Transfers, 2024-25 season

trophyshy

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

you think they're paying £7m for a player with six months left on his contract? 

Maybe, dunno, it could be £5m. But whatever we get will be available to spend. 

Lascelles will either go now for some money or in 6 months for nothing. We've got serviceable deputy centrebacks like Burn, and even Murphy, Krafth, and Dummett. 

In terms of leadership on the pitch, yeah that is a concern. After those two, you're looking at Bruno who isn't the calmest head, Schar who doesn't seem like an inspirational character.

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Lascelles will either go now for some money or in 6 months for nothing. We've got serviceable deputy centrebacks like Burn, and even Murphy, Krafth, and Dummett. 

In terms of leadership on the pitch, yeah that is a concern. After those two, you're looking at Bruno who isn't the calmest head, Schar who doesn't seem like an inspirational character.

So then it goes to one of players who have deputised at times in Longstaff, Burn or Wilson. Wilson is never fit long enough to captain, and I don't think Longstaff or Burn are really suitable. 

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

yeah, i dunno about that. when you look at all of the players linked with moves away, it feels like we will gain the least by selling lascelles - especially when you look at that list of alternative reserve centre backs. i'd rather keep him on for the rest of the season and let him go for free then. 

miggy is the one i'd be shifting first, if we can get close to £30m for him. 

12 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

Aye. It’ll be more like £1m

we just walked away from a £5-7m loan fee for KP on a six month loan but a turkish side are apparently going to fork that out for lascelles in a similar situation. seems optimistic 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

we just walked away from a £5-7m loan fee for KP on a six month loan but a turkish side are apparently going to fork that out for lascelles in a similar situation. seems optimistic 

Totally different circumstance though isn't it?

Loan fee comes off this years accounts, and Phillips would likely command a large fee in next years accounts. If Lascelles does go, then the Turkish club can amortise the fee over the length of his contract. Say 3yr deal, that's a £2.3m per year commitment. We have to take care of our PSR situation, I've no idea what wriggle room Besiktas have.

Phillips hasn't played much at all, not even in the cups, Lascelles has played a lot, in the CL too. 

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

if that is true, i would ask why. he looks like exactly the sort of player that would have helped with our midfield crisis. capable of playing number 6 or number 8. 

perhaps we had concerns over his fitness, i dunno. i hope he doesn't turn out to be another diaby/madison. we have missed out on a number of players we were strongly linked with since last summer, all of whom did well elsewhere, while most of our transfers have underwhelmed for various reasons. i hope we don't live to regret this one too. 

Madison : we don’t play with a 10 (you know this) 

Diaby: They went for other positions and after Miggy’s decent showing last season stuck with him (you know this too) 

We can get an idea of what’s going on via the press but do you actually know if we bid for either of these?

Youve listed the mitigations why we didn’t sign KP, do you not think any of them actually stand up to scrutiny? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Madison : we don’t play with a 10 (you know this) 

Diaby: They went for other positions and after Miggy’s decent showing last season stuck with him (you know this too) 

We can get an idea of what’s going on via the press but do you actually know if we bid for either of these?

Youve listed the mitigations why we didn’t sign KP, do you not think any of them actually stand up to scrutiny? 

KP seemed like a no-brainer to me if, as suggested, there was no obligation to buy. he's exactly the sort of midfielder we're missing, capable of playing DM or further forwards. combative so would help fill in for Joe, who will miss the rest of the season. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Re Phillips, on paper he would have been a great choice, but he's barely played in 2 years and Man City obviously wanted to take the piss on the fee. 

It would have taken the rest of this season to get him up to speed in Howe's system at the cost of £7m.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Re Phillips, on paper he would have been a great choice, but he's barely played in 2 years and Man City obviously wanted to take the piss on the fee. 

It would have taken the rest of this season to get him up to speed in Howe's system at the cost of £7m.

For it to be worth our while he would’ve had  to have hit the ground running. Seeing as he’s not played for two seasons if he’d have been able to properly play Eddie ball before mid March I’d have been amazed :cuppa:

• Like 3

Good, at those prices it’s not worth it tbh. He probably has about £6m of book value so we’d only clear £6m for FFP. 

Phillips wasn’t worth it either imo. They wanted a lot and the upside of a Europa League finish wasn’t large enough to make up for the risk, we could finish there without him anyway. By the time he’s up to speed Willock will be back as well. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Lets be honest. Dubs, Lascelles, Wilson, Miggy.  These are the players that all need upgrading.  

They do, but until they are upgraded it's a dangerous game to play. Selling Dubs or Miggy at the minute could be suicidal without having someone ready made to come in - whether that be a player coming back from injury or buying/loaning someone.

Wilson would be less of a blow purely because he's always injured but he'd still need replaced pretty sharpish. Can this Man City kid who looks suspiciously like Haaland suddenly realise he's a Haaland clone? That would be ideal tbh.

13 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

They do, but until they are upgraded it's a dangerous game to play. Selling Dubs or Miggy at the minute could be suicidal without having someone ready made to come in - whether that be a player coming back from injury or buying/loaning someone.

Wilson would be less of a blow purely because he's always injured but he'd still need replaced pretty sharpish. Can this Man City kid who looks suspiciously like Haaland suddenly realise he's a Haaland clone? That would be ideal tbh.

Well he’s not a Haaland clone because apparently he’s an attacking midfielder . The fellah who came from citeh to run our recruitment may think he’s ready for the first team? 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔

Edited by PaddockLad

40 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Maybe we were only entertaining a conversation because we weren't able to shift anyone else? But now Lascelles + who knows else might be out the door, they don't need to sell?

Just Man City didn’t put an obligation to buy clause on the Phillips/West Ham deal that doesn’t mean we were offered him on the same terms 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

good news. his game has never been about explosive pace so he should have at least another couple of seasons at the highest level in him and he is our de facto captain. would have been a big loss. i would like to see howe start to rotate him more with tino next season to give him more of a rest. 

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2024-25 season