride also meant it was inconceivable that the stadium wouldn’t host World Cup matches. To improve the capacity they lowered the pitch and removed the running track. Baggio was sold to help pay for it. They already hated Juve but it was a particularly bitter blow for the fans at the time. Especially as the team didn’t really get anything out of, as the money was already spent 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

What was the one called that played for them who was absolutely shite? Probably about ten year ago now, come to think of it. I’m sure he could well be described as a shitty hunchback 

Borini?

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

One of the main reasons Baggio went to Juve was because, iirc, the stadium renovations for Italia 90 for Fiorentina which spiralled out of control. It’s basically like a national monument, so it was inconceivable they relocated. Florentine pride also meant it was inconceivable that the stadium wouldn’t host World Cup matches. To improve the capacity they lowered the pitch and removed the running track. Baggio was sold to help pay for it. They already hated Juve but it was a particularly bitter blow for the fans at the time. Especially as the team didn’t really get anything out of, as the money was already spent 

Baggio was hated by the Fiorentina fans for many years. His entire career and much more.

A few years ago, he revealed that he never wanted to leave Fiorentina, but that they sold him without giving him the option because of the issue you mentioned. And that he never had the option to decide.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Diego21 said:

Baggio was hated by the Fiorentina fans for many years. His entire career and much more.

A few years ago, he revealed that he never wanted to leave Fiorentina, but that they sold him without giving him the option because of the issue you mentioned. And that he never had the option to decide.

One of my favourite players ever. An absolute genius 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Giaccherini (Sp?) I think it was. Sure he was an absolute crock but he was another in a long line of world beaters when he signed 

That was boro wasn’t it? The baldy fella?

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

Maccarone wasn’t it?

Aah maybe. There’s been a few shit Italians up north in my time. 

Romano has said that Gonzalez is very likely to pick a team from Italy to join as opposed to moving to the PL. Apart from Guler, and maybe Raphinha, he was the name I was most excited about seeing linked to us. Plus it also seemed more likely given he'd be less than half the price of the aforementioned. 

58 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

If we are splashing the cash on Guehi do we see a lower amount spent on a RW? 

Ive seen that kid from Watford mentioned, Asprilla. 

Probably means we'll try to shift Almiron, Trippier etc before signing anybody else.

I've always been interested in the process behind transfers.

So it sounds like we've put a first bid in and (I assume) it's been rejected. Surely that then requires a 20min chat at board level to agree whether we are putting in a higher bid, and if so, how much higher? Once a bid is accepted you then have a similarly swift conversation to thrash out personal terms.

It feels like it takes a week to make a decision on the next step, which then just surely opens the door to being gazumped?

(obviously this now all just supposition)

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season